Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Try to predict roster as camp opens, again

Blog Entries
    I think that if they keep a third QB it will absolutely be Matt Simms.

Matthew Mulligan or Chris Gragg as third TE. Ryan leans toward blocking, as the first two are receivers and so is Gragg. Mulligan is actually a bear.

New hire Red Bryant probably makes it as DL. Quentin Groves might stick as LB.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    Gonna focus on Wide Receiver.

In a thoughtful order:

Sammy Watkins - Most talented, most invested
    Ropert Woods - Best
    Percy Harvin - Second most talented, second most invested at least for this season. Also most brittle.
    Marcus Easley - One of the two best gunners in the Conference. The other, Matthew Slater, happens to be in the same Division.
    Marquise Goodwin - Fastest guy anywhere. They apparently haven't noticed he is also skinnier than I am. Brittle, but doesn't have to be.
    Chris Hogan - A little brittle, but solid in every respect. Good hands, good speed, good kicking gamer, good route runner.
    Deonte Thompson - Appears to be solid, and coaching staff loves him. Ryan takes too many opportunities to mention his name with no prompting whatsoever for there to be anything but love there.
    Andre Davis - Looks like a professional, successful, NFL receiver every time the ball is thrown his way. Positioning, hands, confidence. He should be on a roster somewhere. I expect a long career out of him.
    Marcus Thigpen - As a kick returner he would improve half the teams in the league. In Buffalo he is at best third behind Harvin and Goodwin and probably fourth when McKelvin is thrown in there.
    Dezmin Lewis - Drafted him. 6'4". Looks better than James Hardy, but not by a lot.
    Tobais Palmer - Reminds me of Namaan Roosevelt. Can do it, but measured speed on a track, name recognition, and pedigree will stand in the way of professional opportunities.

In order of tendency to stay healthy:

Robert Woods

No data for:
    Thompson
    Davis
    Palmer
    Lewis

Watkins, Harvin, Goodwin, and Hogan have already been injured this year, and it doesn't really start for two more weeks. Due to this tendency and these guys occupying four of the top 7 spots on the depth chart, Hogan or Goodwin could be sent packing this weekend. Both would be signed by another team. Even if they aren't I expect some fluctuation in this position group throughout the year due to injury. For all that he is excellent at his primary job and a solid receiver when used that way, Easley usually misses 6-10 games with a significant leg injury. Time may run out if he gets hurt again this year.

I put Lewis ahead of Palmer based on his having been drafted and his being huge compared to the rest of them. I expect the team to try to stash one or both on the practice squad.

Do they keep 5, or 6? Given the current injuries and the too strong likelihood that Harvin and/or Goodwin will miss a month or more each, I expect 6.

Watkins
    Woods
    Harvin
    Easley
    Goodwin
    Thompson

Thompson replaces Hogan, and maaaaybe Davis replaces Goodwin. Davis they most likely try to save on practice squad. If they try, he probably goes to Detroit, Cleveland, or New England - whichever doesn't sign Hogan and Goodwin.

Is it a mistake to replace Hogan with Thompson? I think they are similar in every tangible way, except for Hogan's having an extra year and a half of experience/track record. I think the team has the same idea. Therefore, I think the team will do just that. It ain't broke, so Whaley's gonna have to **** with it.

Would it be a mistake to replace Goodwin with Davis? No-but. Nobody else anywhere who can catch a pass really has Goodwin's speed. If they continue to insist on treating him like any other receiver then it is a waste of time for both parties, because his body will not hold up to repeated exposure to Safeties. In that case, yes, replace him with Davis, who has a body better suited to the task. If they get smart and use him selectively? Then it is better to keep him.

Who gets hurt for the longest, first? My money is on Harvin. Too much history of same. Who replaces him then? That is why they should keep Goodwin.

Who gets long term injury second? I say Easley. Who replaces him? Thompson, with Davis if available filling the gap behind, otherwise Lewis.

It may smell a little like I think Harvin is expendable. I do. I think he is a long-term waste of a roster spot. I don't mind his being here for one year, but I will be shocked if he is useful for even half of it. Given the money, the team could have invested more wisely elsewhere and have made up the performance difference with existing players. Such is life with Whaley in charge of the roster. Harvin may score three amazing touchdowns. Woohoo. Over the course of a season, that turns out to be about average. As such, I would prefer an average player who is always available, especially given the other kick returning options on the roster.

BONUS: UFA rookie RB Bronson Hill is Joique Bell all over again. He is not shockingly exciting, but he can play. He will probably end up on a practice squad and if he gets a chance to be an injury replacement can have a couple good years before giving way to a younger, cheaper version of himself before he is 28.
    Last edited by ScottDCP; 09-03-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    By the way, Stephon Gilmore got hurt tackling Dri Archer in the last preseason game. I predict he will dress for 12 contests this year.

