Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Wagers and Lagers, Special Edition: A Brady--Goodell Snarkapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kocsan View Post
    The only good thing about this whole saga is that I think I've learned how to spell Garoppolo. Probably.
    And we get to see who is the best Eastern Illinois QB in Week 5. Romo or that backup from New England who I can't spell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    and I've learned how to spell Jimmmy. Possibly. Maybe not.
    By Jimminy you have!!!

Blog Entries
    I am a pats hater, but I am rooting for them to go 19-0 this year.

We all know there are 3 basic tenets of this suspension:

1) The owners finally get to turn the knife on the Pats, who keep beating them by being smarter and flaunting it.

2) The League gets to show that it isn't just country club preppies punishing punks from the 'hood, a sentiment which has been swirling for awhile.

3) The League gets to show that if you don't confess and you don't self-incriminate, the punishment goes nuclear. A useful reminder as we wade into the DV zone. Remind me, who was the #1 draft pick this year???

All of which have nothing to do with the Ideal Gas Law. (Motto: "Ideal Gas...it's not just a good idea...it's the Law")

Also, did Brady pick up an endorsement deal with Apple?

Somehow not THE ONION: Junior Gallette, recently cut by the New Orleans Saints, tells a DC radio station after signing with the Redskins that he's 'thankful to be with such a functional organization.' That's a direct quote.

LINK to the New Orleans Times-Pic: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...medium=twitter

Since I'm just tossing open thread things here for consumption, the CFL is on over on ESPN2 right now. Edmonton against Saskatchewan, which will feel like a college football bizarro world to you, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    The NFL - due to its own utter incompetence - had no legit reason to even be suspicious, Mike. That's the whole point.

@Rich - maybe its time to close this thread and move the discussion to the new W&L?
    The league had reason to be suspicious biggie. 2 other teams reported what they thought was an issue. Then the report of the ball deflation as measured during the game. Remember, it's not a court of law. Nothing needs to be proven past "more reasonable than not". No forensic or physics experts get involved in employment issues, EVER (I guess unless the employer is one of forensics or physics experts).

This is what's pissing me off. It's not a criminal case, never will be, never has to be. It's a matter of employment law. Too many, including you applying that filter to it. That's why Minnesota kicked the fed case. They know it's a turd and they don't want to sully their stellar record of taking on the big, bad NFL and siding with their opponents.

With the info the league had it launched an investigation that unearthed the other stuff that made it completely impossible for anyone with a fully functioning brain to believe that Brady wasn't willfully involved in what he was accused of by 2 separate teams at the start of the entire fiasco.

It's an employment issue, one bound by the CBA. One that the league has followed, that crybrady hasn't. He's no legs to stand on challenging the punishment. It's why Doty kicked it to another court under the guise of having "no ties " to the case. I promise you if the case had a chance of being a winner, it would have been heard in Doty 's court.

I'm sorry but the Patriots have a culture of cheating. One crybrady has willingly played a part in for a very long time. He did what he was accused of according to employment law, as you apply the CBA in this situation.

This entire fiasco has been further fueled by crybrady and kraft being delta bravo's to the nth degree mixed with poor reporting by the media, multiplied by too many that don't understand the differences between criminal vs employment law.

All that poor reporting and misnformation was reasonably believable enough at the time to launch the investigation that led to the info we have now that shows crybrady played a part.

We all know he did, my question is why is anyone enraged about it? The system is designed to catch cheaters. That's exactly what it did here. Perhaps it didn't do so in most straight line way, but It did...

The league isn't incompetent, not even a little. They do exactly what they do for a reason. One bound by the CBA...
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 08-02-2015 at 02:58 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    The league had reason to be suspicious biggie. 2 other teams reported what they thought was an issue. Then the report of the ball deflation as measured during the game. Remember, it's not a court of law. Nothing needs to be proven past "more reasonable than not". No forensic or physics experts get involved in employment issues, EVER (I guess unless the employer is one of forensics or physics experts).

This is what's pissing me off. It's not a criminal case, never will be, never has to be. It's a matter of employment law. Too many, including you applying that filter to it. That's why Minnesota kicked the fed case. They know it's a turd and they don't want to sully their stellar record of taking on the big, bad NFL and siding with their opponents.

With the info the league had it launched an investigation that unearthed the other stuff that made it completely impossible for anyone with a fully functioning brain to believe that Brady wasn't willfully involved in what he was accused of by 2 separate teams at the start of the entire fiasco.

It's an employment issue, one bound by the CBA. One that the league has followed, that crybrady hasn't. He's no legs to stand on challenging the punishment. It's why Doty kicked it to another court under the guise of having "no ties " to the case. I promise you if the case had a chance of being a winner, it would have been heard in Doty 's court.

