Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That there face mask penalty...

Blog Entries

That there face mask penalty...

Couple things,havingseenthereplay. First, Taylor came away fromRodgerslooking like Henkel he haddonesomething like that.nothing celebratory,everything frustrated, and hat was before he wouldhaveseentheflag. The slow motion replay of the thumb sliding between the bars of the face ask looks iffy, if believable. The positionofRodgers' helmet when he is sitting on the ground, however, is different than immediately after the things,bing. I thinkTaylor gotaholdofitlaterinthetackle, fomanangle NFL Network isnt showing. It explains the helmet being uponRodgers' head after the initial take didn't make that pen,nditelains Taylor's body language.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

2. Can the NFL even have a primetime game without a controversial call to close it out?

As a fan vested in his team, I'll bow out of the 'facemask/no-facemask' discussion. If you are up 20-0 at home, you have to seal that deal. The Lions did not. Shame on them.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Dean Blandino says that the officials make that call "every time". Then the officials would be wrong "every time". Since when has the "every time" excuse been acceptable in explaining something that was incorrectly called?

Oh, and no, they don't call it "every time". There have most certainly been a few plays this year where a player tackles another by the shoulder pads, looking live like a facemask from our point of view, only to have replays show the refs got the call right. You can't micro-manage every rule making it impossible for officials to get certain calls correct, then excuse the most blatantly obvious and simple-to-explain rule in the book. Your officials need to be in the proper position.

I get that calls are missed, but these officials are directly impacting the outcome of games every week. "Every time" is a lame explanation, and another of the many reasons Blandino should not have this job.

And Biggie, if this were the Steelers, I'd have the same answer as you.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    Dean Blandino says that the officials make that call "every time". Then the officials would be wrong "every time". Since when has the "every time" excuse been acceptable in explaining something that was incorrectly called?

Oh, and no, they don't call it "every time". There have most certainly been a few plays this year where a player tackles another by the shoulder pads, looking live like a facemask from our point of view, only to have replays show the refs got the call right. You can't micro-manage every rule making it impossible for officials to get certain calls correct, then excuse the most blatantly obvious and simple-to-explain rule in the book. Your officials need to be in the proper position.

I get that calls are missed, but these officials are directly impacting the outcome of games every week. "Every time" is a lame explanation, and another of the many reasons Blandino should not have this job.

And Biggie, if this were the Steelers, I'd have the same answer as you.
    1. Up 20-0 at home? Sack up and win.
    2. Never touch a quarterback above his shoulder pads. Ever.
    3. If your opponent is throwing a Hail Mary, your ****ing guys should not be the ****ing guys standing in the back half of the end zone.

I hope Mrs. Ford is spitting fire right now. She should be.

Go Lions.

upon replay, I don't think it should have been called. Live, in the heat of the moment I can see why a ref would have called it. His head does move and he gets up with his helmet looking funky.

I wouldn't call that a facemask, but I can see how someone without the benefit of replay would have thought it was.

6. Oh, and don't ever tempt fate against a guy like Aaron Rodgers. He'll kill you every time.

Playing not to lose in the NFL is retarded.

#FireJimCaldwell

7. Another thing:

It would be acceptable to have your All-World, 6'5", sky-kissing, 12" handed wideout on the Anti-Hail Mary team. Why was Megatron on the sideline, CaldwellBot?

WHY?

8. #FireDeanBlandino

#HireWatson

Seriously. The NFL needs to welcome itself to the 21st century. Embrace the technology. Get the calls right in something close to real time.

As a Packers fan, I feel for Biggie.

Regarding the facemask, it's the question of: If it looks like a duck, ...oops, it was a platypus". Blandino explanation is exactly what happens at full speed to refs: you see indications of a foul, head turn, hand near helmet, then the assumption is automatic "it's a foul", when in reality it was questionable at best, or teh most strict interpretation of the rule, that is never called that way (this type of play is exactly why the facemask at the end of the AZ-GB playoff game wasn't called, as Rodgers facemask was pulled straight down with no head side to side movement, so the ref "behind" Rodgers didn't see the "indications" of a foul)

As Scott pointed out, Taylor didn't help his case because he didn't vehemently protest that his tackle was on the shoulder. Let's be honest, refs keep overturning calls/picking-up flags after "discussion" (for conspiracy people, when NY calls in on unreviewable plays and overturns them) so Taylor not being "outraged" gave no reason for the refs to even consider that they got the call wrong, or allow another ref to come in and say, no not a foul.

Regarding the Hail Mary, Caldwell egad. The explanation of why the defense aligned the way they did...ugh. Also, if you are the players, how do you not instinctively understand how to align your defense for a throw into the endzone in that type of situation? And how do you not, after the play starts unfolding and you realize it's not a lateral play, get back into position towards the goal line instead of standing 20 yards down the field guarding the sidelines as every single receiver was behind you? When they were kids did they not figure this out playing street/playground ball?
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

I counted 3 or 4 Packers with box out positions on the Hail Mary. Since only about 10% of HMs ever get completed and since most of those are less than 50 yards, I feel the game should have been easily won with proper defensive positioning. That last play was the epitome of bad coaching pair with bad execution from a bad team.

Still, I feel that 15 yard personal fouls should be reviewed. Every one. We seem to be replaying more and more (which, as we replay more and more, I want it less and less), so if "we" are going to go down that route, personal fouls are way too important to not be replayed. Even cut it off at the two minute mark. I know that my statements seem paradoxical here, but I feel this:

1) If we are using replay for so much now, it seems stupid to not review personal foul calls.

2) The more we use replay, the less I am wanting it, but I'm a team guy, so see point #1.

I also don't give two rips about how the miss rate on calls this year (4.5%) is the same as before. That doesn't mean that things shouldn't be changed. In fact, businesses that just look at numbers and assume everything is fine end up in the ditch. What is also true is that we ARE seeing more games decided by missed calls. What about the offsides on the great Ravens "Kick-Six?" Obviously, there's plenty more people can list here. It may be true that the timing of the bad calls may just be off for this one season, but what if it isn't?

The NFL is rich and needs to stop be cheap on obvious things that won't cost that much. Teams need to pay the cheerleaders, who are obviously employees (I had to get that one in-- and no, that's not really a "league" problem). The league needs to make it worth it to the officials to be full-time. They need to do it for no other than reason than because the current digital world opens up the scrutiny to minuscule detail, creating bad PR. They need to look like they are trying more than it looks like they are now.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports