Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Water Cooler: Week 15

Article: The Water Cooler: Week 15

"I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Blog Entries
    I agree with everything Brian said about OBJ. I do think he should be fined and given a one game suspension for the launch at Norman. That said, I've watched a lot of the Panthers this year (they're my go to when the Pats are in a different time slot), and Norman does the sort of thing he was doing to OBJ every week. He also needs a fine, at least, to send a 'you can be physical without being a ****' message.

Denver's defense vanished in the second half. With a possibly injured QB, a 7th round backup, and a 17 point lead, you'd think the defense would have stepped up. Instead, they let the Steelers walk all over them. Where was the help with Brown? I don't mind seeing Denver embarassed, at all, but last night just reinforced to me my skepiticism about this years Bronco team.

Antonio Brown is amazing. Enough said.

For all of Simms normal 'did he really say that', Dan Fouts was worse. I counted 9 factual errors in his comments. I feel bad for Ian Eagle. Ian is a very good (arguably the best) play by play guy CBS has - he almost always actually calls the play, unlike a lot of play by play guys - but Fouts just drags that team down.

Thank you Steelers for the present of a first round bye for the Pats!

Thank you Texans for winning in Indy for the first time. Win out! We all want Cincy vs Houston in the playoffs!

Blog Entries
    Addendum to my comments:

What was up with Denver's playcalling in the last 2:00. For those not watching, Steelers are up 7 and for some reason they decide to throw. Denver gets a pick, giving themselves the ball at the Steeeler 41 with 2:01 left.

What Denver did was throw 4 passes, all intended to go 20 yards or more. In other words, they tried for a homerun. Why do that? You have plenty of time to go 41 yards. Take the 7 and 8 yard plays, eat some time, and if you score, give them the ball back with as little time as possible. I don't understand the 4 deep passes in a row at that point.

Blog Entries
    One thing I never expected from Rex Ryan and his cronies: a steady diet of soft zones against third and long, which against good offenses is a free pass. Buffalo has gotten ****ty fast.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    OK, A couple things that happened in the Buffalo game yesterday that screamed for the world to hear that Greg Roman wants a new job:

1. Wildcat formation, Tyrod Taylor (THE STARTING QB!!!) lined up wide right. Put punt returner in motion, form left to right, inside hand off to him. What do you end up with? REQUIRING YOUR STARTING QB TO BE A LEAD BLOCKER ON THE OUTSIDE. I am fine with running a sweep, reverse, or whatever to your punt returner. Especially when the Kicking Team Coordinator can't put together a return and you think he might do well to have a chance one day to run forward with the ball in his hand, but when you rely on YOUR STARTING QB TO BE A LEAD BLOCKER, then you are doing it wrong.
    2. 3rd and 3 from the Washington 11 or so, down 21, put Taylor out wide right again, and have EJ Manuel run an option draw horse**** nothing guaranteed loss of a yard? Idiot. No better than Nate Hackett there.
    3. Four tries from the 1. I am fine with 4 runs. I am not fine with tight formations EVERY TIME. Inside runs EVERY TIME, no motion EVER. Dick Jauron's trench warfare should have gone out of style in 1914.

Fire 'em all. Make sure you kick out Doug Whaley first, but get rid of all of them. Hire a ****ing high school coach. Can't be much worse. Is Rich Kotite available?

I really had dreamed of consistent competence form the offensive and defensive coordinators. Take away some Tyrod Taylor miracles, and this team is at best 5-7.

The offense is better than it has been since Chan Gailey was here, but it is nothing to do with Greg Roman. The defense is as bad as when Chan Gailey was here and it has everything to do with Ryan/Thurman.

This team, with largely similar players, had a very good defense running this scheme under Mike Pettine. It had a very good defense running a different scheme under Jim ****ing Schwartz. Biggest change? Coaches. If the coaches cannot adapt to their players, the coaches need to go first. In addition to the salary cap penalizing roster purges, players are harder to find and keep healthy. This team is underprepared every week, cannot make solid in-game adjustments, and is calling games like it's 1999.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

I haven't seen the game yet, so I don't know exactly what went on between Beckham and Norman during the course of the game, but if you can fine a corner for being mouthy and in-your-face physical, then most defensive backfields would be empty, right? Beckham is an immature kid who cost his team dearly because he hasn't learned to cope with guys like Norman. To quote the great Steve Smith, "ice up,son!"
    I'm glad Norman wasn't injured and hope Beckham learns something from this. He's a great talent.

Amy, I do not share your appreciation for Houston's victory. I was at the game yesterday, Colts Santa hat, beads and all, and the Colts' offensive performance was nothing short of total humiliation. Pagano and his staff should be fired for first allow wing Hasselbeck to start, THEN allowing--no, encouraging--him to return after a terrible hit that injured his jaw. I am appalled at the behavior of the Colts' coaches and management this season. I was on Pagano's side for a long time, but it may be time to clean house.

Big blow for the Cardinals as they've lost Tyrann Mathieu for the remainder of the season due to a torn ACL. Patrick Peterson has been great this year, but Mathieu's versatility makes him the most important player on that defense.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...-acl/77700254/

It's one thing for Josh Norman to talk, do a few things to get under a WRs skin, and having that WR respond similarly. It's another thing entirely for Beckham to pull what he did yesterday. The blatant helmet to the back of Norman's helmet was so much worse than simply talking, extending the chippy play beyond the whistle, or even throwing down, and the latter is supposed to be enough to warrant ejection.

LeSean McCoy has a torn MCL. The Bills are calling him week-to-week, but that's just stupid. He's done for the year, and if he's not, the entire staff should be fired on the spot.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/1...-has-torn-mcl/

Blog Entries
    Norman was handling OBJ until the helmet to helmet, at whcih point he went ballistic and they had to move him off OBJ for a couple of plays. The the moving OBJ to the slot happened, but that was more a missed assignment. I don't agree with not paying a DB because he can't go in the slot. Richard Sherman shuts down half the field. Norman follows the outside receiver on both sides and shuts him down. I think we've been ruined by Revis, believing a DB has to follow his man everywhere and shut him down. The other team is alos paid big buckan and can put a big play once in a while.

Remember when Mike Wallace versus Antonio Brown was a thing?