On Christmas day, 1971 the Dolphins and Chiefs played 82 minutes and 40 seconds of playoff football. the Dolphins scored a touchdown with a minute and 25 seconds left to tie the score at 24-24. Hall of Fame kicker Jan Stenerud missed a short FG with 35 seconds left to send the game to overtime. Both Stenarud and Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian would miss field goals in OT (Stenerud's was blocked, Yepremian missed from 52) before Yepremian finally connected on a 37-yarder halfway through the 6th quarter. RB Ed Podolak racked up 350 all-purpose yards in the game.

On a personal note, both of my parents grew up in Kansas City. We weren't living there at the time, but had gone back for Christmas (so I'm told, I was 4 years old). My uncle Bob had season tickets and took my dad to the game - on Christmas day. My grandmother who, like all grandmothers, lived for family gatherings at the holidays was not happy that her 2 sons, who each had 2 young sons, spent 5 and a half quarters of Christmas day at a football game. The NFL hasn't played a day game on Christmas since 1971, I wouldn't be surprised if my grandmother somehow had something to do with that.