Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: New Movie/TV Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Is that on Netflix already? I wanted to watch that. It's connected to heroes reborn
    Showed up this month. Seriously, worse than Andromeda. One qualifier: I have only seen the first half hour. They have broken just about every rule of good storytelling, plus it is lit and designed in a black on black with black highlights and deep shadows, so it doesn't even look interesting.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    SPOILER ALERT for Dark Matter.

!
    N
    N
    N
    Nn
    N
    Nn
    Nn
    N
    N
    N

There are two actors in the first half hour who can speak in character without appearing to think about it. There is a red herring in the first ten minutes, which as a bonus turns the only really intense moment into a fake out. There is no bad guy or set of bad guys. They try to create tension and mistrust within the primary characters right off the bat with the most obvious alternative available, but they have structured the thing in such a way that only one of them can be mistrusted based on the big mystery. It was not written in a smart way.

Imagine a show written and directed by someone who didn't like or understand the appeal of Firefly or Farscape* but wanted to try to sell something to the audience for those shows. This writer-director also doesn't understand subtlety, the slow roll, or how to build a long term story arc without a routine application of dues ex machine. In other words, written by an Shonda Rimes without her sense of humor working and directed by Brett Ratner (ptuui.)

*really it is just ripping off Firefly with e smarts, depth, or humor. I just love Farscape and much like an Ivy Leaguer will shoehorn it in there where it doesn't necessarily belong with no prompting whatsoever.
    Last edited by ScottDCP; 10-29-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

If you have Amazon Prime, "The Man in the High Castle" is incredibly cool if you like the idea of alternate realities when it comes from the history of WWII. The premise is controversial and based on a book, but the drama is pretty darn good, IMO. Being a nut about history myself, the way the Axis are portrayed is pretty darn good.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

Blog Entries
    Recently seen on Netfkix, e5c:

Stretch - Pa r Rick Wilson and some oddity. Not maybe the best thing ever, but enjoyable.

Damages, which is apparently almost 10 years 9ld. About a dozen episodes in. Ted Danson is outstanding. The rest, dullish.

Outsourced. Nice indie romcom. Despite male lead bearing shocking resemblance to one of biggest as Sholes I know.
    Last edited by ScottDCP; 01-03-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Damages just ended in 2012, so its not that old, but I do need to get back to it. Season 1 was great, I lost track with it in season 2 and need to find my way back.

Netflix - How to make a murderer
    It's the flavor of the week so I assume most have heard about it. It's a 10 part documentary series about a guy who was wrongfully convicted of one crime and later charged with another. Well worth watching, a lot of drama. Be forewarned, it's not at all objective.

Jessica Jones. I tend to watch, but not love, the super hero shows and movies. They're good time wasters to watch on the treadmill. I'm only 3 episodes in but this one seems to be better than most.

I'll second Polish's recommendation of Man in the high castle. I'm only 2 episodes in because that's all they'll let me download to watch offline and my non-airplane viewing time is obviously limited right now but I like what I've seen so far. Probably binge watch it once the season's over.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Netflix - How to make a murderer
    It's the flavor of the week so I assume most have heard about it. It's a 10 part documentary series about a guy who was wrongfully convicted of one crime and later charged with another. Well worth watching, a lot of drama. Be forewarned, it's not at all objective.

Jessica Jones. I tend to watch, but not love, the super hero shows and movies. They're good time wasters to watch on the treadmill. I'm only 3 episodes in but this one seems to be better than most.

I'll second Polish's recommendation of Man in the high castle. I'm only 2 episodes in because that's all they'll let me download to watch offline and my non-airplane viewing time is obviously limited right now but I like what I've seen so far. Probably binge watch it once the season's over.
    Murderer and High Castle are close to the top of my offseason list as well.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

haven't watched Making of a Murderer, but continue to hear great things about it.

Jessica Jones, as someone who loves the Marvel Cinematic/TV Universe, I actually found this to be one of my least favorite entries to it. I wasn't a big Kristen Rytter fan going in, but she grew on me. David Tennant on the other hand is one of the best villains Marvel has put on screen yet. For some reason, something just felt missing though. A lot of it had to do with the directing and style choices. It had the style/tone of a cheesy 80's private eye (complete with the voiceover narration) that just seemed to rub me the wrong way. It didn't feel modern, as opposed to DareDevil that managed to be dark and gritty, but still feel like 2015.

Blog Entries
    Tried:

1. Jessica J9nes. Didn't make it 3 minutes. A few things they did, I just cannot stand. Voice over 81 the first minute telling me who I am seeing and what they are doing. I would rather discover. Woman on toilet, the u started well by having her on the phone, but stayed ten seconds after she hung up.

2. Pitch Perfect 2. Pacing issues, some self indulgent directorial choicss, not enough singing, BUT the good outweighed the bad.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    2. Pitch Perfect 2. Pacing issues, some self indulgent directorial choicss, not enough singing, BUT the good outweighed the bad.
    I haven't seen it and probably won't but I have seen one scene which I consider to be among the most disturbing in any movie: