Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Megatron TD Catch?

Producer with Showtime Sports, including Inside the NFL. Creator of NFLReaction.com.
    site: www.nflreaction.com
    twitter: @nflreaction @alexshosports

I hope for a day when what feels like a touchdown and looks like a touchdown actually is a touchdown. I think Johnson's catch should be considered a touchdown and the rules should demonstrate this. However the refs did get the call right because of how the rules are written. They did their job by the book which is what we expect them to do on both sides. The rule makers are to blame for this.

Quote Originally Posted by FessJL0861 View Post
    I usually never play the optimist here, but at LEAST it happened in the first game. At LEAST it wasn't week 15. At LEAST they took some blows from a Martz offense and had the chance to win in the end. At LEAST they did it with a backup QB. Finally, at LEAST Schwartz didn't make excuses and handled it like a pro. He has planted some fire in Detroit and I would rather not have to play them late in the year. Be angry, but be happy.

Also, yeah, I would be mad at Megatron for celebrating a bit too soon. He should know the rule change by now. It was a completion but he blew it.
    Yea I loved how Schwartz handled it even though he clearly knew that the call was BS he sent a great message to his players
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

4. I completely understand that is how the rule is written but sometimes there needs to be some judgement put into a call. If 10 out of 10 people think something is a catch how can it not be? Yes the rule is technically that way and the refs called it as is written but that is the same as a cop giving you a ticket for going 31 in a 30. According to the law you should be cited but a cop can use his judgement to determine how to enforce the law. How can a ref not be given the same leeway?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chompurself View Post
    Yea I loved how Schwartz handled it even though he clearly knew that the call was BS he sent a great message to his players
    That guy is going to be a really good coach in this league. Just my opinion, but he is a motivator, and by all accounts I've read, the players love him.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

6. Wow Gruden had the same point as me about the cop on MNF. I guess that isn't a very original idea at all. Here I was thinking I was making a creative and poignant point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
    Wow Gruden had the same point as me about the cop on MNF. I guess that isn't a very original idea at all. Here I was thinking I was making a creative and poignant point.
    Maybe Gruden thought YOU had a creative and poignant point. Eh? I vote Gruden stole it from you.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

They should change the rule because when an NFL player makes a play that is what should effect the outcome of the game not the refs coming in and finding a way to make some obscure call and take it away on a lame technicality if he would've just celebrated on his but instead of getting up to do it he would have been fine. On a side note I also believe that Schwartz handled it perfectly.
    "Last year, we gained respect. This year, we want fear." - Ndamukong Suh.