Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That there face mask penalty...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kocsan View Post

Man, I don't know. Some of the replay delays in college football are just frustrating as hell. Things that don't need to be reviewed take like five minutes, and I have no idea how half of the replay decisions are made anymore.
    Hey, as you know, I'm a charter member of the get rid of replay club. But we both know that's not happening, and at least college gets it more right. Some delays are frustrating for sure, but whatever the NFL does is worse.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Blog Entries
    What struck me about the call - I only watched the last 7:30 of the 4th, and only because it was close - is that every replay that the NFL Network/CBS crew showed of the play was from the same angle, and you can see the Umpire in it.

And I never saw the umpire throw his flag,.

Now, maybe I missed him doing so, but, if he did not, that means that the person who did throw it did not have a clear view of the play. So, it's up the umpire in that case to say "There as no facemask, he grabbed the shoulder of the jersey."

To be fair, at full speed, from some angles, it does look like a facemask. Even if it is, don't you have to be sure? Especially since this is what, 5 or 6 weeks in a row that the MNF or SNF games - the ones you have the most people watching - have ended on bad or close to bad calls?

I really think it's time to move on from Blandino. He's getting very close to Periera esque 'the refs never make a mistake'
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

For those who haven't watched the play enough times, both the Referee and Head Linesman(I think, Head Linesman are supposed to be on the Visitor's side) throw flags on the play, not just the Referee...for what it's worth that two of the officials thought it was a flag.

So for those who think it was the worst call you ever seen, add 2 officials to that tally.

(edit:

Ok this is confusing as I can't see who the other person is on the top of the screen that should be the Head Linesman (Packers side), but the Side Judge comes running in from the bottom of the screen after the play is over from the Lions side, and the Side Judge is also supposed to be on the Visitor's side...so did officials switch alignment at some point or does the referee Hussey switch the assignments on the field from Home->Visitor? )
    Last edited by Ragar; 12-05-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    What struck me about the call - I only watched the last 7:30 of the 4th, and only because it was close - is that every replay that the NFL Network/CBS crew showed of the play was from the same angle, and you can see the Umpire in it.

And I never saw the umpire throw his flag,.

Now, maybe I missed him doing so, but, if he did not, that means that the person who did throw it did not have a clear view of the play. So, it's up the umpire in that case to say "There as no facemask, he grabbed the shoulder of the jersey."

To be fair, at full speed, from some angles, it does look like a facemask. Even if it is, don't you have to be sure? Especially since this is what, 5 or 6 weeks in a row that the MNF or SNF games - the ones you have the most people watching - have ended on bad or close to bad calls?

I really think it's time to move on from Blandino. He's getting very close to Periera esque 'the refs never make a mistake'
    I don't know how clear of a view Cheffers had on the faux facemask, but what struck me about the play was how quickly he made the announcement at the end of the play. Even if another official had a better view (and this is what gets me- with 7 officials on the field, and the play involving the most-watched point-of-emphasis player on the field, it's their job to have at least one person in perfect position), that official didn't have the opportunity to step in and correct, or at least discuss, the mistake.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll