Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger Thoughts?

Roethlisberger Thoughts?

After the alleged incident and aftermath, there were numerous stories shooting around the internet from TMZ to ESPN.com. Many of these seemed to paint the reception of Big Ben as negative in Pittsburgh, almost opining that the city would rather give him the boot than root for their two-time champion QB another season.

From across the country on the opposite coast, I found it hard to believe that locals hated Big Ben this much, to the point that they'd be willing to plunge into the 2010-11 season with one of my state's patron QB's, Dennis Dixon. So my few questions for locals [what this site is intended for, right?]:

1. Does off-the-field behavior influence your rooting interest in a player?

2. Would you have supported parting ways with Big Ben?

3. What is Big Ben's responsibility as a role model and what is his responsibility as the current face of the franchise?

2. Thoughts

I am in school currently in Florida, but I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I had already heard many stories about his behavior in town and in the past I brushed it off as rumors and haters. I told myself the first accuser was a money and fame grabber. Now , however, things have changed for me. I watched and rooted for him, I defended him, I still have fond memories of the two Super Bowl victories. After GA, I wanted him traded and I still do. I know he will be difficult to replace but I don't care. My family has always had a very close tie to the Steelers, we have family functions around games, we watch as a family, we cheer as a family. In general we are too invested in a sports team, and yet we are. I don't want to watch him, and hope he succeeds. Crazy or not I would rather watch and cheer on a Dixon lead 6 or 7 win team than Roethlisbereger lead playoff one. I know people will say that its easy to say now, and that I will change my tune midseason but I don't think I will. I want to continue to feel the joy of rooting along with my grandmother, parents , aunts, uncles and everyone else and have all of us feel close to the team.

Raised in Pittsburgh, reside in Minnesota
    I think too many people associate a direct link between a player on the field, and the person off of it.

I find what Ben is accused of doing reprehensible and disgusting beyond description. To an extent, I watch sports as a means of taking a break from reality, so evaluating Ben the Person when he's taking snaps from Hartwig ruins that break.

Let's be honest, it's a cruel, unjust and hateful world. The NFL is something we revel in because it appears to have conquered that, and established just rules that are followed by all sides. And in that, the victor will be the victor, over everyone. Obviously all of this is a charade, but the reason it's a multi-billion dollar industry/brand is because average schmos like me believe fully what I just wrote. They just don't want to discuss or admit it, because it ruins the frail, false world we live in.

I'm ranting now, but as a Steelers fan, I can say this, I'm dreading Week 1 against Atlanta, because at some point (probably as quickly as CBS can hype one of their 20 CSI shows), they'll show a Roethlisberger highlight montage, and discuss what the Steelers will be without him.

The entire bar will be silent, and everyone will sober up, mentally and physically, because we are realizing we care more at that moment about our team winning than whether the leader of our team is a deviant. We want to keep that reality break alive. We refuse to admit this is how we're feeling, because Ben was a golden boy when he rattled off a 15-1 season when he was rookie. He was just a shade below Peyton and Brady when he won his first Super Bowl. He was bound for Canton when he won his second one. Now, all of that has changed. We've sobered up, and are doing whatever we can in our own minds to get past it and keep rooting for the team as if none of this is happening.

Two issues I'd like to raise to those reading this: 1. If your quarterback suddenly showed his true colors, would you support him? I don't think you will, but you will stay loyal to the team above anything else, up to and including ignoring the fact your leader is a deviant. 2. You will notice far less noise at Heinz Field this year when Ben is playing. Know right now that silence won't be because people aren't sure whether it's right to root for him; it'll be because the sobering thought creeped back into their heads, and they need a moment to push it out again.

4. I like Ben, but you could see this creeping up. I think they have his attention now. He needs to make some changes in his life, like we all had to make. It will probably have to be the oldest cure of them all for men.....GET MARRIED. Amazing what you will learn.

