Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Tossing the Ball Around: FP Writers Weigh In on Pats Penalties

Article: Tossing the Ball Around: FP Writers Weigh In on Pats Penalties

As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

2. Oh, man, this just keeps getting worse for the league. It turns out the officials only tested four Colts' footballs at halftime. The general incompetence and ridiculous anti-Patriots bias shown by the league is damning, to say the least.

Yep, Mr. Kensil you really put the hammer to 'em.

{}

What people seem to be missing about this is that the coverup is far worse than the crime itself. If Tom Brady at some point had said "Yeah, I like my balls a little bit underinflated. And I told my equipment guys that I like it that way. I am sorry for what has happened and I will do my best to work with the NFL to protect the integrity of the game." Brady gets a $25,000 fine, end of story. Its not the crime, its the coverup. We are a forgiving nation. Heck, we forgive steroid users who come out and admit that they did it. So certainly a huge portion of the population would have forgave Brady.

I sure hope this fight and defiance is worth it to Brady, because a significantly portion of the population is going to forever brand him a cheater and never forgive him. He may get his suspension overturned, but his reputation is going to be forever tarnished regardless.

4. A renowned smart dude calls bull**** on the Wells report.

In summary I believe the data available on ball pressures can be explained on the basis of physical law, without manipulation. The scientific analysis in the Wells Report was a good attempt to seek the truth, however, it was based on data that are simply insufficient. In experimental science to reach a meaningful conclusion we make measurements multiple times under well-defined physical conditions. This is how we deal with the error or ‘spread’ of measured values. In the pressure measurements physical conditions were not very well-defined and major uncertainties, such as which gauge was used in pre-game measurements, affect conclusions. Finally, the claim of a statistically significant difference in pressure drop between the two team balls regardless of which gauge was used did not account for the fact that the Colts balls were apparently measured at the end of halftime since the officials ran out of time and made only four measurements – in other words, the Colts balls were measured after the Patriots balls and had warmed up more. For the above reasons, the Wells Report conclusion that physical law cannot explain the pressures is incorrect.

Roderick MacKinnon
    Professor, Nobel Laureate Chemistry
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

I'm going to push back a little bit here. From the Patriots:

This is insulting to my intelligence. Something was clearly going on, it's just a question of how good the proof is and how much it matters even if it is true. Anyway, you guys had four months to come up with a story, and this is what you've got?
    Last edited by Matt Kocsan; 05-14-2015 at 12:05 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    What people seem to be missing about this is that the coverup is far worse than the crime itself. If Tom Brady at some point had said "Yeah, I like my balls a little bit underinflated. And I told my equipment guys that I like it that way. I am sorry for what has happened and I will do my best to work with the NFL to protect the integrity of the game." Brady gets a $25,000 fine, end of story. Its not the crime, its the coverup. We are a forgiving nation. Heck, we forgive steroid users who come out and admit that they did it. So certainly a huge portion of the population would have forgave Brady.

I sure hope this fight and defiance is worth it to Brady, because a significantly portion of the population is going to forever brand him a cheater and never forgive him. He may get his suspension overturned, but his reputation is going to be forever tarnished regardless.
    I think TB12 believes he can prove the balls were in fact, inflated properly before the game. IOW, there was no coverup because there was no infraction.

That would be my stance as well. The NFL - in its zeal to appear righteous - grossly overstepped this time and they are going to end up feeling the hammer fall, not Brady (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    I think TB12 believes he can prove the balls were in fact, inflated properly before the game. IOW, there was no coverup because there was no infraction.

That would be my stance as well. The NFL - in its zeal to appear righteous - grossly overstepped this time and they are going to end up feeling the hammer fall, not Brady (IMHO).
    I think this is a touch too rosy. I also think this clause, which PFT wrote up, is going to be a problem for Brady in getting the suspension completely expunged.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

Just two guys, talking about how they're trying to gain and/or lose weight, right?

Now, none of this proves that there was a problem with the footballs specifically on the day of the AFC Championship, but don't treat me like I'm a moron.

Okay, I now dislike everyone involved. The entire league. The media. The fans. Us. Me. I'm going to go watch some DeGrassi Junior High.

When do games start?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Okay, I now dislike everyone involved. The entire league. The media. The fans. Us. Me. I'm going to go watch some DeGrassi Junior High.

When do games start?
    http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/...030515aad.html
    http://www.arenafootball.com/ot/afl-on-espn3.html
    http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/...030415aae.html

AFL, man. It's all about the AFL.