Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Football 2015

College Football 2015

Since college football begins tonight which kicks off the season and kicks off the start of football, I though it would be appropriate to have a new thread for the new season. At least until some of the regulars start posting articles about college football.

The biggest thing I find of interest at the start of the season was all the unsettled QB positions on major college programs going into this week. I think some of it has to do with setting up a smokescreen for opposing defenses so they don't know which QB to prepare for.

Such as the case in Ohio State versus Virginia Tech. I think Urban knows who is going to start on Monday, he's just not telling because he wants to make it harder to scheme against his team. I think Barrett starts, because he's an Urban Meyer type of QB. But he might shock me and start Jones. Either way, I think Ohio State squeaks by Virginia Tech.

The scary thing for an Ohio State fan right now is that everyone is lumping praise on them and expecting them to make the playoff and probably win the national championship. That's a very bad thing and why I don't think OSU repeats.

Alabama's QB situation seems to be a mess with me along with their OL. I've heard analysts say this will be a down year for Alabama, but somehow I just can't buy it. At least until I see those chinks in the armor.

2. I know FP Team Tailgating is working up their first CFB open thread submission of the year as I type this (I get email alerts whenever someone hits save when writing an article - I've gotten about 15 of those alerts in the past few hours). So our weekly college football open threads will be returning for the season.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

You can just blame that on me, not Brian, Biggie.

We'll be publishing our conference and national predictions this evening to get the conversation started and will be publishing a weekly open thread as soon as it's available, likely tomorrow or early Saturday. Obviously, everyone can feel free to treat the predictions article like an open thread until we publish the weekly TG, as that's what we'll have up for tonight's games.

And we do have some good ones to look forward to.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kocsan View Post
    You can just blame that on me, not Brian, Biggie.

We'll be publishing our conference and national predictions this evening to get the conversation started and will be publishing a weekly open thread as soon as it's available, likely tomorrow or early Saturday. Obviously, everyone can feel free to treat the predictions article like an open thread until we publish the weekly TG, as that's what we'll have up for tonight's games.

And we do have some good ones to look forward to.
    I am not 'blaming' anybody. Remember, I work with the article interface also. That means I understand the pain of losing a few hours work when the dang thing decides to crash me out. I get more email alerts for my own articles than anyone else. Hitting save whenever you think to do it is the only safe play. Either that, or you can work an article up in Word then do a copy & paste (which is a pain in the arse). You do what you gotta do.

Blog Entries
    Even as someone who is just not a college football fan, I'm looking forward to Brian and Matt's weekly column.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

6. And....here....we....GO!

FOOOOOOTBAAAAALLLLLL
    "I have approximate knowledge of many things."

7. Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Even as someone who is just not a college football fan, I'm looking forward to Brian and Matt's weekly column.
    TG is some of the very best content in the history of this site. The guys truly capture the essence, the spirit of collegiate athletics in ways the major outlets just plain old miss.

8. Tonight marks the spot on my personal calendar where I have to actually pay attention to my DVR's storage limits. Live football takes center stage and I barely try to keep up with my regular programming. 14 episodes left to finish The Wire and a couple episodes of Master Chef plus two HBO miniseries Show Me a Hero and The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst are hanging around taking up space. The Wire has become must watch. The rest? Meh. Might have to saw 'em off.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    TG is some of the very best content in the history of this site. The guys truly capture the essence, the spirit of collegiate athletics in ways the major outlets just plain old miss.

Thanks guys, the check's in the mail.

There are times that crop up when you wonder why you put so much time into things, and whether or not it's worth it. As a teacher, any comment that lets me know I'm making a small difference means everything in the world. For something like this, just knowing that people enjoy the effort that we put into this is more than enough to carry through.

Thanks!
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Thanks for the kind words about TG, guys. I can't speak for Brian, but it's probably the most ridiculous thing I do, and it's fun, but it's also nice to know that people still enjoy it.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.