Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well....

Well....

The game actually played out as I anticipated - coming from behind and coming up short. What I didn't anticipate was losing our starting center and fullback for the season, as well as Bradley and Kolb being sidelined with concussions.

Vick looked poised under center, but is he now the starter pending Kolbs health? What does this mean for the already depleted offensive line?
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Blog Entries
    Hate to see injuries like that. DE Justin Harrell's career is probably over, at least in Green Bay. Sure expected more on offense from both teams. Wonder how much of that was field conditions? One thing for sure, the Eagles are tough up front on D with Cole and Parker et al. Their defensive front mauled the Packers, but they missed Bradley big time in the second half. Hope he's back soon. Looking on the bright side, looks like the NFC East is wide open so far.

I thought the defense looked respectable, especially the pass rush, despite the 27 points allowed. Clay Matthews was an absolute monster, and I saw Clifton more than once stuffing the lanes calling for a double team. Jason Peters looked predictably awful, and having three penalties on our first possession was a foreshadowing of the sloppiness that was to come. Our special teams was an absolute trainwreck in the second half as well.

The Lions just demonstrated they're nobodies punching bag, so Philly doesn't have much room to slip, though as you pointed out the division is wide open and we haven't played NFC East teams yet.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Blog Entries
    Penalties killed you guys, for sure.

As far as Vick being the starter, I mean he definitely looked good and Kolb didnt look comfortable at all while he was in......If Kolb is 95% healthy then Vick starts, if he is 100% then I think Eagles have to give him another shot if he is suppose to be their QB of the future
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

There's no question that Kolb must remain the starting QB if he's fully healthy. As electric as Mike Vick looked out there, he just isn't the type of QB that can run this team's offense at full throttle. Kolb was shakey, but the dude was 5-7 (granted for short yardage) before his concussion, and he was under heavy pressure from the start.

We know Andy Reid. Kolb is going to be given every chance to succeed with this team. If it's week 5 and he's had 3 really bad starts, maybe we can start talking about Vick, but we're not there yet.

I'm proud of this young team for clawing their way back and making a game out of it, and I'm really happy with how poised Vick was coming in the 2nd half. They came up short, but were certainly in a position to win against a preseason Super Bowl favorite.

Now, with that said, could this game have gone any worse from an injury perspective? Jackson and Weaver out for the year, Bradley and Kolb likely out for a few weeks, with a potential to be limited for the whole season (think about Westbrook last year).

Quote Originally Posted by brianr View Post
    There's no question that Kolb must remain the starting QB if he's fully healthy. As electric as Mike Vick looked out there, he just isn't the type of QB that can run this team's offense at full throttle. Kolb was shakey, but the dude was 5-7 (granted for short yardage) before his concussion, and he was under heavy pressure from the start.

We know Andy Reid. Kolb is going to be given every chance to succeed with this team. If it's week 5 and he's had 3 really bad starts, maybe we can start talking about Vick, but we're not there yet.

I'm proud of this young team for clawing their way back and making a game out of it, and I'm really happy with how poised Vick was coming in the 2nd half. They came up short, but were certainly in a position to win against a preseason Super Bowl favorite.

Now, with that said, could this game have gone any worse from an injury perspective? Jackson and Weaver out for the year, Bradley and Kolb likely out for a few weeks, with a potential to be limited for the whole season (think about Westbrook last year).
    Yea I was pretty impressed in the way they stayed in there against a really good Green Bay team, the injuries definiktely will hurt u guys, I couldnt believe how many significant injuries happen in this single game
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

8. There is no way that Vick becomes the starter. We know what Andy wants and he wants Kolb starting. I'm sure Vick will be the starter against the lions and we'll have to wait and see how Kolb is doing for jacksonville. The Packers are a tough team and I wish that Kolb was able to get more playing time but injuries happen. I already had this as an Eagles loss for the season and was hoping the Kolb would become more comfortable against "Easier" teams detroit and jacksonville. I'm glad that Vick is on the team and that he attempted to pull us through in the game but I'm already dreading the philly fan "discussion" about putting vick in over kolb when kolb is perfectly healthy. He needs the experience and we might not make the playoffs this year but I'm looking to be dominating next year. Philly is a "what have you done for me lately" kinda town and I just hope that fans can see a bigger picture.

It really comes down to realistic expectations for the season. Mike Vick gives the Eagles a better chance of winning games right now than Kevin Kolb does. But I don't think the Eagles are a Super Bowl contender with either of them right now, so Kolb has to be the starter and get the same development reps and take the same lumps that Aaron Rodgers took when the Packers went 6-10 in 2008.

Vick is just a stopgap solution for the Eagles - Kolb is the future.

Andy Reid has the luxury of job security and will sink or swim with Kolb, but I do think starter or not we will still see a lot of Mike Vick this season.

It really comes down to realistic expectations for the season. Mike Vick gives the Eagles a better chance of winning games right now than Kevin Kolb does. But I don't think the Eagles are a Super Bowl contender with either of them right now, so Kolb has to be the starter and get the same development reps and take the same lumps that Aaron Rodgers took when the Packers went 6-10 in 2008.
    I agree with this. Vick ought to start next week, since Kolb will have a short practice week (and it's the Lions, so presumably you can afford it), but after that Reid ought to let this be Kolb's team.

The thing I'd find scary if I were an Eagles fan isn't what happened after Kolb's injury, but before. Why was Reid rotating Vick in so much? It kept both of the QBs from getting into rhythm. If Kolb's the guy, he should be getting almost all the snaps.