Thread: If not (or after) Favre, who can Vikings fans pin their QB hopes on?

Post If not (or after) Favre, who can Vikings fans pin their QB hopes on?

Like most people, I believe that Brett Favre is the best QB option for the Vikings (assuming he returns). Despite some troubled feelings about Favre's age, and consequently his effectiveness (particularly in light of how last season ended), I just can't get excited about the prospect of either Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels calling the shots. I think the Vikings have a pretty solid team overall, but success in the NFL requires a quality QB. Even if Favre comes back, he's clearly at the tail end of his career. Who can/should the Vikings turn to for the long-term future? Does it come down to a potential trade or draft pick? Am I wrong to worry about Jackson and/or Rosenfels?
    Last edited by Michael; 07-05-2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: To clarify some thoughts. Hopefully.

Hi Michael,

When Favre retires, or gets hurt, the Vikings are in a lot of trouble. No one on the current roster, Jackson, Rosenfels, Webb, is a Super Bowl qb. And really, that is the only goal for the Vikings at this point right? I think Jackson could come in a win a game or two, as he has in the past, but the pressure gets to him and he is soon rolling out right and rifling the ball in some poor receivers ankles. We have seen it time and again. Rosenfels seems to have fallen out of favor with Chilly, so he will never see the field. I guess we can all hope Webb is a once in a lifetime catch, like Brady or Romo, but that is asking a lot. At this point he is just super athletic and has a good arm, which reminds me a little too much of why they reached for TJack.

So, no, you are not wrong to worry about Jackson and/or Rosenfels, neither is the answer. It is the hardest position to fill. Rookies that time to develop, so drafting next spring feels like it is too late to me. I wish they would have taken Clausen or Colt is this years draft, then at least they would have had time to sit and learn. As for trading, who is out there to pick up? Anyone? It’s not as if teams are loaded with great qb’s and looking to dump them.

Sorry to just complain, maybe I am still too bitter over that last game!

Blog Entries
    As we saw for years in Green Bay, the 16 game season and playoffs is too much for Favre. He always runs out of gas at the end, pehaps from playing in so many games in his career. He started to fade in Carolina last year. TJack's problem is decision making. Maybe the light goes on for him, maybe not. I figured Sage was the heir apparent, but I guess once they paid him all that money they discovered that he is just a career backup, and happy to hold the clipboard. Webb is a project. Rick and Chilly went all in with Favre. It works or it doesn't, but after that, it could be rough. Chilly and Bevell have shown no ability to develop a QB.

I have heard from more than one place that Tarvaris Jackson has looked great and seems to have made major improvements since 2008. I mean, a lot of people are saying this. I just can't believe it though. Especially when you know how good the team is with Favre, it cannot be inspiring to imagine having Tarvaris under center for a 16 game season. Sage Rosenfels is a serviceable backup but he is not a long-term solution. He is only a stopgap that can win you a couple games in a pinch. Trust me. We had him play in Schaub's absence many times in 07 and 08 and they were games that made you want to tear your hair out.
    Last edited by Wordsworth; 07-11-2010 at 12:49 AM.

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    We had him play in Schaub's absence many timesin 07 and 08 and they were games that made you want to tear your hair out.

Oh you mean when he played against the Colts and allowed them to come back from 3 Tds? That was the worst thing I have ever seen. Why the vikings did what they did for that guy is beyond me. I keep hearing great things about Jackson but what about Vick? Or is that too silly? I see the Vikings grabbing another old Vet when the time comes but it's time for them to start looking into a young guy. Learn from the Packers.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

First he'd make a fantastic throw for a first down, the next minute he's flying through the air as if wearing a cape.

Yeah, it was one of the worst games I've ever seen.

7. Isn't that the risk of any team with a great QB? If the Cotls lose Manning or the Saints lose Brees they don't have a pro bowler waiting in the wings. That's how the league works. The Vikes backups may not be awesome, but they both have real game experience which is more than most backups can claim.

Quote Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
    Isn't that the risk of any team with a great QB? If the Cotls lose Manning or the Saints lose Brees they don't have a pro bowler waiting in the wings. That's how the league works. The Vikes backups may not be awesome, but they both have real game experience which is more than most backups can claim.
    The risk is two fold for the Vikings, those other QB's may get hurt sure, but they will not retire in a year or two and all kidding aside, Favre will retire soon. Thus the need for a succession plan. The Packers did a great job with in drafting a QB of the future before the current QB left, I would feel a lot better if the Vikes had done the same.

I still can't believe the numbers Favre put up last year. He was obviously a bit shaky in the cold late in the year (at Carolina and at Chicago in the 1st half), and threw his typical backbreaking playoff interception. The Vikings once more have a pretty favorable schedule weather-wise, with only one likely very cold game (12/26 at Philly), and two road dome games. The best case for the Vikings is that he plays two more years. Uncertainty about Favre led to the Rosenfels acquisition, but I feel the team should have drafted a QB high and parted ways with Jackson this offseason. That way there would have been some young talent with upside learning from the bench this year.