I'm sorry but the Patriots have a culture of cheating. One crybrady has willingly played a part in for a very long time. He did what he was accused of according to employment law, as you apply the CBA in this situation.

This entire fiasco has been further fueled by crybrady and kraft being delta bravo's to the nth degree mixed with poor reporting by the media, multiplied by too many that don't understand the differences between criminal vs employment law.

All that poor reporting and misnformation was reasonably believable enough at the time to launch the investigation that led to the info we have now that shows crybrady played a part.

We all know he did, my question is why is anyone enraged about it? The system is designed to catch cheaters. That's exactly what it did here. Perhaps it didn't do so in most straight line way, but It did...

The league isn't incompetent, not even a little. They do exactly what they do for a reason. One bound by the CBA...
    Mike, you are correct on all fronts. However, you are ignoring the simple fact that the league had no business digging in anyone's backyard other than their own. I'll repeat - until I am blue in the face - the NFL had no business investigating ball inflation. The league had no established procedures or calibration standards by which to assess the veracity of the Ravens' and Colts' claims. Instead of saying "Man, we gotta do better, here. Our control over the football inflation levels sucks", the NFL has - through disinformation and an undoubtedly BIASED multi-million dollar "investigation" - levied unprecedented penalties against one of its member clubs and, possibly, its greatest QB ever.

So much bull****. Look in the mirror first. Address your own issues.

#FireKingFraudger
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

8. From Frank Schwab over at Shutdown Corner: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...163804158.html

[T]he NFL doesn't even really know how and if their footballs can deflate. In explaining the new procedures for marking air pressure of balls before a game (again, if this was The Biggest Deal In NFL History, the league wouldn't have waited 95 seasons to implement this procedure), Central Region supervisor of officials Gary Slaughter said footballs could have a slow leak and officials wouldn't know, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Mark Kaboly.

"These are man-made products,” Slaughter said, according to the Tribune-Review. “There is a bladder and a valve. We have all checked them for many years. Sometimes when you check the ball in the locker room right out of the box, there could be a problem. They could have a slow leak, and you wouldn't even know it at the time.”
    None of this is too mind-blowing, because it's clear the NFL knew practically nothing about footballs and their inflation levels before turning deflate-gate into the modern day Black Sox scandal. That an NFL supervisor of officials acknowledges that footballs are subject to losing air because they're "man-made products" lets you know there are other unanswered questions. How do footballs react in cold weather? Do some leak? Do some lose pressure normally during a game? These are all interesting questions that have never been looked at before. That didn't stop the NFL from deciding which evidence fit their punishment and hammering Tom Brady and the Patriots, but I'm sure the league will learn some of those answers now that they actually care enough about the issue to have a procedure in place to check it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Last edited by Patrick Sullivan; 08-03-2015 at 06:06 AM.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    Mike, you are correct on all fronts. However, you are ignoring the simple fact that the league had no business digging in anyone's backyard other than their own. I'll repeat - until I am blue in the face - the NFL had no business investigating ball inflation. The league had no established procedures or calibration standards by which to assess the veracity of the Ravens' and Colts' claims. Instead of saying "Man, we gotta do better, here. Our control over the football inflation levels sucks", the NFL has - through disinformation and an undoubtedly BIASED multi-million dollar "investigation" - levied unprecedented penalties against one of its member clubs and, possibly, its greatest QB ever.

So much bull****. Look in the mirror first. Address your own issues.

#FireKingFraudger
    Sorry biggie, but we will disagree again. The league doesn't need standards in this situation about how it measures this or that. The standard of "more likely than not" is good enough here too.

The NFL said not to under inflate the balls. 2 teams had an issue they reported. That report required the league do a deeper investigation. BTW, I do a hundred totally worthless investigations for every one that serves any legitimate purpose based on a similar report that was given by the Colts or ravens.

It's required due diligence in the business world. The investigation the league did unearthed all the stuff that has come out about the situation. All the stuff everyone with a functional brain knows that crybrady and the Pats did EXACTLY what they were accused of.

He did it. Everyone knows it. There's no way to "explain" it away. It's not a cause celebre'.

The penalties are exactly in lock step with what they should be.

BTW , the only reason this is even an issue is the PXSSY QBS legislated for control of the footballs.

The ONLY qbs the media considers "elite" that dont have a bull shart arm welcome "beach balls" or "don't care" about the ball inflation. Big Ben and Rodgers don't care what rock they get given.

The league created an issue by pandering to the weak armed pussy qbs. Use the rock you get handed son. If you cant, move aside and let another do so.... no need to let you manipulate it to your liking..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.