Thread: Jason Allen Named Starter at Cornerback

Jason Allen Named Starter at Cornerback

Sean Smith somehow showed poor performance during the pre-season. Jason Allen, after five years now has an opportunity to show why he was drafted in the first round. Should we be concerned that Sean Smith lost his starting position after a stellar rookie year or should we look at it as a positive that Jason Allen has showed enough to convince the coaches that he should start? If this now places Sean Smith at the nickle position, now I feel good about our chances against some of the top passing teams in the league.

I think this move was made more out of Smiths poor pre-season than anything Allen has done,Miami's defensive backfield looks to be the clear weak spot on this team. This has not been a good pre-season for Miami, don't know really what to expect come game time Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DM138385 View Post
    I think this move was made more out of Smiths poor pre-season than anything Allen has done,Miami's defensive backfield looks to be the clear weak spot on this team. This has not been a good pre-season for Miami, don't know really what to expect come game time Sunday.
    They are trying to sell it as just the opposite but I think everyone see's it as it is. Smith has not looked right this preseason, far more mistakes than what you would expect. Vontae has been terrific. I sincerely hope that Jason Allen has progressed because we sure do need him right now.
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

Quote Originally Posted by DM138385 View Post
    Agreed, Smith has not looked good. But he was good enough to start part of last year. So hopefully he's able to correct his mechanics that impressed the coaches enough last year to put him in the starting lineup. Also, you have to consider that the secondary is only as good as the level of pressure being applied at the line. Let's hope the guys up front are able to put little more pressure on the QB.

Well, well. Jason Allen played a solid game yesterday. Certainly he surprised me. I am not ready to annoint him with the position permanantly, but he earned the right to start again next week. Maybe Smith losing his starting spot will be enough of a wakeup call to get him to man up and earn his spot back.
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    Well, well. Jason Allen played a solid game yesterday. Certainly he surprised me. I am not ready to annoint him with the position permanantly, but he earned the right to start again next week. Maybe Smith losing his starting spot will be enough of a wakeup call to get him to man up and earn his spot back.
    Agree, Allen had a solid game yesterday just hope the CB's can start holding on to those potential INT's. This game should not have come down to the 4th quarter with the way the defense played.Although ANY win in week one is good next week Miami better be ready for the Vikings best shot.