Aaron Williams hurt his leg whiffing on a tackle of DeAngelo Williams or somebody.

Who will the DBs be?

1. Corey Graham
    2. Aaron Williams
    3. Stephon Gilmore
    4. Nickell Robey
    5. Ronald Darby
    6. Leodis McKelvin

All guaranteed a spot.

McKelvin's guarantee is due to the play of Darby, who looks better than Josh Wilson in that he can catch an uncontested ****ty throw from a McCown.

The rest, in my perceived order of their likelihood of sticking:

7. Duke Williams - Solid against the run, a giant flashing target against the pass, and apparently Ryan believes in him, plus Whaley had a hand in drafting his one-dimensional heiny
    8. Ron Brooks - Hasn't gotten injured yet, is fast, is good on kicking teams, and isn't as bad as Darby at CB, plus Whaley pedigree
    9. Bacarri Rambo - Third best Safety on the roster
    10. Mario Butler - Has been the third best CB in camp, after Robey and Gilmore
    Jonathan Meeks - Because he is fast, not because he is any good, and because Whaley had a hand in drafting(!) his oft-injured self - last guy kept, if at all.
    Merril Noel - I have no idea who he is

Nobody else jumps out at me. How many DBs are normally kept? 11? 10? 9? I figure four Safeties and 5 CBs, but it could go 4-6 or 5-6.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    Defensive Line:

1. Kyle Williams
    2. Mario Williams
    3. Marcell Dareus
    4. Jerry Hughes
    5. Corbin Bryant
    6. Manny Lawson (He is listed on the team website here, but I am now shifting him over to OLB.)
    6a. Alex Carrington
    7. Andre Fluellen
    8. Red Bryant

IK Enamkpali has been real good against second-team guys. He only plays outside. Will probably try to keep him on practice squad until someone gets injured.

Stefan Charles will once again be their designated on again-off again guy here, should injuries become a factor. That means he makes the opening day roster while Dareus serves suspension.

BJ Larsen - Odd man out. No idea if he can play.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    Linebacker:

1. Manny Lawson - Will have his best year
    2. Nigel Bradham - has improved mightily since rookie suckage, still weak against pass
    3. Preston Brown - I have been vocal about my desire for him to have been hris Borland. Since that guy's retirement, oh well. He is definitely the starting MLB
    4. Tony Steward - They want him to contribute. As soon as he got his shot, he got injured.
    5. Quentin Groves - Steady veteran, maybe?
    6. AJ Tarpley - Either he is Zach Thomas or he is Brandon Spoon. Not sure yet.
    7. Randell Johnson - Good on kicking teams last year. Not sure if he will stick.

Kevin Reddick - Ryan had him with Jets last year. Doubtful.

How many are normally kep in a 3-4? 5? 6?
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    OL:

1. Cordy GLenn
    2. Richie Incognito
    3. Eric Wood
    4. John Miller
    5. Seantrel Henderson

6. Cyrus Kouandjio - still huge, still ****ty.
    7. Cyril Richardson - still huge, still wobbly
    8. Kraig Urbik - Should still be starting RG
    9. They say you need two extra OTs. Only three on the current roster. Look for a waiver pickup here.

William Campbell
    Darryl Johnson
    Alex Kupper
    I have never met these guys, but I think Kupper has a good beard.

Usually 9 or 10 OL. Who knows?
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    Done for now. ANyone have any thoughts, whatsoever? Have I said anything that looks like your team might want to snag somebody after last cuts?
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    Some updates during the Detroit game:

Two first half fumbled exchanges between Urbik and Simms. Not looking good for Kraig.

Cyril Richardson just not looking good, Kouandjio looking worse. Each has given up an easy sack.

Same for Meeks and Brooks, despite the interception return for TD by Brooks (Tipped balls in preseason do not signify much to me.)

Bryce Brown, not as good as Fred Jackson.

Dezmin Lewis looks a LOT like James Hardy with slightly better hands. Not confident, and loses three fights with DBs for every one he wins.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    AJ Tarpley (ILB) looks real good. Instinctive, though definitely not fast, always in position to make the tackle, and then succeeds. Just not fast.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    My guys Andre Davis, and Steve Tasker pointed out multiple times just about every other TE or WR who played for Buffalo tonight had the same weird disease - none of them worked to get open whenever the QB got outside the pocket or otherwise scrambled. They were all slaves to their routes. Bummer.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!