Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mock Drafts

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Gimme any 3 of 1,2, and 4 and I'd still be thrilled. Hell, give me 2.

As for the QB, one of the guys who has been my favorite just fell even more into the developmental category, which is perfect behind Andy for a year. He could even spend the year on IR while we have some stop-gap backup provide depth.

And that's Chad Kelly. He has all of the physical talent in the world, which he sometimes relies on a bit too much. In fact, it's hard not to compare him to Brett Favre in some ways. But take a guy like that and sit him behind ultra-careful, methodical Andy Dalton and he might really turn into something. I have to think with that knee now he's going to be a 3rd rounder at best, perhaps lower still.
    Well, he's a bit of a knucklehead who is talented, but he got kicked out of one major program (Clemson), was arrested outside a bar a few years ago, and a few months ago during a break in Ole Miss' schedule, he went back to see his brother play and he had to be restrained when his brother got hit late, which had started a brawl.

Maybe one of those guys you take a flier on because he won't be drafted high, and you like his competitiveness... but wonder about his maturity. I recently read an article that suggests he'd fall to the 7th round, but who knows at this point. Bottom line, he'll have to answer for some of his off-field stuff. I know that lots of guys have tarnished resumes, but I worry when your QB has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'm still not convinced we wind up picking high enough to get Barnett.
    I'd be happy with Ross.
    I don't see Pocic lasting that long, but I really want either him or Elflein.
    I don't know where he is going to wind up ranked, but I really want TJ Watt in this draft.
    I personally wouldn't waste a pick on a punter. I do like the Carlson pick though.

Hard to debate value at this early date. I agree Bengals aren't likely to finish the season drafting 15th but at the bye week that's where they're at. Plus, it's hard to argue they're anything but a .500 team. If that remains true their final draft position won't change much.

Also, Draftek rankings are, for better or worse...vastly different from Draftscout. The unfamiliarity made the mock more fun to do, but I can't defend the rankings.

As for the place kicker, I'm not that familiar with Daniel Carlson but I have watched pre game footage of him practicing kicks from 55-60-65 yards. He made the latter with relative ease, with the ball clearing so high above the crossbar some speculated he could make a 70 yard kick if given the chance. Later made all three attempts, including a 50 yarder, in the game.

Wow.

Rang's latest mock has John Ross completely off the board when the Bengals select.

Ross goes 6th overall. Bengals draft...10th?

Bengals settle for Cam Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Wow.

Rang's latest mock has John Ross completely off the board when the Bengals select.

Ross goes 6th overall. Bengals draft...10th?

Bengals settle for Cam Robinson.
    Another OT?

Matt Miller just released a Top50 Big Board as well as Top10 rankings for each position.

WR Rankings?

Mike Williams #7 overall. Corey Davis, Western Michigan #32. John Ross #36. Ju Ju Smith #41.

Matt Miller just released a Top50 Big Board as well as Top10 rankings for each position.

WR Rankings?

Mike Williams #7 overall. Corey Davis, Western Michigan #32. John Ross #36. Ju Ju Smith #41.
    Corey Davis is interesting... some I've read think he's dominated at a lower level of competition and he likely will not do the same playing at a higher level. Of course, Antonio Brown played in the same college conference, so there's that. I saw some of the Kent St game last night. He wasn't targeted a lot in the first half, which was disappointing because I didn't see the 2H. He looks like he's definitely got good size to him, and he's got speed but didn't look like it was take the top off a defense speed. Only had one catch for the game.

Speaking of speed, I think when it's all said and done, John Ross will be a top 20 pick. His speed and acceleration is hard to find.

Pitt has a kicker that has a bunch of kicks over 50 yards and just nailed a 47 yarder to beat #2 Clemson with 6 seconds on the clock. But the best part of all is that he may have the best name all time for a kicker:

Blewitt.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Pitt has a kicker that has a bunch of kicks over 50 yards and just nailed a 47 yarder to beat #2 Clemson with 6 seconds on the clock. But the best part of all is that he may have the best name all time for a kicker:

Blewitt.
    With a name lime that, I thought he played for the Bengals the past few years.

He's got a big leg and I was happy that after missing an XP and getting a 50+ yarder blocked earlier in the game, he was able to come back and nail a long, clutch FG with room to spare. Great story.

So how much did I enjoy last nights game between Washington and USC?

Enough to plant tongue firmly in cheek and present a 7-round mock draft so good it practically DEMANDS to be taken semi-seriously. Draftscout player rankings used this time.

1 (10) - WR/KR, John Ross, Washington - His battle within the war with Adorree Jackson was epic stuff, from the first play of the game where Ross took a simple screen pass, made 3 Trojan defenders miss, and settled for a 23 yard gain....to the unbelievable 70 yard TD courtesy of a line of the scrimmage stutter step that actually dropped a helpless Adorree Jackson to his knees. 8 catches, 154 yards, 1 TD. Did I mention he's the #2 ranked KR in the nation?

