Thread: Week 4. Bills

Blog Entries

Week 4. Bills

Week 4. Rex and the Bills. Last week without TB12 (and Nink). A win gets us to 4-0 without Brady and gives us a very commanding lead in the division. Even a loss leaves us alone in first, but a win would be much better.

Weather is cloudy, in the high 50s, with a twenty percent chance of rain.

Notable inactives for us are Jimmy and Cooper. Geez, will Cooper ever play? Zona is killing the Chandler Jones trade.

Notable inactives for them are Reggie Bush, Greg Salas, Justin Hunter. That doesn't include the now on IR Sammy Watkins.

So, Jacoby Brissett gets start #2. Go Pats!

On a Boston side note, as he finishes up his last regular season home series, I wanna shout out to David Ortiz.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Blog Entries
    Sunday starts off well from my perspective. The Jags win over the Colts!

Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts have the call.

First Quarter.

Pats get the ball first. We start at the 9. He came out, paused, and then ran. Bad play.
    We three and out but there is more to say on the drive. On the first play, Jacoby dumps a pass off to Jules. Jules goes 90 yards, and is tackled at the one. However, it comes back on OPI on Hogan. On the replay, it was clear that Hogan did, in fact, make contact with a DB. But, it came after the catch. Jules had already gone 5 yards with the ball before contact, so it was a legal block. The call was incorrect and took away a 90 yard play.

The Bills start at the 35. The Bills have a decent drive. 12 plays. Most of them were well contained. But, Taylor had throws of 15 (to Clay) and 13 (to Shady.). They had a 16 yard gain with a Gilleslee direct wildcat snap. (A second wildcat play for Shady was a 2 yard gain). They end the drive with a 7 yard TD catch by Shady. On that play, holding on Woods (against Hightower) was missed by Moreilli's crew.

While the Bills deserved that TD, at this point, the key to the game has been the officials.

7-0 Bills. 5:31 left.

We start at the 14. Jones with a bad return. He was decisive this time. But, he needs to learn to kneel when he catches it halfway into the endzone.

We three and out. We ran a wildcat with Jules on 2nd and 3. No gain and a missed horsecollar
    call.

Pete's crew is doing terrible. 3 good calls, 3 bad (or missed calls).

Bills start at the 32. They end the quarter working on a nice drive. They had three more good plays. A pass to Shady (for 11) and to Woods (for 10). Taylor got a 14 yard run on a designed draw that was a nice play.

However, on 1st and 10 at the 18, Taylor went to Clay and missed. After the play, Incognito was flagged, giving the Bills a second and 25. A 3rd and 21 will be how they start the second.

The Bills handily won the first quarter.

Blog Entries
    Second quarter.

The Bills gain 13 yards on a pass, then take the 34 yard FG. 10-0 Bills. 14:49 left.

Pats start at the 25. Jones takes a knee this time and gets an ovation from the crowd. Four and out. We got an 11 yard catch by Bennett, and then three plays and a punt.

Bills start at the 5 after Gilmore is called for a block out of bounds on the return. Once more they move the ball. Three more big plays Taylor passed to Woods (for 14) and O'Leary (for 17). Gillislee also had an 11 yard run.

They settle for a 42 yard FG. The ball was snapped after the play clock hit zero, but, naturally, no flag.

13-0 Bills. 7:46 left.

The offense has excuses to not be great. The defense doesn't. Step it up.

The Pats start at the 25. We get hosed! We start with a 58 yard pass play to Bennett. Blunts runs for 4, and then 6. However, the reft spot it a half yard short. We run a sneak and get the first down!. But, Morelli blows the play dead since 'all of the officals were not in position. It is still third down'
    Blount again gets the first, and it comes back on a (correct) holding call. On 3rd and 11, Jacoby runs for it, fumbles and the Bills recover.

Again, Morelli and his fail crew have impacted the game. As many as 10 Bills points off of missed calls. As many as 14 Pats points stolen by a bad call and an offical error.

Bills start at the 9. 10 plays and a punt. They do convert a 2nd and 20 with a 22 yard pass to Woods. We burn two timeouts on the drive.

We start at the 20. Three and out. Hughes with a 14 yard sack, and then two runs. Bills use thier last timeouts. We'll punt with 8 seconds left and the punt uses up the rest of the clock.

