Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dirty hits

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    The difference between the two is that Bernard was an established runner while Brown didn't even make the catch and was still in a defenseless posture. Making an open field tackle is a lot harder than breaking up a pass. How many times do you see tacklers go low on a ball carrier only to be leaped over. How many times do you see tacklers go high on a ball carrier only to get trucked over. Shazier did what I was taught in HS - go THROUGH the ball carrier.
    And I'll give Burfict credit for doing what he's paid to do--play until the damned whistle blows and the play is over. That's all the credit I'll give him, though. I'm still sick of him and Jones costing the Bengals games with dumbass penalities. I feel like what Jones did was worse, because all he had to do was walk away. He's old and experienced enough to know better. God....I still have a playoff and Superbowl hangover. Not even Project Runway All-Stars is helping....

For the record, I don't think the Burfict or the Shazier hits were dirty. I just find it unbelievable that people find the Shazier hit dirty.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

For the record, I don't think the Burfict or the Shazier hits were dirty. I just find it unbelievable that people find the Shazier hit dirty.

I won't say it was intentional or dirty, but I'm still aghast that it didn't receive a flag or fine. It was one of the most vicious hits I've seen in recent memory (even if it wasn't intentional) and incredibly poor tackling form that the NFL is trying to eliminate. Lowering your head and leading with the crown of your helmet, high no less, is the exact type of plays the NFL is trying to get rid of, to the point where they have an entire youth program dedicated to teaching young players not to lower their heads when making a tackle. It's incredibly poor form for the league to teach children one thing, and then not penalize a hit such as Shazier's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I won't say it was intentional or dirty, but I'm still aghast that it didn't receive a flag or fine. It was one of the most vicious hits I've seen in recent memory (even if it wasn't intentional) and incredibly poor tackling form that the NFL is trying to eliminate. Lowering your head and leading with the crown of your helmet, high no less, is the exact type of plays the NFL is trying to get rid of, to the point where they have an entire youth program dedicated to teaching young players not to lower their heads when making a tackle. It's incredibly poor form for the league to teach children one thing, and then not penalize a hit such as Shazier's.
    A hard hit isn't necessarily against the rules. That's why no flag was thrown and there was no fine. It's a hard, but sloppy, hit. Bernard was a runner in the open field. He's fair game at that point.

A hard hit isn't necessarily against the rules. That's why no flag was thrown and there was no fine. It's a hard, but sloppy, hit. Bernard was a runner in the open field. He's fair game at that point.

I'm sorry, it wasn't simply a "hard hit". Its the exact type of hit they claim they are trying to get rid of. A defender lowering his head and leading withthe crown of his helmet.

I'm sorry, it wasn't simply a "hard hit". Its the exact type of hit they claim they are trying to get rid of. A defender lowering his head and leading withthe crown of his helmet.
    You're forgetting the defenseless position part. You can contact a ball carrier with the crown of your helmet. That's not illegal. The ball carrier has the ability to adjust and avoid the hit.

You're forgetting the defenseless position part. You can contact a ball carrier with the crown of your helmet. That's not illegal. The ball carrier has the ability to adjust and avoid the hit.

its legal....in the box.

And if you watch the clip above, Bernard had absolutely no time to react. He caught the ball, turned and was hit immediately.

its legal....in the box.

And if you watch the clip above, Bernard had absolutely no time to react. He caught the ball, turned and was hit immediately.
    The contact was incidental. You have to lower your body to make a tackle.

The contact was incidental. You have to lower your body to make a tackle.
    Incidental helmet to helmet hits are flagged all the time