Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't Fitz getting paid?

Blog Entries

Why isn't Fitz getting paid?

Cousins getting tagged and as a result getting too much money I get. Sam Bradford makes no sense. Brock Osweiler makes no sense. Why are the Jets not paying their QB?
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    I know I like him as QB more than most, but still, why are the Jets playing this hard?
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

3. To me, Fitzy is the best available free agent quarterback.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

4. Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    To me, Fitzy is the best available free agent quarterback.
    This might be true, but it also is a low bar to clear. Being the best quarterback available in free agency is almost a backhanded compliment when it's extremely rare these days for teams to let valuable QBs actually hit the open market.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is 33 years-old, has been in the league for over a decade, has 105 career starts, and has never appeared in a postseason game. He's only had one year where his passer rating was above league average, and he's nearly 20 games under .500 as a starter for his career. He's far from the worst option you could have at quarterback, but there are plenty of reasons why he'd find a lack of interest from teams; especially before the Draft.
    "I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    To me, Fitzy is the best available free agent quarterback.
    This is all true. And if it wasn't for that pesky salary cap, you could pay Fitzpatrick a lot of money. But giving him 18 million a year, when he's probaby an average QB at best doesn't really make a lot of sense. Recent Superbowl successes point to QBs who were either underpaid in their positions or not a big factor in winning the superbowl, so while the QB is a more valuable position than it has been in the past, you still need the salary cap flexibility to put players around your QB.

Blog Entries
    I get the limitations, but historically teams have not been disciplined with QB pay. They have generally let the other teams define the market and gone with it. SOP has the Jets, knowing he is far and away their best option, giving him a Bradfordish two or three year offer at something between 15-19M per year. Not even Geno Smith believes they can do better with Geno Smith starting. Bradford has never been better than Fitz has been recently. Osweiler came back to earth in a Fitzian way in December. Cousins is different because he has been in Washington since the beginning of his career, and because I predicted NFL success for him when he was in college. I think they figure Fitz has been on three quarters of the teams who need quarterbacks and they won't be having him back. Plus he is smart enough not to sign with Cleveland. A team-first QB expresses desire to stay at the end of his contract and the team takes financial advantage. A curiosity in this case largely because he is so well loved by his receivers and coaches, and clearly represents a legitimate chance to make the playoffs seems to be at war with the desire to save 5M. Is the new GM afraid of people mocking him for perception of overpaying Fitz? Denver traded for Sanchez in an effort to keep reporters and fans quiet, and he stinks. I guess image is everything.

I had forgotten about Tannehill, who screams mediocrity.
    Last edited by ScottDCP; 03-13-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    I get the limitations, but historically teams have not been disciplined with QB pay. They have generally let the other teams define the market and gone with it. SOP has the Jets, knowing he is far and away their best option, giving him a Bradfordish two or three year offer at something between 15-19M per year. Not even Geno Smith believes they can do better with Geno Smith starting. Bradford has never been better than Fitz has been recently. Osweiler came back to earth in a Fitzian way in December. Cousins is different because he has been in Washington since the beginning of his career, and because I predicted NFL success for him when he was in college. I think they figure Fitz has been on three quarters of the teams who need quarterbacks and they won't be having him back. Plus he is smart enough not to sign with Cleveland. A team-first QB expresses desire to stay at the end of his contract and the team takes financial advantage. A curiosity in this case largely because he is so well loved by his receivers and coaches, and clearly represents a legitimate chance to make the playoffs seems to be at war with the desire to save 5M. Is the new GM afraid of people mocking him for perception of overpaying Fitz? Denver traded for Sanchez in an effort to keep reporters and fans quiet, and he stinks. I guess image is everything.

I had forgotten about Tannehill, who screams mediocrity.
    I'm with you, Scott. It makes no sense to me. I'd take Fitz over Osweiller (whose major accomplishment was not being worse than an injured, old Peyton last season), Kaeper, or Griffin in a skinny minute, despite his age.

8. It's worth noting too that as it stands right now, the Jets only have about $3M in cap space, which likely isn't even going to be enough to cover all of their draft picks this year; so it's not as though they're flush with cash at the moment.
    "I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Vracar View Post
    It's worth noting too that as it stands right now, the Jets only have about $3M in cap space, which likely isn't even going to be enough to cover all of their draft picks this year; so it's not as though they're flush with cash at the moment.
    Ok, that makes sense, but it's the only thing so far that fits. If I was onFitz's personal team I would raise an eyebrow and the apparent lack of public begging to do with this on the part of the Jets. I would also probably be too keen on a personal level to tell Elway to shove it up his ass.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

I think it's simple and similar to the Broncos' decision with Osweiler. You can find comparable QB play with rookies or even Bryce Petty at this point. They likely have a number in their head and they're just going to wait it out until Fitz leaves or agrees to their deal.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010