The Bills have won the first half. But, it's only 13-0, and we have made plays. Not every many, but we have made some. I do not want to take away from the Bills, as they have played well. However, Morelli and his crew are the key factor in this game. They have had too many errors for a preseason game, let alone week 4.

Blog Entries
    Third Quarter.

The Bills start at the 25. Three and out. We needed that. Go offense!

We start at the 24. Nothing is going right. We have a nice 19 yard catch by Bennett, but we end up missing a 48 yard FG. Two more missed calls - Jules was held down the sidelines by Gilmore on a long pass and Brissett was hit helmet to helmet. Bolden also dropped a pass at the five.

The Bills start at the 38. Bills run 7 more plays. They have two big plays. Both are passes. One to Woods (for 23) and the other to Goodwin (for 12). But, they miss a 47 yard FG. It's a small blessing, but we really need points. Unless we score, they don't need to.

We start at the 37. 5 plays and a punt. Two big plays. A Jules catch for 16, and a Jacoby 10 yard run were nice. A correct Chop Block call on Solder killed the drive.

The Bills start at the 30. Brandon Tate with a nice return. 10 play drive that ends with a44 yard FG. 16-0. :28 left.

The Bills drive was the least impressive one of the day for them that was not a three and out. The key was was (wait for it) a flag. Long was called for roughing the passer. What did he do? Right after Taylor threw the ball, he tapped Taylor's chest, a light push that didn't even knock Taylor down. That was the difference between punt and FG.

13 points. That's what Morelli has given the Bills.

Blog Entries
    Fourth Quarter.

I'm adding the last 28 seconds of the third to this part.

We start at the 25. We end the quarter with a 5 yard scramble that will give us a second and 5.

The Bills won the third.

We start the 4th poorly. We get a spark when Gronk makes a 10 yard catch. Then, we have back to back calls on Jules kill the drive. False start and illegal shift. Morelli's having to reach for bad calls. 5 plays and a punt after the 4th starts.

The Bills start at the 15. 10 plays and a punt. Taylor had two more amazing plays during the drive.

Jordan Mills, a Bills lineman, hurt on the drive. Rex had to use a challenge when the officials messed up a spot. The refs did get it wrong (I do want to be fair), and they fixed it on review.

Corey White, of the Bills, was hurt on the punt.

We start at the 24. Danny muffs the punt but falls on it. We go with a long drive that has some nice plays. Blount had a 16 yard run, and Jacoby had some nice passes. Bennett had one for 16 and Bolden had one for 12. Bolden was hurt and we ended up turning it over on downs. I would have taken the FG, just to deny the shutout.

The Bills start at the 21. 5 runs and a punt.

We start at the 26 after Jones muffs and recovers his own punt. We throw twice to White for 35 total, then run once. We should have spiked the ball a couple times. Tried for points.

I'm sure the Bills will act like this is the Super Bowl. But, let's look at things honestly.

1. I have never seen the Pats Special Teams play this poorly in Belichick's been here. Two bad calls by Jones to return kicks, two muffed punts, and a missed FG;
    2. A third string QB facing a Rex Ryan defense;
    3. A Pats defense that never really seemed dialed in;
    4. A Bills offense that was did everything it wanted to
    5. Officiating that terrible is too kind a word for.

With all of that, they only scored 16.

Bring on October 30th. And

Welcome back Nink! Welcome Back Tom!

Blog Entries
    Additional note!!

During a third quatrter TV time out, Morelli was talking to another ref and has his mike on!

Here is what the entire crowd heard: "Turned into a pretty good game. But one big hit, this s--- could explode."

Maybe that could explain as much as the bad calls why he was being boo'ed so much.

Will the NFL fine him for doing a bad job? No, I don't think so. But they might for the minor profanity.

Blog Entries
    I saw bits and pieces. It felt nice being on the good end of some questionable non-calls, although I would argue that Alexander hit Brisett in the head with his forearm, not his helmet.

Also, I have since been some footage of a couple Bills being *******s during markups. Embarrassing.

Something interesting has happened in the last couple weeks in Buffalo. Ryan has let go of playcalling, so Buffalo has been more aggressive.

Roman got fired. Earned that. Lynn has been doing a nice job. Not gro7breaking and way too much wildcat for my liking, but he has done the solid, competent j9b I expected but rarely got from Roman.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!