Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Random Thoughts From Week 5

Article: Random Thoughts From Week 5

"I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Blog Entries
    Your reason for picking the Lions is the same as the Bears. So we will know who is who next week.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I'm not saying the Lions will beat the Bears, I'm just saying that their offense will start to perform better. Defensively, the Bears are significantly improved, but they're certainly not the Cards, Seahawks, or Broncos.

It's hard to argue with the numbers McCown has put up. This, you know, isn't going to last, but it's fairly impressive in its own weird way.

One thing: McCown does not handle the all-out blitz very well. Obviously, the all-out blitz is not a gameplan, but the Browns have trouble running the ball and have tended to get into 3rd & Obvious-Passing-Distances this season. McCown, a few times under heavy pressure, tried to step up into a non-existent pocket with predictable results. We have small-ish receivers, so I'd look for teams to start manning up and sending six or seven on 3rd & Long against us. This could be particularly rough against Denver this week.

In related news, the Browns and the Broncos are going to play a stupid, stupid game on Sunday. I'm trying to decide if I think the Browns could win and I'm not sure it's that crazy. The real problem is Cleveland's run defense; Denver has performed horribly on the ground all season--so maybe it wasn't all Montee Ball's fault?--but that might change Sunday.

It worked, but calling for Le'Veon Bell out of the wildcat in that situation tonight was stupid, Pittsburgh. That play was stopped, but he just managed to slip out of the pile up and reach across the goal line.

I thought the Cowboys would be fine if they could get two wins without Romo, but it's becoming apparent that they really needed to steal that game in New Orleans and they may be kind of screwed. Brandon Weeden is still awful, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you throw the ball 39 times for 186 yards, I don't care what's happening around you, you're bad at this.

Blog Entries
    So Weeden is the new Captain checkdown?
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    I'm not saying the Lions will beat the Bears, I'm just saying that their offense will start to perform better. Defensively, the Bears are significantly improved, but they're certainly not the Cards, Seahawks, or Broncos.
    I get what you are saying. Just that the Chiefs got the "look at their schedule" argument in their favor last week. The Lions are getting it this week. Most of the damage done to the Bears was done during "the Clausening".
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post

I get what you are saying. Just that the Chiefs got the "look at their schedule" argument in their favor last week. The Lions are getting it this week. Most of the damage done to the Bears was done during "the Clausening".
    Fantasy wise, the value of all Lions couldn't be lower. Stafford may be released, or at the very least wouldn't cost much at all (maybe a bye replacement defense like the Eagles would land him). Tate could be had for a song, Abdullah has upside, and even Calvin could be available at a reasonable price. Maybe it doesn't pan out, but right now is their buy lowest point, which makes each worth a shot for the right team. That's mainly what I was trying to say.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    I'm not saying the Lions will beat the Bears, I'm just saying that their offense has to perform better. Defensively, the Bears are significantly improved, but they're certainly not the Cards, Seahawks, or Broncos.
    Fixed.

You know, because the Lions offense certainly cannot perform any worse. That game Sunday was a complete embarrassment.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    re: The Steelers last night.

I agree with what they did. I like the Tomlin decision to go for the win. He was willing to take the lumps if the play failed, and a field goal there does not guarantee a win.

Also, that tells his whole team he believes in them, that he will coach to win, and that can pay dividends given how well Cincy is playing. Even if they had failed, the decision to go for it shows the team that he has thier backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    Fixed.

You know, because the Lions offense certainly cannot perform any worse. That game Sunday was a complete embarrassment.
    Never say this. It can always get worse. We fans of Historically Bad Teams know this, right???