Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At the 1/4 pole: 2016 Fact or Crap -- the Quarterbacks

1. I probably could have phrased the Luck one a little better. What I was driving at is that the Colts will continue to be poorly run and mediocre. That is a referendum on the team, not the player. When he has a decent team (face it, the Colts are putrid), Luck is a tremendous player. That club he is playing for right now has done that guy NO favors in the personnel department.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

2. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler CRAP- Brian Hoyer will eventually remind them that Cutler is a much better option.
    What? The Bears can't use YouTube to go watch Hoyer's performance against the Chiefs in last year's playoffs?
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30 Under, if he can't get Case Keenum off the field and especially if Jeff Fisher gets a contract extension because of it.
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford Crap.
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career Crap. Pro Bowl, probably.
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford Crap. Everybody extends the contract of talented quarterbacks who produce middling results.
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason. Crap, but only because maybe the arm died before last year's playoffs and it wasn't just Carson Palmer being Carson Palmer in January.
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit) Crap. I never really liked Osweiler and I think O'Brien's willingness to try to fix a guy has a definitive expiration date.
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year Crap, I think?
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks Fact. He manages to look awful no matter who they're playing.
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler Crap, they're still trying to trade him to the Browns.
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos Fact. Everyone who covers football and went to Northwestern feels great about Siemien (or however you spell his name), but that's about the extent of it.
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE Fact. Roethlisberger has been a top-five guy for a while, and is in that tier with Rodgers and Brady right now.
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity Fact! The Indianapolis Colts have basically been drafting like the Cleveland Browns for about the last decade, apart from being terrible in the exact year they needed to be to draft the single best quarterback prospect since they last drafted the best quarterback prospect.
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019 Fact. I really wanted to say crap, but something about Drew Brees just screams 'doesn't know when to hang 'em up' to me.
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018 Okay. Let's assume Brady has retired by then (and Romo, who I'd probably put top-seven when healthy), leaving Roethlisberger and Rodgers, as well as Russell Wilson and Cam Newton. Maybe Matt Ryan, who's always put up numbers, is taking that real step forward this year, so that's five. That basically leaves two spots for guys to step into--is Winston more likely than Luck, Wentz, Carr? What about the four games we've seen of Dak Prescott? He looks better than Bortles and Mariota, anyway. I don't know, so I'm rolling with crap.
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019 Crap, I just think there's too much money to be made.
    Last edited by Matt Kocsan; 10-05-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    What? The Bears can't use YouTube to go watch Hoyer's performance against the Chiefs in last year's playoffs?
    I was in a playoff fantasy league last year where I had a late pick. I missed out on the top QBs, so I waited and gambled on Hoyer hoping that he'd play a couple of games.

I didn't win that league.

images.jpeg
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

5. Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Over/Under - Jared Goff, total career NFL starts: 30: Under. His QB coach is Chris Weinke, who has The Stench of Panther Failure all over him, and his head coach is Jeff Fisher. Double whammy.
    Vikings long-term starter: Sam Bradford : Fact, if by "Long-Term," you mean "till he gets hurt again."
    Carson Wentz will make All-Pro at least 2x in his career: Fact. I'm a believer.
    The Detroit Lions will not extend the contract of Matthew Stafford: Crap. Who else they got? Does it matter? Whatever the Lions do, it will come back to bite them in the butt.
    Carson Palmer is DONE. That arm died during the offseason.: Fact. He's done. Not unlike my beloved Jake Delhomme, that horrible playoff game, his age and injury history have all conspired to spell the end. Sorry for your luck, Carson, but not that sorry.
    Brock Osweiler will see the final $$ of that fat contract (or be extended, not cut/traded for a bucket of warm spit): Crap. I'm going with warm spit. He's this year's Kevin Kolb. Or Matt Flynn. Take your pick.
    Cam Newton will miss at least 5 games due to injury this year:Fact. At least 5. And it won't matter, because the Panthers are never going to have the ball again. Our defensive backfield consists of questionable rookies, guys who used to work at the Food Lion Deli counter, and Kurt Coleman.
    Yes. Ryan Tannehill really, really stinks: Crap. Brock Osweiller really, really stinks. Tannehill is moderately competent at times.
    The Chicago Bears are five minutes away from pink-slipping Jay-Jay Cutler:Crap. They don't want to take away Bears' fans #1 pastime, ragging on JayJay.
    Come Week 17, Paxton Lynch will be starting for the Broncos:Fact. No one can remember Siemian's name. I don't even think Elway can remember his name. If Lynch looks good today, what's-his-name is back on the sidelines.
    When fielding his full complement of weapons, Big Ben is as good as ANYONE Fact, Dammit!:
    The Petyon-Free & Polian/Dungy-less Colts will continue to suck Andrew Luck down the drain of mediocrity:Heartbreaking fact. He's an incredible talent, but I see no evidence that the Colts know how build a team around him, or that Irsay is competent to hire people who can do so.
    Drew Brees will still be the Saints starter in 2019: Crap. Everybody gets old.
    Jameis Winston will be a top 7 QB by 2018 Crap. He's a low-life, and he will implode before then. :
    Aaron Rodgers will be retired by 2019:Fact, but contingent on the Pack winning another championship between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I'll go with the over on Goff.
    Bradford: Long term? No. This season, part of next, yes.
    Wentz: I agree.
    Stafford: I agree.
    Palmer: I don't think he's done. I'm not sure he's mentally over the NFC title game.
    Brock: I think he'll be ok with some more time.
    Cam: Sadly, I agree. I don't know why the Panthers seem to have gone away from the protection scheme they used for 18 games last year that worked to the one they used in the Super Bowl which doesn't. Cam also doesn't get the flags he should.
    Tannehill: Stink? No. He's average. He is really good at times, but doesn't sustain that.
    Bears: Yes, I agree.
    Lynch: No. I think Siemien (did I spell that right?) will keep the job.
    Ben: Yes.
    Luck: I was amazed he signed that extension. I would not have. I would have said. "Tag me. Show me you can draft a line, and if you do, I'll stay. If not, I'm gone." I like Luck (I dislike the Colts), but the front office not doing anything about the line is going to get him hurt. Again.
    Brees: Yes
    Jameis: Top 10, by then, I think.
    Rodgers: Maybe. I don't see it, but maybe.
    Amy, with the Panthers, I think it's less scheme than it is "horses." Remmers and Oher were mostly adequate last season, but the Broncos demonstrated that they cannot hold up against a really fast defense. They make me miss Byron Bell. We miss JStew horribly--Artis-Payne doesn't have a good grasp of the read/option and doesn't release when he should. Our receivers aren't getting open; Funchness is only a 2nd year guy, and for all practical purposes, so is Benjamin. KB probably won't be himself until later in the season, if not next season. And you're right, Cam doesn't get anywhere close to the number of flags he should, so teams know they can go helmet-to-helmet and hit him late, so they continue to do so. I still think we will right the ship, but maybe not in time to make a playoff run.