Page 1 of 99 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mock Drafts

2017 Mock Drafts

CBS Sports has the Bengals going with a defensive end, something they clearly need after signing Wallace Gilberry to come aid the defense for the rest of the season.
    Cincinnati Bengals: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
    Barnett isn't elite in any one area, but his well-rounded skillset and intangibles will endear him to NFL coaches.
    SB Nation has the Bengals choosing a linebacker, another position that has been underachieving this season, after high expectations existed coming into the season.

Cincinnati Bengals: Reuben Foster, MLB, Alabama
    The play of Rey Maualuga has been average, and Vontaze Burfict has been involved in numerous issues on the field. Foster could be an instant upgrade in the middle of Cincinnati's defense.
    NFL Spin Zone also chose Foster for the Bengals:
    This is yet another unexpected team to be picking as high as they are, but the Cincinnati Bengals have been wholly uninspiring this season. Their offense has taken a step back, but A.J. Green and Andy Dalton still strike fear in opponents. What’s been the most glaring issue, though, is the defense of the Bengals, particularly against the run. This was an area they excelled in not long ago, but that’s since dissipated. A lack of a star-caliber middle linebacker has been the primary issue in that regard, which is why Reuben Foster is the sensible choice with the 11th-overall pick.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/11/7...bama-tennessee

Reuben is a flat-out beast. Love the guy.

Fast, great tackler, very instinctive, and good in pass coverage. A seek and destroy kind of guy. He'd be a great add, and would really add a lot of athleticism at a need position. Not real big, but he's one of those guys that you can't take your eyes off of when he's on the field.

Totally still into this season, but linebacker is my top priority this off season. Dansby didn't work, Maualuga is getting up in years, and Burfict's knee means you just can't count on him long term... Also, seriously pissed he and Maualuga are friction' fat. That's such a lame, 90's Bengal lack of desire kind of move!

Mocking Barnett to the Bengals seems to be a popular option. I'm seeing it everywhere...no doubt due to the poor play of current starter Michael Johnson.

Fwiw I've been doing my homework on Barnett. Love the bio. Sounds like a humble hard working high character kid. As a player he's been good from the start and crazy consistent since. Three consecutive seasons with double digit sacks. In fact, he still has a chance to break Reggie White's team record for sacks.

Negatives? Same as they've been for more than a decade. At 267lbs Barnett doesn't fit the profile of a traditional Marvin Lewis era Bengal DE.

Any thoughts on Zach Cunningham of Vanderbilt? I see him ranked as a 1st rounder on some sites, but as low as a 5th rounder on others. Thought I'd check him out for myself this weekend. IMO he was a joy to watch. Reminded me a little of Brian Simmons. Best play was an outrageous blocked FGA where he timed the snap...hurdled the line...landed...recovered...lept to block the kick. Best part? The play was legal because Cunningham lept diagonally over the OG. Had he hurdled directly over the blocker it would have drawn a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Mocking Barnett to the Bengals seems to be a popular option. I'm seeing it everywhere...no doubt due to the poor play of current starter Michael Johnson.

Fwiw I've been doing my homework on Barnett. Love the bio. Sounds like a humble hard working high character kid. As a player he's been good from the start and crazy consistent since. Three consecutive seasons with double digit sacks. In fact, he still has a chance to break Reggie White's team record for sacks.

Negatives? Same as they've been for more than a decade. At 267lbs Barnett doesn't fit the profile of a traditional Marvin Lewis era Bengal DE.
    Have seen him several times... very good player who makes plays rushing and also in the run game. Has a good motor, too. He's not Myles Garrett from a size standpoint, but from what I've seen and read, he's likely a first round pick.

A guy I like that is taller/rangier and more typical of a Bengals' DL is Taco Charlton of Michigan. Good pass rusher, very explosive. He's not the player that Rashan Gary (DE, true freshman) is/will be, but I like his game.

There are a couple of interior guys who may also fit as 3-4 DEs in Jonathan Allen (Alabama) and Malik McDowell (Michigan St). Allen is likely a top 5 guy... super athletic. I doubt the Bengals would have a shot, but he would be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Any thoughts on Zach Cunningham of Vanderbilt? I see him ranked as a 1st rounder on some sites, but as low as a 5th rounder on others. Thought I'd check him out for myself this weekend. IMO he was a joy to watch. Reminded me a little of Brian Simmons. Best play was an outrageous blocked FGA where he timed the snap...hurdled the line...landed...recovered...lept to block the kick. Best part? The play was legal because Cunningham lept diagonally over the OG. Had he hurdled directly over the blocker it would have drawn a flag.
    Yep I saw that game, and that play. He was standing right in front of the kicker as he kicked it. Crazy.

Some people love him, some are mixed. He sure looks the part, and his athleticism jumps out at you. For a LB, I prefer Foster but Cunningham has a little more size to him.

If they go D line, I would like Barnett or Garrett to replace MJ and Vita Vea to replace Peko. If they go LB, Foster would be a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawgBengal View Post
    If they go D line, I would like Barnett or Garrett to replace MJ and Vita Vea to replace Peko. If they go LB, Foster would be a perfect fit.
    I agree with most observations though I have to say Jonathan Allen would be a beast inside as well, and he's the kind of guy that has the versatility they like. Of course, I'm lastly hoping that what "they like" is rendered moot because there will be a new "they" in town. I'll take a 6-3 DE with pop and burst and bend over a 6-5 "prototype" like MJ any day.

I like the idea of an athletic LB, but will the Bengals use a first round pick on one?

2 REALLY needs to be a center. I'm done with Bodine.

And I want at least 1 WR who can flat fly, and has decent route skills and hands.

Are there any kickers worth drafting?

I'm going to do my first pre-draft analysis in the next day or 2.