Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirty hits

Dirty hits

Let's hear it Bengals fans--now that your team shot itself in the foot, was Burfict's hit really dirty?
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Illegal? Yes. Dirty? I don't think so. It's easy to say yes based on reputation but you have to look at the play in a vacuum. Brown was lunging forward and also falling.

If the pass from Ben is accurate, burfict hits him in the numbers with a shoulder. Instead, he gets him in the head. Definitely flag worthy as it was a hit to the head and Brown was defenseless, but I struggle to say it was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Illegal? Yes. Dirty? I don't think so. It's easy to say yes based on reputation but you have to look at the play in a vacuum. Brown was lunging forward and also falling.

If the pass from Ben is accurate, burfict hits him in the numbers with a shoulder. Instead, he gets him in the head. Definitely flag worthy as it was a hit to the head and Brown was defenseless, but I struggle to say it was intentional.
    This post is what I was trying to get Bengals fans to see about James Harrison all those years ago. Illegal =/= dirty necessarily.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    This post is what I was trying to get Bengals fans to see about James Harrison all those years ago. Illegal =/= dirty necessarily.

Harrison has a much longer history though.

I certainly think Burfict straddles the line too much, at least for my liking, but he doesnt do much as far as helmet hits. Last night was unfortunate, but helmet to helmet hits by Burfict are not that common.

He certainly has some dirty plays in his history (and fwiw a lot of dirty play goes unnoticed or ignored league wide) but last night was exxagerated because of his past with the steelers. It was an unfortunate play but i dont think it was intentional. Hes a big hitter, but doesnt have a history as a headhunter. Ironically, Burfict broke out the year Harrison was in Cincy.

Of Burfict's considered "dirty" antics, all have involved ankles, except for one cup check. None to my recollection have involved hits to the head.

In general, this is why I dont feel bad for the NFLPA. They claim the league doesn't care about their safety when there are tons of players league wide intentionally trying to injure each other every game whether its head shots or something as small as cup checks and eye gougings.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 01-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Interestingly, James Harrison defended the Burfict hit on Brown saying it shouldn't have been a flag.

James Harrison after seeing the Burfict hit... “It’s a penalty.”
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Pacman Jones claiming that Brown was faking an injury. The best line is the following:

"He deserved a Grammy Award for that," he said. "I know if you just got knocked out you ain't going to be able to wink and tell me you're OK."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...ing-winked-him

Well, I'm pretty sure you can't fake being in the concussion protocol.

Which Adam do you believe? Shefter or Jones?
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    Pacman Jones claiming that Brown was faking an injury. The best line is the following:

"He deserved a Grammy Award for that," he said. "I know if you just got knocked out you ain't going to be able to wink and tell me you're OK."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...ing-winked-him
    Adam Jones may not have the most experience judging acting if he doesn't realize that a Grammy is an award for music.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure you can't fake being in the concussion protocol.

Which Adam do you believe? Shefter or Jones?
    While I do not think Brown was faking, both could be telling the truth.

If Brown was faking, he'd still have to go into the concussion protocol, given the nature of the hit. So, if he was faking, both Adam's, could, indeed, be telling the truth.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.