Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the 1/4 pole: 2016 Fact or Crap -- the Quarterbacks

1. At the 1/4 pole: 2016 Fact or Crap -- the Quarterbacks

Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason.
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit)
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    I'll go with the over on Goff.
    Bradford: Long term? No. This season, part of next, yes.
    Wentz: I agree.
    Stafford: I agree.
    Palmer: I don't think he's done. I'm not sure he's mentally over the NFC title game.
    Brock: I think he'll be ok with some more time.
    Cam: Sadly, I agree. I don't know why the Panthers seem to have gone away from the protection scheme they used for 18 games last year that worked to the one they used in the Super Bowl which doesn't. Cam also doesn't get the flags he should.
    Tannehill: Stink? No. He's average. He is really good at times, but doesn't sustain that.
    Bears: Yes, I agree.
    Lynch: No. I think Siemien (did I spell that right?) will keep the job.
    Ben: Yes.
    Luck: I was amazed he signed that extension. I would not have. I would have said. "Tag me. Show me you can draft a line, and if you do, I'll stay. If not, I'm gone." I like Luck (I dislike the Colts), but the front office not doing anything about the line is going to get him hurt. Again.
    Brees: Yes
    Jameis: Top 10, by then, I think.
    Rodgers: Maybe. I don't see it, but maybe.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Blog Entries
    What she saud, except Goff. I will take the under. Also Wentz for the same reason as Bradford. I don't think either one will stay healthy long enough to do the great things. Oh, and Brock Laloosh - just doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy you need to win the Super Bowl. Too many balls within a yard of the receiver rather than where only he can catch it, and safely.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30 I BELIEVE THE RAMS REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY HIM MUCH THIS YEAR, NOT THAT HE WAS A BUST. FISHER IS MORE OLD SCHOOL IN THAT WAY. HE SHOULD GET OVER 30 STARTS EASILY.
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CONSIDER LONG-TERM. BRADFORD IS STILL INJURY PRONE AND I THINK THE VIKINGS STILL LIKE BRIDGEWATER OVER BRADFORD. BUT BRIDGEWATER MAY NEVER BE THE SAME. I CAN'T SEE BRADFORD BEING THE STARTER LONGER THAN 3 YEARS. IF THREE YEARS IS LONG-TERM, THEN SURE.
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career I THINK WENTZ CERTAINLY HAS THE CAPABILITY OF BEING AN ELITE QB. BUT I DON'T SEE HIM BEING ALL-PRO 2X IN HIS CAREER.
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford DISAGREE. STAFFORD IS NOT AN ELITE QB, BUT ITS HARD TO FIND A CAPABLE STARTING QB AND THAT IS WHY TEAMS OVERPAY FOR STARTING QBS AND THE LIONS WILL REALIZE THIS UNTIL THEY FIND THEIR HEIR APPARENT IN THE DRAFT OR WHATEVER.
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason. YES.
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit) I THOUGHT IT WAS A MISTAKE FOR HOUSTON TO SIGN HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE AND HE WAS OVERVALUED, SO NO I DON'T THINK HE WILL.
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year PROBABLY. CAROLINA NEEDS TO CHANGE HOW THEY USE HIM.
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks DOESN'T REALLY STINK, BUT IS A BIT OF A DISAPPOINTMENT.
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler YEAH I THINK THE BEARS WANT TO CUT THE CORD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE HERE.
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos THIS IS HARD TO ANSWER BECAUSE THE BRONCOS WILL BE PLAYOFF BOUND AND THEY PROBABLY ARE GOING TO SIT LYNCH FOR THE PLAYOFFS. BUT IF YOU MEAN HE'LL BECOME THE STARTING QB BY THE END OF THE YEAR, THEN YES.
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE BIG BEN IS PRETTY GOOD, BUT IF YOU PUT RODGERS WITH BEN'S OFFENSE, IT WOULD BE INSANE TO SEE THE POINTS THAT OFFENSE WOULD SCORE.
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity YEAH CRAPPY OFFENSIVE LINE AND LACK OF MANY SKILLED POSITION PLAYERS IS KILLING LUCK HERE. HE ISN'T HELPING HIMSELF MUCH BY HIS DECISIONS, BUT I THINK HE FEELS LIKE HE HAS TO CARRY A CRAPPY TEAM.
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019 BREES STILL LOOKS GOOD, BUT I THINK HE WILL REGRESS IN THE NEXT THREE YEARS. FATHER TIME IS NOT NICE TO FOOTBALL PLAYERS IN THEIR LATE 30S/40S. JUST LOOK AT HOW BAD PEYTON BECAME. ONE BIG INJURY TO BREES AND THAT'S IT.
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018 NOT TOP 7, PROBABLY MORE IN THE RANGE OF 9-16.
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019 NOPE, STILL PLAYING.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30 Over
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford False
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career Disagree
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford Disagree, this is a Cutler situation
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason. No, but he might be mentally done.
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit) Yep
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year Disagree. But 2-4 seems likely
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks Yes. Hard to watch. Makes good play and then gets sacked twice due to horrible pocket awareness.
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler This is becoming way too obvious. Thus, Bears won't even get a pick for him.
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos This should have said....Come 2017,...
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE Yes. Was discussing possibility of being top tier with buddies in Vegas.
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity We're reaching Archie Manning territory.
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019 No. He will be retired. Will get his $$ and retire as a Saint. That SB win was enough fro management
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018 Yes. Not giving up yet. His style will lead to having these stretches from time to time.
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019 False.
    See my answers in bold above.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

