Thread: JPP Sues ESPN, Shefty

JPP Sues ESPN, Shefty

We have (Ahem, darvon) broached the idea of how some of this information gets out and legality of it all. It seems that a player is finally stepping up to the plate to fight these things.

Should be an interesting case, if it goes anywhere (though a settlement is probably likely). I would expect it to be undisclosed and in the millions on behalf of ESPN. I have no idea how Shefty plays out in this.

The SI story: http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/24/jas...edical-records
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

2. Evidently there is a Florida statute which may work in JPP's favor.

From PFT:

The civil complaint filed in a Florida state court in Miami (and posted by Deadspin) alleges that ESPN and Schefter violated Florida Statute 456.057 by disclosing the medical record obtained from the hospital where Pierre-Paul had a finger amputated. Specifically, Section 456.057(11) states that a third party who receives a patient’s medical record “is prohibited from further disclosing any information in the medical record without the expressed written consent of the patient or the patient’s legal representative.”
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

If the above is true then ESPN will be cutting him a nice check.