Thread: Buffalo beat Indianapolis

Blog Entries

Buffalo beat Indianapolis

A couple thoughts.

1. Sammy Watkins made a couple of beautiful blocks, otherwise not a lot of action. Makes sense, in hindsight. Inexperienced QB who has been around knows that traps are laid around the most talented receiver. Probably take a few weeks before opportunities arise away from TE, RB, and slot.

2. Darby has good hands for a CB. Way better than Gilmore (who could be elite if he could catch, dropping three picks today.) that said, Luck under threw his man by ten yards on that interception. The ball does weird floaty things on the visitor sideline at the Ralph.

3. Mario Butler subbed for an injured Darby, got picked on, and was outstanding.

4. Luck is outstanding under pressure, but the rush wasn't getting there consistently in the second half, and the Colts line ain't allthat good.

5. Karlos Williams reminds me of Steven Jackson. He doesn't have Fred Jackson's vision and patience. Bryce Brown didn't dress. I am still frustrated.

6. Taylor is a super smooth runner, a lot like Fred. That said, he has a quarterback's musculature and treating him like a running back five times a game will bite them in the ass at some point. Escaping is great. Intrntionally sending himouttherealone is an unnecessary risk.

7. It was good to see Nigel Bradham yell at Preston Brown for being an idiot with a super obvious late hit on Luck in the fourth quarter.

8. I fear that Ryan and Roman might have a little of the Jauronian tendency to site a second half lead and hope it stands up to the slow burn.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    A refinement of my position on Ronald Darby:

Positives: Straight line speed is outstanding, good hands for defensive back. Both shown on the interception yesterday.

Negatives: Unexceptional instincts, tight space quickness is lacking, and when he is out of position it is usually due to a lateral move. Also shown on th einterceptiin yesterday. When Darby gets beat, and you see it from an end zone, he is usually three yards left or right of the receiver, regardless of whether he has kept pace downfield. He gets that way because his particular combination of instinct and quickness can apparently be used against him.

On the interception, Hilton was the outside receiver, got by and well inside him with little more than a stutter step, and Was slowing down as the ball was coming down because Luck had under thrown him by ten yards. If he had under thrown Hilton by five yards it would have been a long completion. If Luck had hit himinstride it would have been an easy touchdown. Why di Luck understory him so badly? Two factors. First, the pass rush had him improvising some footwork, which is always to the defensive team' s advantage, and second, also visible from the end zone, the ball was knocked short and pushed to the sideline by wind at its apex. Great job by Darby of staying with it andofcatching the thing, but he was beat on the play in the same way he has been beaten all summer. Reminds me of Aaron Williams in his first two years of being miscast as a CB.

Unknown: Tackling. Not enough information to make a assessment.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!