Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What QB Controversy?

What QB Controversy?

As soon as Vick was announced the starter for yesterday's game, and especially after Reid announced Kolb the starter in Week 3 regardless of #7's performance, you had to know the football gods were going to make Vick light it up against the Lions - just because.

So how do they make this work? Thus far Vick has been a good soldier and pumped the breaks publicly since his "If I was in for 4 quarters we would've won" comment after Green Bay, but is anyone doubting he's ready to lead this team?

I have no problems with Kolb resuming the starting role, since, as keeps being reiterated by the talking heads, he's been groomed for the last few years as if he's a freaking show pony, but how short is his leash? Would a two QB system work?

Thoughts, observations, comments, rants.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

I do think Kolb should resume starter, but I feel like Philly fans will be wanting Vick back the next couple weeks. I just think Kolb has some growing pains to get through. Vick is not the long term answer, and Kolb might be. They have to find out.

I learned a while back to stop getting so riled up over decisions made by management, and gnashing teeth expecting a decision doesn't really get anywhere. I believe this is going to be more a test of Reid's stubbornness if Kolb doesn't follow through after a couple games, since he and the Eagles bet the farm on Kolb by trading McNabb to a division rival. They went all in on Kolb, so I'm willing to be patient and let it unfold - if nothing else, Vick's trade value just skyrocketed for teams in need of a number one QB, which I'm glad to report is no one in the NFC East.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Blog Entries
    I'd play Vick for one more week, maybe two. He's the hot hand now, he's playing well. He's also got a one year deal, so if he has another game or two, dangle him as trade bait to - Arizona, or the 49ers, or the Browns, or the Vikings - they can redo a long term deal with him and improve at QB this year (for the first three) or next year (for Minnesota).

Kolb will be given every chance to fail. The Eagles have invested too much in this kid (both money and by trading Mcnabb) to give up after Vick has a good game against The Lions.

If Kolb has 3-4 bad games in a row, and it doesn't look like he's the QB of the future we all hope he is, fine. Bring in Vick and try to compete. But Kolb needs to be given his shot, and 7 unconcussed passes in one game can't be the barometer for success or failure.

Blog Entries
    I think the Eagles offense won't try as hard with Kolb back in, just based off confidence alone. I have no problem with Kolb, and props to Vick for overcoming everything professionally, I just don't see how you can't start Vick. You would think Reid would be excited. And I know he wanted to announce the starter so he wouldn't have to answer questions, but guess what Andy, didn't work. Why NOT start Vick? As stated above, he's the hot hand, but more importantly, it's not broke, yet he's trying to fix it. If I'm Reid, I'm a man of my word...I start Kolb, and then after the first 2-3 series, if Kolb isn't lighting it up, bench him and throw Vick in there haha.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

The Eagles have been to the playoffs 8 of the last 10 years, this isn't a franchise that needs to sacrifice future potential for the sake of a few wins this season. I get the sense from Reid and the organization that they think Kolb has the ability to be a truly elite QB in this league. They're going to give him the chance to grow.

Just posted in the main forum, but Vick is going to start for the Eagles against the Jaguars on Sunday. Needless to say this will significantly cut into Kolb's playing time and who knows how this is going to end up, even though winning cures all ailments. How do we work Kolb into the offense from here if Vick continues to impress?

Someone up there mentioned the Vikings. Can you imagine Michael Vick and Adrian Peterson? I mean, it was pretty great when he played with Warrick Dunn, but AP? Jesus. It could be like a video game played out in real life.

I'm surprised by this move, especially given the typically steady nature of Andy Reid. Unless he can see Vick as his QB for the next 3-5 years, it doesn't really make sense to me, but whatever, I'll be cheering for The Birds either way!