Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOW is it time to panic in Dallas?

Blog Entries
    Very much so, if Tennessee can right the ship next week. Houston looks like they could beat anybody right now. I think they lose to the Vikings either way, as the Vikes gain win number two.

Blog Entries
    I can see Dallas at 2-3 easier then at 1-4 or 0-5. They're not as bad as people are making out, they were in both games. They should have won in Washington, but had something like 14 penalities, including one that cost them the game. And, as was said Jay Cutler played a rare perfect game for Chicago. I expect them to lose to Houston, then win the next two.

Blog Entries
    BTW, Jay Cutler's stat line from Sunday's game is as follows: 21-29, 277 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 136.7 rating -- I couldn't tell you the last time he was that good, nor can I tell you the NEXT time he'll be that good.

There's an interesting twist to those stats, though. 21 of the 29 pass plays were short-yardage calls (10 yards or less). Cutler went 18-21 in that situation and got all 3 TDs that way. What this shows me is that the Cowboys defense got nickel-and-dimed for most of the game. They weren't getting burned on deep bombs. And perhaps because of the easy passing game, Dallas held Chicago's running to a very small amount. You would have thought, though, that with so many short-yardage plays being called, the defense should have adjusted for it. I imagine that a lot of the problems Dallas is dealing with right now stems from coaching, and I'll be curious to see if anyone gets fired midway through the season.

For their upcoming games, here's my take:
    HOUSTON -- They're going to lose this. They have a lot of kinks to work out in just one week, and with the way the Texans are playing, it won't be enough. The Dallas faithful can only pray it isn't a blowout.
    TENNESSEE -- I consider this a toss-up. Tennessee had a very bad day with the Steelers, but that happens now and again. They should be able to rebound, and if they keep their wits about them, they have a chance to win. But don't count out the Boys in this one.
    MINNESOTA -- If ever Dallas had a chance to beat the Vikings, it's now. Favre had a dismal performance against the Dolphins, and it's clear that team misses Sidney Rice. In that light, it's been said Minnesota is in talks to trade for Vincent Jackson, which might give the offense a much-needed jolt. That game is several weeks away and a lot could happen between now and then, so for now I'll leave it open.

Bottom line: Realistically, Dallas will either be 2-3, 1-4, or 0-5, but not 3-2. That just doesn't seem plausible. They need to be 2-3 to keep their season alive. I wouldn't be surprised with any of those records, but to me, I think it will be 1-4 or 0-5.

Quote Originally Posted by NickMykita View Post
    For their upcoming games, here's my take:
    HOUSTON -- They're going to lose this. They have a lot of kinks to work out in just one week, and with the way the Texans are playing, it won't be enough. The Dallas faithful can only pray it isn't a blowout.
    TENNESSEE -- I consider this a toss-up. Tennessee had a very bad day with the Steelers, but that happens now and again. They should be able to rebound, and if they keep their wits about them, they have a chance to win. But don't count out the Boys in this one.
    MINNESOTA -- If ever Dallas had a chance to beat the Vikings, it's now. Favre had a dismal performance against the Dolphins, and it's clear that team misses Sidney Rice. In that light, it's been said Minnesota is in talks to trade for Vincent Jackson, which might give the offense a much-needed jolt. That game is several weeks away and a lot could happen between now and then, so for now I'll leave it open.

Bottom line: Realistically, Dallas will either be 2-3, 1-4, or 0-5, but not 3-2. That just doesn't seem plausible. They need to be 2-3 to keep their season alive. I wouldn't be surprised with any of those records, but to me, I think it will be 1-4 or 0-5.
    I agree they lose to Houston and probably the Titans. Minny is a toss up, but I would like for Dallas to win this game, for obvious reasons.