2 (41) - CB/WR/RB/PR, Adorree Jackson, USC - His first interception prompted the announcers to gush about how Deion Sanders would bait QB's who didn't respect his speed. His second interception may have been enough to make him player of the game despite surrendering the 70-yarder. Unbelievable. Did I mention he's the #2 ranked PR in the nation?

3 (74) - OLT, Chad Wheeler, USC - The tackle class in the coming draft might be as bad as I can remember and in the past Wheeler has some character red flags. But he's solid and the Bengals could use OT depth. And a note for the Peko haters, I also considered Elijah Qualls here, Washington's 327lb Danny Shelton clone.

4 ( 107) - ILB, Azeem Victor, Washington - I haven't heard how serious the leg injury is but when healthy Victor's style of play is oft compared to our own Vontaze Burfict...without all of the BS. High praise.

4 ( 135) - ORG/ORT - Damien Mama, USC - 328lb Big Mama is almost always ranked amongst guards, but last night he started for the Trojans at ORT.

4 (136) - CB - Kevin King, Washington - The Bengals have great CB depth right now, but soon they'll have decisions to make about Kirkpatrick, Dennard, and perhaps even Adam Jones. (Yeah, I said it.)

5 (145) - TRADED - Lets say I used it to move up from #107. Months from now if Azeem Victor is medically cleared at Indy he won't last until the 4th round.

6 (177) - DE - Joe Mathis, Washington - Huskies were missing their best pass rusher last night, but the foot injury isn't thought to be serious. At 6'2", 255 he's probably too small to be anything but a situational pass rusher for Marvin Lewis, but that's enough.

6 (200) - TE - Darnell Daniels, Washington - The Bengals have an open spot for a TE prospect on their practice squad.

6 (201) - PK - Cameron Van Winkle, Washington - Bengal fans awake from long slumber to find a new lousy kicker on the roster.

7 (210) - ???
    Last edited by HOF; 11-13-2016 at 02:10 PM.

So how much did I enjoy last nights game between Washington and USC?

Enough to plant tongue firmly in cheek and present a 7-round mock draft so good it practically DEMANDS to be taken semi-seriously. Draftscout player rankings used this time.

1 (10) - WR/KR, John Ross, Washington - His battle within the war with Adorree Jackson was epic stuff, from the first play of the game where Ross took a simple screen pass, made 3 Trojan defenders miss, and settled for a 23 yard gain....to the unbelievable 70 yard TD courtesy of a line of the scrimmage stutter step that actually dropped a helpless Adorree Jackson to his knees. 8 catches, 154 yards, 1 TD. Did I mention he's the #2 ranked KR in the nation?

2 (41) - CB/WR/RB/PR, Adorree Jackson, USC - His first interception prompted the announcers to gush about how Deion Sanders would bait QB's who didn't respect his speed. His second interception may have been enough to make him player of the game despite surrendering the 70-yarder. Unbelievable. Did I mention he's the #2 ranked PR in the nation?

3 (74) - OLT, Chad Wheeler, USC - The tackle class in the coming draft might be as bad as I can remember and in the past Wheeler has some character red flags. But he's solid and the Bengals could use OT depth. And a note for the Peko haters, I also considered Elijah Qualls here, Washington's 327lb Danny Shelton clone.

4 ( 107) - ILB, Azeem Victor, Washington - I haven't heard how serious the leg injury is but when healthy Victor's style of play is oft compared to our own Vontaze Burfict...without all of the BS. High praise.

4 ( 135) - ORG/ORT - Damien Mama, USC - 328lb Big Mama is almost always ranked amongst guards, but last night he started for the Trojans at ORT.

4 (136) - CB - Kevin King, Washington - The Bengals have great CB depth right now, but soon they'll have decisions to make about Kirkpatrick, Dennard, and perhaps even Adam Jones. (Yeah, I said it.)

5 (145) - TRADED - Lets say I used it to move up from #107. Months from now if Azeem Victor is medically cleared at Indy he won't last until the 4th round.

6 (177) - DE - Joe Mathis, Washington - Huskies were missing their best pass rusher last night, but the foot injury isn't thought to be serious. At 6'2", 255 he's probably too small to be anything but a situational pass rusher for Marvin Lewis, but that's enough.

6 (200) - TE - Darnell Daniels, Washington - The Bengals have an open spot for a TE prospect on their practice squad.

6 (201) - PK - Cameron Van Winkle, Washington - Bengal fans awake from long slumber to find a new lousy kicker on the roster.

7 (210) - ???
    You didn't have room for DT Vita Vea. I watched Washington a few weeks ago and for some reason two older players were getting more time (he's a redshirt Sophomore). I was curious what the buzz was about. IMO, last night, he proved why he's being talked about a top 25 player. He was a force in both the run and the pass, he's quick and stout, and he seems to have a little mean in him.

As for the Peko haters, I think he's got the samoan thing going on so there's that.