Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Depression

1. Sports Depression

I am still reeling from the NFC Championship game. After having lived through Gary Anderson and 41-Donut, I thought that I would have been prepared for fumble, fumble, fumble (recovered), INT (should have been called back), fumble (recovered), fumble, INT. I wasn't. That game sent me into a sport depression, the likes of which I have not seen in my life. The next two months did not see a single visit to profootballtalk, saw hardly any visits to ESPN and basically left me feeling listless toward any sport. Luckily a great NCAA tournament pulled me out of my funk and I am not ready to start thinking about another NFL season. It's a double-edged sword though. The only hope for 2010 rests on the shoulders of a guy I really dislike: Brett Favre. He'll hem and haw and waffle and flat out say he is not coming back. He is. Third or fourth pre-season game, he'll return. But to what end? So that Childress can continue with such an unfounded arrogance the likes of which haven't been seen since Charlie Weiss went on a recruiting visit? So Berrian can drop another crucial third down pass? So AD can fumble, and fumble and look so spectacular so that you feel bad about blaming him for fumbling? So Touchdown Tommy Vardell Reprised can vulture a bunch of TDs from AD and screw my fantasy team? But then there is Rice breaking free down the middle. Winfield destroying a back off the corner. AD doing things I haven't seen in years. Another year in the evolution of Harvin. The front four. And Favre pulling out a last second win. Let's hope it happens in February this time.

I used to not care about the Vikings, then He-Who-Does-Not-Deserve-To-Be-Named joined them and I am officially a hater. So far, my favorite sports moments of 2010 go something like this:
    1. The Favre Interception
    2. Landon Donovan's Goal
    3. The Hayward Last-Second Brick
    4. The Ron Artest Press Conference
    5. The Manning Interception

So, just be assured that your misery is not in vain. Many reap enjoyment out of it.
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

The Ron Artest press conference was television gold, Chilly.

My season ended with a total schlacking at the hands of the Vikings in the second round of the playoffs wherein Ray Edwards, the Williams wall, and Jared Freak-Of-Nature Allen completely embarrassed the Cowboys' offensive line and Favre ran up the score on us ending any hopes of an NFC championship game. Prior to that we had flopped and rolled over for thirteen years to the dismay of Cowboys fans nationwide. Any success we have is immediately overshadowed by childish antics from either the locker room or the luxury box, and amidst all this we've gone through like 15 kickers in 10 seasons. Being a Cowboys fan has sucked for quite awhile.

I keep myself entertained during the off season by watching Wimbledon, The Masters, World Cup (this year), and trying to keep up with baseball. There's very little going on until camp starts.

As a Giants fan I knew my season was over in like week 14. Sheridan was just an awful defensive coordinator. Luckily the Yankees keep my hopes up... Otherwisethe Knicks seemingly not getting LeBron would crush me.

This is classic Vikings fan depression. Just curious, SeaChange, do you live in MN too? If so, to make matters worse, you had two more months of frigid temps to live through! I look at it this way: would you rather be a Lions fan or a Browns fan, and go into every season knowing you have no shot at the Super Bowl or even the playoffs? Or would you be a Vikings fan, and know that we have probably a top-5 team in the league (still), a quarterback who has a ring and is still one of the best in the game, even at 40? Take away the fumbles in the NFC Title game last year and we win that game going away. It's just one of those things that rarely happens, but when it does happens seems to happen to the Vikings, at the worst possible times. But this team has enough talent to get to and win the Super Bowl. It's just a matter of making it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    My season ended with a total schlacking at the hands of the Vikings in the second round of the playoffs wherein Ray Edwards, the Williams wall, and Jared Freak-Of-Nature Allen completely embarrassed the Cowboys' offensive line...
    As I Vikings fan, I will never understand Jason Garrett's reasoning for (more than a few times) trying to block Jared Allen one-on-one with Jason Witten, a pass-catching tight end. I know Flozell got hurt, but come on, man...

Blog Entries
    To me Jared Allen is a question mark. He beats the left side of the Cowboys line like a drum, then barely shows up against the Saints. Most of his sacks came against Green Bay before they got healthy. Take away those games and his numbers are not that great. The 'Boys are in trouble on the left side with Free (turnstile) and Barron ( too tall, gets killed by the speed rush). Jared eats those guys up, but is only slightly above average against quality left tackles. I'm not buying into the preseason Cowboys hype, the Vikings have more horses, but will only go where Favre takes them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobber66 View Post
    As I Vikings fan, I will never understand Jason Garrett's reasoning for (more than a few times) trying to block Jared Allen one-on-one with Jason Witten, a pass-catching tight end. I know Flozell got hurt, but come on, man...

I agree bluestree, and I hate it when people talk up Jared Allen based on what he did against the Cowboys. It was bad coaching by Garrett, just like in the two Packers games, when McCarthy didn't give the weak left side of his line enough help, that allowed Allen to have a couple big games.

And that's coming from a Vikings fan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cobber66 View Post
    I agree bluestree, and I hate it when people talk up Jared Allen based on what he did against the Cowboys. It was bad coaching by Garrett, just like in the two Packers games, when McCarthy didn't give the weak left side of his line enough help, that allowed Allen to have a couple big games.

And that's coming from a Vikings fan
    I still think he's a beast, he just gets a little too much pub. I think he would benefit from a will 'backer behind him a little better than Leber. With the Wall and Allen sucking up all those blockers, the will in a cover 2 should be the number one playmaker on the defense (think Derrick Brooks).

10. I was wondering how the people in Minnesota handled that loss. I was cringing and I had no rooting interest. Do the Vikings have one more run with Brett? It seemed almost too easy for him last year. Amazing what he did with a new team and no camp. When you lose a chance at a Championship, (I lost 2 Super Bowls) you feel like you should be allowed to go right back the the championship game and try it again. The long grind of starting from training camp to have that chance again can break fragile spirits.