Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megatron TD Catch?

1. Megatron TD Catch?

How can that rule possibly be correct? Johnson landed with both feet on the ground then his body landed on the ground while having complete control the entire time only to let go of the ball at the end to celebrate. That has to be the worst rule of all time there is 0 doubt he caught that ball, now the Lions dream of perfection is ruined by the NFL's fear of a ref making a judgement call.

As a Raider fan this rule was familiar to me - the same rule was used to overturn the Louis Murphy TD from the opener last year against SD.

Anyway - this is an absolutely terrible rule. Possession of the ball and two feet in the EZ should be TD. In this case he had 2 feet, butt, hand and obvious control.

BS call and the NFL will attempt to defend it as it always does no matter how illogical their stance is.

Refs need to be able to use common sense for these interpretations. Calls like this undermine the integrity of the game.

it was beyond clear that he didn't drop the ball, he placed it on the ground.

And lol at Cutler acting like a D-bag in the press conference "well they knew the rules, sucks for them"

CC just said the refs got it right. Cris, I honestly don't know how you can say that with a straight face. Bad rule employed foolishly. He caught & controlled the ball and both his feet were in bounds in the end zone. I think that is called a touchdown, yes? What happens after that is moot.

We have a league that will give a team a TD if the tip of the football appears to 'break the plane of the end zone' yet Megatron's grab was an incomplete pass? That is the biggest load of horsepuckey ever. ****ing zebras robbed my team of their first road win since 2007.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

When a ball crosses the line of scrimage, it's a TD. Supposedly. 2 feet in bounds? It's a completion. Ground can't cause a fumble? Fine. Let it work both ways. There's some serious rules ambiguities or straight out inconsistancies that need to be cleaned up. I feel bad for Lions fans.
    My hypocrisy goes only so far.

TheBigLead.com has a pretty good right up one of the Pro-Football-Reference guys.. I def suggest reading it
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin View Post
    When a ball crosses the line of scrimage, it's a TD. Supposedly. 2 feet in bounds? It's a completion. Ground can't cause a fumble? Fine. Let it work both ways. There's some serious rules ambiguities or straight out inconsistancies that need to be cleaned up. I feel bad for Lions fans.
    No rule ambiguity here, typical misconception on what consititutes a completed pass is what causes these issues. You must maintain posesssion thorughout the act of going to the ground, or complete a football move.

IF anything, you could argue that the moving of the ball from 2 hands to one hand should have been considered a football move, which i think could have been ruled. However the rules as written are fine.

8. How can you see the rules as written are fine? He caught the ball, he did everything anyone who can see and has half a brain can say without doubt is a catch, but because of the way the rule is written it is somehow not a catch. That is not fine. It is absolutely absurd that he didn't get credit for a catch when I don't think there's a person alive that would have complained had it been ruled a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
    How can you see the rules as written are fine? He caught the ball, he did everything anyone who can see and has half a brain can say without doubt is a catch, but because of the way the rule is written it is somehow not a catch. That is not fine. It is absolutely absurd that he didn't get credit for a catch when I don't think there's a person alive that would have complained had it been ruled a catch.
    Becasue the rules are written to make the definition of possession the key component. If you fail to "possess" the ball, it is a incomplete pass. Running backs, quarterbacks, recievers running the ball after possession has already been established do not have any of those issues, as possession has been established from the snap to the qb, and down the line, you have to rule on possession for the forward pass (basically, once the clear chain of posession from legal snap cannot be established, muffs and fumbles being other times)

AS i stated, if it had been ruled a TD, and the movement from 2 hands to one hand as the "football move", i would be fine with that interpretation. The rule is fine. The interpretation of the rule is what we should be arguing about, not the rule.
    Last edited by Ragar; 09-12-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: some really bad typos

Blog Entries
    I usually never play the optimist here, but at LEAST it happened in the first game. At LEAST it wasn't week 15. At LEAST they took some blows from a Martz offense and had the chance to win in the end. At LEAST they did it with a backup QB. Finally, at LEAST Schwartz didn't make excuses and handled it like a pro. He has planted some fire in Detroit and I would rather not have to play them late in the year. Be angry, but be happy.

Also, yeah, I would be mad at Megatron for celebrating a bit too soon. He should know the rule change by now. It was a completion but he blew it.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain