Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illegal bat

By the way:

(3a) Unless an illegal bat by the offense results in a loss of down, which on a fourth down play would mean a turnover (plus the ball placed either at the spot of the foul or if it occurred in the end zone at the two or whatever).

(3b) I looked it up. In the NFL, it's just a ten yard penalty on offense, and it's not a loss of down at any level.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

Finally:

We can't stop here. This is bat country.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

Blog Entries
    OK. I have a question. WHY is it against the rules to bat a ball in the endzone?

If a defender had one foot out of bounds and then grabbed the ball it would be Touchback, non?
    If the defender grabbed the ball and then put one foot out of bounds it would be a Touchback, non?

If the punter has a fumbled snap, and hit the ball out of bounds to take a safety instead of a recovery by the defense (assuming it is easier to bat the ball than grab it) then the D would not take the penalty, non?

In fact why should there be a penalty on a batted ball? I don't understand what unfair outcome it is trying to squash

4. Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    OK. I have a question. WHY is it against the rules to bat a ball in the endzone?

If a defender had one foot out of bounds and then grabbed the ball it would be Touchback, non?
    If the defender grabbed the ball and then put one foot out of bounds it would be a Touchback, non?

If the punter has a fumbled snap, and hit the ball out of bounds to take a safety instead of a recovery by the defense (assuming it is easier to bat the ball than grab it) then the D would not take the penalty, non?

In fact why should there be a penalty on a batted ball? I don't understand what unfair outcome it is trying to squash
    They don't want guys to be able to use their hands like hockey sticks and intentionally advance the ball without first possessing it.

Score. More. Points.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    So...

Why wouldn't they penalize FORWARD batting. Or just declare a recovered ball down where first touched if recovered, or.....

If a fumble rolls into the endzone and defense jumps on it and rolls out of bounds, is that a safety or what is it? There is some idiot rule like that isn't there?

Blog Entries
    A forward fumble through the endzone is something stupid. Change of possession and touchback?

Blog Entries
    oops. That's exactly what happened isn't it? Time to go to bed...