A note on Vincent Jackson and Minnesota- Peter King wrote about why this trade doesn't make sense for Minnesota to do in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, and I gotta say he convinced me. Basically it would amount to Minnesota paying a lot of money and giving up draft picks to rent a guy for 10-11 games, tops. Ziggy may not want to shell out another $7M after giving Favre an extra $6M to return this season, especially since they have several core players whose contract extensions were put off until after the season.

Blog Entries
    Here's what I didn't understand about the game Sunday. Here in Chicago, we all know most of the team is hit or miss...Cutler a GREAT example of that. After the first 2-3 possessions, Cutler was on his butt after every single passing play. I understand they got burned by the 2 quick passes in a row, however, they just stopped bringing pressure, against a makeshift line. Chris Williams was out of the game, I believe Louis was the one who got moved to the left side...just, no pressure, at all, the rest of the game. Can a Dallas fan please explain? I understand they got burnt, but that was on one series, and just don't send all of your linebackers on a blitz then.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

"Panic" is a strong word, but given the difficulty of the Cowboys' schedule on paper, they could not afford to start off 0-2 in two very winnable games.

But, if you're a realistic Dallas fan, you probably accept that going 6-10 this season and getting rid of Wade Phillips is in the best long-term interests for the franchise. If you came into this season expecting to be playing in the Super Bowl at home, then yes, by all means panic...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    "Panic" is a strong word, but given the difficulty of the Cowboys' schedule on paper, they could not afford to start off 0-2 in two very winnable games.

But, if you're a realistic Dallas fan, you probably accept that going 6-10 this season and getting rid of Wade Phillips is in the best long-term interests for the franchise. If you came into this season expecting to be playing in the Super Bowl at home, then yes, by all means panic...
    Well said, GBPKS. Yes, the Cowboys have a tough schedule this year, which I suppose lent itself to the belief that if the Cowboys emerged from it with double-digit wins, they would be a force in the playoffs. Stumbling out of the gate is not going to achieve that.

I find that the hype surrounding the Cowboys had everything to do with the players, and as fans we're naturally inclined to think that way. This leads me to belief that the real issue right now has to do with the coaches. In the Washington game, Jason Garrett looked like a fool at OC. In Chicago, the DC (whose name I don't know) looked completely inept against Mike Martz's offensive gameplan. So I think, GBPKS, you are right in saying that removing Wade Phillips as well as the rest of the staff will help the Cowboys down the road. I would have thought that after a couple disappointing years, Wade would have already been shown the door, but if this season goes belly-up, it will take more than a miracle for him to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by NickMykita View Post
    Well said, GBPKS. Yes, the Cowboys have a tough schedule this year, which I suppose lent itself to the belief that if the Cowboys emerged from it with double-digit wins, they would be a force in the playoffs. Stumbling out of the gate is not going to achieve that.

I find that the hype surrounding the Cowboys had everything to do with the players, and as fans we're naturally inclined to think that way. This leads me to belief that the real issue right now has to do with the coaches. In the Washington game, Jason Garrett looked like a fool at OC. In Chicago, the DC (whose name I don't know) looked completely inept against Mike Martz's offensive gameplan. So I think, GBPKS, you are right in saying that removing Wade Phillips as well as the rest of the staff will help the Cowboys down the road. I would have thought that after a couple disappointing years, Wade would have already been shown the door, but if this season goes belly-up, it will take more than a miracle for him to keep his job.
    I'm pretty sure Wade serves as his own defensive coordinator...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    I'm pretty sure Wade serves as his own defensive coordinator...
    That would explain a lot.

10. Wade has come back from a more dire situation then 0-2. In 1998 we (Bills) started out 0-3 and were facing the 3-0 high flying 49ers. Wade rallied our team, he got everyone to believe that we were going to beat the undefeated 49ers by playing as a team, and executing the offensive/defensive game plans. We went out and beat SF 38-24, and it kick started us onto the playoffs that year. Wade is very capable of getting his team back on track. It's up to the coaches to put together the best plan. The players need to believe in each other, work hard, and then go out and execute their respective O/D game plans. It worked for us back in 1998.