Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T.J. Houshmandzadeh joins Ravens

T.J. Houshmandzadeh joins Ravens

In a surprise move, the Baltimore Ravens signed former Seattle Seahawks receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on a one-year contract.

Walker: Ravens Have Super Plans
    The Ravens, who have serious Super Bowl aspirations, showed they're leaving nothing to chance by signing T.J. Houshmandzadeh, James Walker writes. Blog

Houshmandzadeh's deal is worth $855,000, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Seattle still owes Houshmandzadeh $6.15 million, meaning the receiver will make a total of $7 million this season.

To make room for Houshmandzadeh, the Ravens traded receiver Mark Clayton to the St. Louis Rams. A league source told ESPN that the Rams sent a sixth-round pick to Baltimore and got Clayton and a seventh-round pick in return.

Houshmandzadeh told USA Today that linebacker Ray Lewis recruited him to the Ravens.

"Ray said, 'If you want to win, this is the place to be,' '' Houshmandzadeh told the newspaper. "The way he is on the field is how he is off the field. Passionate. Our conversation was passionate and insightful.

"I know from competing against those guys when I was in Cincinnati how it is in Baltimore.''

Houshmandzadeh told USA Today that he chose the Ravens for a chance to win a Super Bowl.

What A Catch
    The Baltimore Ravens agreed to a deal with T.J. Houshmanzadeh, who is among the NFL leaders in all wide receiver categories since 2004.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    NFL Ranks by WR, Since '04
    Receptions 524 2nd*
    Rec. yds 5,973 12th
    TD 39 10th
    * -- Behind Reggie Wayne

"Baltimore was about a chance to win the ring,'' Houshmandzadeh told the newspaper. "Five or six teams have a legit shot to win a Super Bowl this year and they were one of them. Without me.

"Although I had other options and I was seriously considering those, I just couldn't pass this up. Winning is why we play sports.''

Houshmandzadeh ultimately decided to join a team in the same division as the team that drafted him -- the Cincinnati Bengals.

Houshmandzadeh now will join a stable of wide receivers that includes Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason and Donte' Stallworth.

Stallworth, however, broke his foot in the preseason and is expected to return after the Ravens' bye week in late October.

Houshmandzadeh, the Seahawks' leading receiver last season, signed a $40 million, five-year deal with Seattle before the 2009 season. But he came to Seattle under a different regime with Jim Mora as coach and Tim Ruskell the general manager. Both Mora and Ruskell were gone after Seattle went 5-11 last season and replaced by new coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider.

Last season, Houshmandzadeh caught 79 passes for 911 yards and three touchdowns, his fewest receptions since 2005 and his fewest touchdowns since 2002.

"He's another proven weapon for our offense -- a big receiver with good hands and toughness. The one other thing that every coach and player we talked with about him indicated is that T.J. is a driven player with an excellent work ethic," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement.

Clayton, Baltimore's 2005 first-round pick (22nd overall), leaves with a franchise-record nine 100-yard receiving games.

"Mark is a good person who did everything he could to help the Ravens on and off the field," Newsome said. "In the end, we have to do what we think is best for the team, but letting Mark go hurts. He was first class all the way, even when we met with him about the trade. This is a tough part of the business."
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    This will be fun to see happen; He could be used at the same time as Anquan Boldin to give some trouble to folks like Revis. I think it'll work out but I do notice the deal is only for one year. Again, it'll be a fun watch!
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    The best part will be Seattle footing about a $6 Million bill.

Ozzie Newsome: "Ok, we'll give you a late round draft pick and you give us Josh Wilson, one of your starting corners. While you're at it, why don't you release the only reliable WR on your roster. Then we'll sign him and you still get to pay him $6,000,000. Deal?"

John Schneider: "Deal."

I like to imagine that's how it happened.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

I predict TJ will fade pretty fast. His style of play (absorbing big hits over the middle) and the fact that injuries are starting to catch him doesn't bode well for his future. At least the Seahawks are paying him bank to NOT play for them. The Ravens might benefit from this signing in the short term due to Boldin and Heaps's injury issues and Mason's age. Maybe he will flourish there with a QB that is more likely to dump off passes than throw it deep.

Ravens defense is a big question mark, though. If the offense is going to be required to score a lot of points to win games, I'd be worried if I were Ravens fan.

Quote Originally Posted by WashProWilly View Post
    I predict TJ will fade pretty fast. His style of play (absorbing big hits over the middle) and the fact that injuries are starting to catch him doesn't bode well for his future. At least the Seahawks are paying him bank to NOT play for them. The Ravens might benefit from this signing in the short term due to Boldin and Heaps's injury issues and Mason's age. Maybe he will flourish there with a QB that is more likely to dump off passes than throw it deep.

Ravens defense is a big question mark, though. If the offense is going to be required to score a lot of points to win games, I'd be worried if I were Ravens fan.
    Honestly, I got more concerned this morning when the news of the signing broke. It's pretty fair to assume Housh will still be around in wk. 2 so as a Bengal fan, the D's job just got a little harder. It still comes down to the Birds secondary tho and an improved Bengals passing attack. I guess we'll find out soon enough, but this is gonna be a season to remember however things turn out in the AFCN.
    Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 09-06-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    My hypocrisy goes only so far.

Pro Bowl WR to a #3 WR on a run-first team..
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WashProWilly View Post
    Since when did the defense become a question mark? This front seven is one of the best in the league. The secondary isn't going to be as bad as everyone makes it out to be either. Washington and Webb have progressed ahead of schedule and now that they're healthy they bolster the unit significantly, not to mention Josh Wilson' arrival.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    I guess if/when Boldin can't go he could be effective. Otherwise, they have guys on the roster that do what he does. They need a guy to stretch it. If he's an upgrade from Clayton, it's a one year deal on the cheap so it can't hurt, can it? Locker room wise he has a rep. The Ravens have that veteran leadership, so no problem likely there. He could be good depth. I'll bet he's happy to be seeing the Bengals twice a year.

TJ is a big enough upgrade over Clayton so I can see why this move was made. While Clayton is younger his injury concerns have hampered his ability to stay on the field. The one thing Clayton had problems with is the one thing that TJ excels at, catching the ball over the middle in traffic.

It is odd though, while I dislike Chad Johnson, TJ was the one Bengal receiver that always scared me with his play on the field. He seemed to always make catches no matter what we did vs him. Now, I will be cheering for him to do just that for the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Since when did the defense become a question mark? This front seven is one of the best in the league. The secondary isn't going to be as bad as everyone makes it out to be either. Washington and Webb have progressed ahead of schedule and now that they're healthy they bolster the unit significantly, not to mention Josh Wilson' arrival.
    Well, lets see...Ray Lewis is getting pretty up there in years...Ed Reed will be out for awhile, and he's the best player on that defense...no CB's of quality...no Sergio Kindle...I don't know why I would be concerned either!