Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule change 2015 - formulating an opinion

Rule change 2015 - formulating an opinion

With preseason in the books it's time to talk about the critical rule change of 2015. I am of course talking about allowing linebackers to wear numbers in the 40s. I wanted to give it some time and not rush to judgement since, as an old person, I hate change in any form. I have finally gotten to the point that I accept wide receivers wearing numbers in the teens (as long as they came into the league after the rule change. Editorial note - Reggie Wayne you look ridiculous in #15, like a 50 year old wearing a sideways hat trying to look like a teenager).

To make a fully informed decision, I charted and graded every single play by linebackers in every preseason game (<- I didn't do that). I finally had to break the 40's down into 4 separate groups:

-I have decided that I'm ok with linebackers wearing 46-49. Those are tight end numbers and linebackers are to defensive linemen as tight ends are to offensive linemen. Plus most long snappers wear those numbers and while they may just be ornamental o-linemen, they are o-lineman. I once saw a long snapper block someone.

-I will grudgingly accept linebackers wearing 44 and 45. 44 is a fullback number, even better than a tight end (in this vein, I would be fine with a special exemption for 1 or 2 linebackers to wear #32. see Curtis, Mike). 45 is an Archie Griffin number. No bias, despite being from Ohio I'm not really an OSU fan and not necessarily a huge Archie Griffin fan. He's just the only guy I can ever think of when I see #45. And let's be honest, he won 2 Heismans 40 years ago, he owns that number for at least another 10-12 years.

-41 to 43 are safety numbers. A linebacker cannot under any circumstances wear these numbers. You're telling the league that you're a runner not a hitter and that if you're in a collision of any kind you will curl up in the fetal position (and most likely shed a tear).

-40 is the number of a 38-year old relief pitcher with a 6.57 era and 3 ex-wives. If Dick Butkus himself told me that he wanted to wear #40 I would cut him on the spot (plus he's about 80 years old).

Andy, you do know the team in Baltimore is not the Colts, right?

In a somewhat related note, I'm looking forward to how ridiculous future Yankees players will look with triple digits on them when there aren't enough non-retired numbers left.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post

In a somewhat related note, I'm looking forward to how ridiculous future Yankees players will look with triple digits on them when there aren't enough non-retired numbers left.
    Nyah. Yankee players will have letters after their numbers. Like 2a

I haven't checked the standings in a while. How are the St Louis Browns doing this year?

All yankees look ridiculous always.

Well, now I'm really surprised, the Boston Braves beat the Browns in 8 this season. I guess if it isn't a Smokey Joe Wood article, you just don't care.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

As a Penn State fan, give me 11 and 31 for LBs. LaVar Arrington and NaVorro Bowman wore 11, Shane Conlon, Paul Posluszny wore 31. I am also firmly convinced that if this rule were in place starting in the mid-80s, Brian Bosworth (44) and Andy Katzenmoyer (45) would have had highly successful pro careers.

Frankly, I like the college rules where random numbers can appear anywhere.

On second thought, forget I said anything. Michigan ruins EVERYTHING!
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

7. Bro, that's Mark Harmon's dad's #98. Tom Harmon won the 1940 Heisman Trophy. That was a tribute jersey number.

But you knew that, didn't you?

{}
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

8. BTW, I recall some proclamations about never talking smack about Devin Gardner after this moment.

Young fella made us proud that day.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    Bro, that's Mark Harmon's dad's #98. Tom Harmon won the 1940 Heisman Trophy. That was a tribute jersey number.

But you knew that, didn't you?

{}
    Of course I did. It's on the patch. Just had to fire a little Michigan shot

Yes, Gardner earned some serious cred with that act last year. That was awesome. I was glad to see him end up in Steelers camp, and hopefully he finds a way to turn himself into something in the pros.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

300 pounders wearing single digits look ridiculous. Other than that I would be fine with doing away with all number restrictions. For some reason I like it when punters wear numbers in the 90s.

A few good 'wrong numbers' from days gone by. Off the top of my head with no assistance from google so they might all be wrong.
    Red Grange 77
    Sammy Baugh 33
    Steve Van Buren 15
    Night Train Lane 81
    John Hadl 21
    Jack Youngblood 85
    Alan Page 88
    Bronco Nagurski 3?? maybe??
    Don Hutson 14 (I think)
    Otto Graham wore 60 or 70 for a while before switching to 14
    Ryan Leaf 16 (why did they give him a QB number?)

Edit - I just remembered that I said I wouldn't use google, then I double check them with google. I originally though Red Grange was 99 and Night Train Lane was 88.
    Last edited by Andy Freeland; 09-04-2015 at 11:07 PM.