Thread: Assessing the Bengals Offense

Assessing the Bengals Offense

Dave, would love to hear your analysis of the Bengals offense through two games now.

Is it a case of an offense still finding its rhythm with 3 new working parts (TO, Gresham, Shipley) in its base offense, or is there a longterm concern to be worried about? Oline had a much better day other than the penalties.

How big of an impact will Leonard coming back have? Should fans be concerned about Carson?

I got the impression yesterday that TO and Carson are still working on their timing. A couple of Carson's throws he throws like he would to Chad, but Chad breaks back to the ball much quicker.

Kyle Cook has taken heat from the fans too. Warranted? Other than 2 penalties yesterday, I think he does a good job of keeping the NT away from Carson.

Dave, I would love to hear your opinion on the Bengals as well. I'm getting antzy. Is it the O-line, Palmer, or the WR's? Give us your expert opinion.

re-watched and analyzed the Panthers game today and its definitely more the oline than Carson. Out of Carson's 37 pass plays, he had enough time to make a good throw on only 20 of them. Of those 20, he completed 18. That's great. On the other 17 he was either getting rushed, throwing on the run, or having to throw it out of bounds. Further, on those 20 throws his accuracy and arm strengh was amazing. Darts into receivers chests.

The pass protection absolutely has to improve in Cincy.

It wouldn;t be so bad if the O-line was dominating in run blocking like last year. But they seem to have regressed there as well. I wish it could be made better but short of signing Mankins or Andre Smith suddenly seeing the light, I think we're doomed to watching more than a few games like last week.
    My hypocrisy goes only so far.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin View Post
    It wouldn;t be so bad if the O-line was dominating in run blocking like last year. But they seem to have regressed there as well. I wish it could be made better but short of signing Mankins or Andre Smith suddenly seeing the light, I think we're doomed to watching more than a few games like last week.
    I find this interesting. As much as I'd love to see Logan Mankins back with the Pats, that looks unlikely to say the least. What do you think the odds are that Cincy makes an offer for him before the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I find this interesting. As much as I'd love to see Logan Mankins back with the Pats, that looks unlikely to say the least. What do you think the odds are that Cincy makes an offer for him before the trade deadline.

unlikely. Bengals don't make a lot of trades. Plus, isn't Mankins on the exempt list like Vincent Jackson and McNeil? That means whenever he gets on a roster, he's out 3 games. The longer it goes, the less likely anyone will trade for him.

Simply putting Andre at RT will go a long way in helping the Bengals oline, particularly the running game. An improved running game will also help the passing game, plus Andre is a better pass blocker than Roland anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    re-watched and analyzed the Panthers game today and its definitely more the oline than Carson. Out of Carson's 37 pass plays, he had enough time to make a good throw on only 20 of them. Of those 20, he completed 18. That's great. On the other 17 he was either getting rushed, throwing on the run, or having to throw it out of bounds. Further, on those 20 throws his accuracy and arm strengh was amazing. Darts into receivers chests.

The pass protection absolutely has to improve in Cincy.
    This is encouraging, but each week I wonder more and more about Andre. Collins, Roland, or Smith have to step up, or give Willie a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by walzav31 View Post
    This is encouraging, but each week I wonder more and more about Andre. Collins, Roland, or Smith have to step up, or give Willie a shot.
    I don't see Willie coming back. I think that bridge is burned. Likewise, with Bengals1181, Cincy won't sign Mankins. Intrestingly, I read a thing somewhere else that had an almost identical analysis of Palmer's passes as 1181 had. They had a comment about 85 free-lancing as well, which you could clearly see on the 1st INT last week. Their main knock on CP was that he's staring down his receiver. I don't see it happening ALL the time, but it does seem to be more prevalent then earlier in his career. But then, he had a better O-line then. Yeesh! This could make someone nuts trying to figure it all out!

Bridge isn't burned, Willie helped coach the Bengals Oline yesterday. He's retired though. Hasn't filed the papers, but says he's done.

That's what I meant... bad choice of words on my part.