Raised in Pittsburgh, reside in Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
    I like Ben, but you could see this creeping up. I think they have his attention now. He needs to make some changes in his life, like we all had to make. It will probably have to be the oldest cure of them all for men.....GET MARRIED. Amazing what you will learn.
    And no doubt, women are knocking down the door to earn the prize of whipping that guy into shape...I'm sure mom and dad will be slap-happy with the idea that Little Suzy is bringing him to Easter Brunch.

Terry Bradshaw once said in an interview to never marry a groupie. He says to wait until you are out of the game and your fame has faded somewhat, so you can find a woman who loves you for who you are, not because of your position or bank account. I am not sure what Ben needs to do to change his behavior-when your encounters with women are ending with lawsuits and criminal allegations, something is seriously wrong. Getting married should be the least of his concerns at this time, though after a couple years of personal development, he may be ready for a real relationship with a woman.

Ben does need to change his associates and friends, and do that real fast (especially those so-called bodyguards)-if you lie down with dogs, you will get fleas. Ben should then find the most religious and upright family member that he can, and have that person move in with him to help influence him in the right ways. He should find other upright (read the meaning-sober) people to hang with and support his new and improved lifestyle. Any therapy and programs won't change diddly poo if he keeps hanging out with party boys and people who cheer him on when he is passing out shots to every hot chick within Patriot missile range. The Cowboys hired 'minders' to live with Pacman Jones full time to help keep him on the right path. While the Pacman experiment failed in Dallas, the hiring of 'minders' to monitor Ben and keep him straight would be a good idea, for at least a year or so. Hopefully by that point, he will be entrenched in his new clean life. Given that the Steelers have invested huge money in him already, paying a couple extra salaries to keep Ben straight is a good investment.

We all have made mistakes, and have had to make changes. While Ben's situation is far more serious than most of us have to face, we should at least give him a chance to show he can be a decent person. If he fails again, he will truly deserve our reproach.

Trading Ben would have been difficult-his salary is high, and given the off-field issues, teams would not be willing to part with 1st round draft picks in exchange. Hershel Walker type trades just don't happen anymore. The situation with Ben and the Steelers reminds me of the 80's song 'Happy To Be Stuck With You'. He is an above average QB with a strong arm, and there are not many QBs out there who could reasonably replace him. He will probably remain a Steeler as long as there are no more off-field issues. When his contract expires, will the Steelers re-sign Ben, or move forward with Dennis Dixon (or someone else)?

If there are additional off-field issues, all bets are off-the Steelers will dump him in a fire sale or cut him.

8. 1. Does off-the-field behavior influence your rooting interest in a player?
    yep, who wants to root for someone who you wouldn't want living next door to you?

2. Would you have supported parting ways with Big Ben?
    yep, in his particular case, he's had ample wake up calls to get some maturity going...

3. What is Big Ben's responsibility as a role model and what is his responsibility as the current face of the franchise?
    more broadly.... the NFL wants to promote itself as america's new pastime.... that infers appeal to the widest possible demographic... which is gonna include families..... which makes them role models for OUR KIDS.

I can tell you: I am sick and tired of having debates with my kids and their friends trying to prove that it's best to get good grades, be responsible, and do the right thing when they can respond: "ben/mike/albert/ has no problem raping/killing dogs/refusing to do his job and getting paid $30M"

the NFL likes trying to pose themselves as being zero tolerance on conduct... but the reality is that kids are really good at boiling it down to the truth: you can murder / rape / conspire / assault / traffic / just plain not do your job...... and the NFL might make you sit out a year..... then give you at least 5 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by anuoldman View Post
    you can murder / rape / conspire / assault / traffic / just plain not do your job...... and the NFL might make you sit out a year
    Not even that. As far as I know Rae Carruth hasn't been suspended.

Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordeci View Post
    Not even that. As far as I know Rae Carruth hasn't been suspended.

Too soon?
    I feel bad that I laughed. I hate you now.

As a fan, I know that my feelings for Big Ben have soured a lot. I'm not a Steelers fan but I used to watch their games because I enjoyed his style on the field. Now, I don't think I'll be as interested in their games.