6. For the record...

RE: Stafford -- I happen to believe fervently the Lions will re-sign him. QBs under 30 who have 27,000+ passing yards and 86 consecutive starts (including playoffs) do not grow on trees. The only way the team opts to let Matthew walk is if they happen upon a Russell Wilson situation (good QB who hangs around until the later rounds in the draft).

Oh, to be a little clearer on my Big Ben comment. We were discussing the best three quarterbacks in the league and we were thinking that Ben might be the best. No kidding. We had him top three, no doubt. With Rodgers and Brady.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

8. Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30 UNDER
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford CRAP Bridgewater comes back next season
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career CRAP Kid will taper off once more tape on him is available
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford CRAP
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason. FACT
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit) CRAP
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year FACT
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks FACT
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler CRAP They can't let the best QB since Sid Luckman go, can they?
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos FACT
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE ABSOLUTE FACT
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity FACT Truth hurts.
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019 CRAP He'll be running for office (which office, I do not know).
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018 FACT
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019 FACT Too much to live for outside the game
    Last edited by Patrick Sullivan; 10-05-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Oh, to be a little clearer on my Big Ben comment. We were discussing the best three quarterbacks in the league and we were thinking that Ben might be the best. No kidding. We had him top three, no doubt. With Rodgers and Brady.
    Let's also remember that Ben is calling most to all of plays, not just audibles. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Brady or Rodgers do that.

I think the general talk of downgrading Ben because of his weapons is unfair. Brady has Gronk and Edelman, Rodgers has Nelson, Cobb, and Lacy, and Ben has AB and Bell. We saw what AB did last year when Ben was out, and we saw that a physically compromised Ben nearly led the Steelers to a win in the playoffs in Denver even without AB, Bell, and De'Angelo, so there's real evidence that Ben is the true lynchpin of this team.

LT Alejandro Villanueva is a former Army Ranger and he says Ben is the best leader he's ever worked with, so there's that...

Roethlisberger, at his peak, is better than any other QB in the league. He's also proven to be more injury-prone and tends to have a bit more variance to his performance than Brady and Rodgers (although Rodgers hasn't exactly been elite over the last season+).

I have no problem if people want to put Ben 3rd because of those issues, but I do feel like when it comes to a QB's "A" game, Ben takes a backseat to no one in the league.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30 OVER- Goff is a very capable talent and eventually he'll actually get to work with a good coach.
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford FACT
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career FACT- Real. Deal.
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford CRAP Stafford is not the problem, and until last week, had been great since JBC took over.
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason. FACT Generally speaking. He may still have moments, but his time has passed.
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit) FACT- I believe in B.O.B. Give it time.
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year PROBABLY
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks CRAP- He just really stinks.
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler CRAP- Brian Hoyer will eventually remind them that Cutler is a much better option.
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos- CRAP Shouldn't the Broncos be trying to trade for Philip Rivers?
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE Of course (see my answer above)
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity- CRAP- It's temporary. Luck is legit.
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019 CRAP- I feel like he'll fall off a cliff quickly within the next couple of years.
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018 FACT
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019 CRAP- But he'll be a shell of what we saw in the early 2010s.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll