Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wild Card Weekend 2016 Thread

Blog Entries

The Wild Card Weekend 2016 Thread

It's time for the playoffs! 12 teams remain standing and by the time the games kick off next Saturday, that might be said of coaches too!! Firings are hot and heavy, but, let's move on to the games.

The weekend will start with:

Oakland at Houston: This has become an interesting game. 10 days ago, I would have said that the Raiders win in a blowout. Two days ago, I would have said the Raiders win less than a touchdown. But now, with the Raider offense looking lifeless against Denver and down to the third string QB, I'm calling the Texans to pull the upset and advance to the Divisional round.

The second game on Saturday is:

Detriot at Seattle: Did the Lions benefit by falling to the 6? Are they better off going to Seattle, which has not been Seattle this season, instead of hosting the Giants? I think so! As much as I like Seattle, I'm sticking with upset Saturday and picking the Lions in a close one.

Sunday brings us two very interesting games. We lead with:

Miami at Pittsburgh: The Steelers are the better team. They have the better QB, an elite WR in Brown, and the best player on the field for the game in Bell. However, Miami is playing well, and beat the Steelers 30-15 this season. I think that the Steelers win, but if they play sloppy, they'll go home a week early.

Finally, we end the weekend with:

New York at Green Bay: We've seen this before. In 2007, a Giants team with a cruddy offense and great defense come into Lambeau and win. In 2011, it happened again. And the third time will not be the charm. Once more, the Giants come in and beat the Packers.

Those are my picks. Who do you have?
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Houston
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    Green Bay

I have zero confidence in each pick, bu no confidence going the other way either.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

So you're saying that I get to take the team with the superior offensive line, the best pass rusher, and not Brock Osweiler and be contrarian? I love BOB and wonder how much better Houston would have been had ownership not forced Brock on them and instead let O'Brien roll with Savage from the beginning, but Oakland does not deserve the fate of one and done. There's no bigger shame for any team than having Carr go down. It's unfair-- They were too good this year. I'll take Latavius Murray to take advantage of a major snap/carry correction from the past couple of weeks and outplay Lamar Miller. Raiders over Texans

Can we get Jim Caldwell some coach of the year love? Yes he's a robot. Yes he has flaws. But this Lions team squeezed their way into the playoffs with a significantly compromised roster and a mangled QB, and managed to win 8 games by a TD or less. Yes they're running out of gas, as I'd expect, but winning close games is a product of good coaching and good QB play. Caldwell and Stafford deserve some love, and there's no way the Caldwell-bot deserves to be under fire. He's proving more now than he did in Indy that he's a quality NFL coach.

Seattle wins.

Miami will try (and succeed on some level) to pound Ajayi, but the Steelers will pull away in the 2nd half and cover the nearly 10 point spread.

So we have both Seattle and the Giants in the NFC bracket, and both are being underestimated? Don't be surprised when these are the last 2 left standing. I don't care if the Giants or Packers win, there's no way I can take a rookie QB against either team next week. But while ARod has been the best player in the league over the last month or so, the Giants are the more complete team, and Eli is ice in the postseason. Give me the Giants here, and they aren't done yet.

If you ask me to grab one team in the NFC at this point, I'd probably take Atlanta since they only need to win 2. But if I were a betting man and took this thing to Vegas, I'd split my bet in 2 ways and take both the Giants and Seahawks.

In the AFC, the Chiefs are one of those teams that will probably look good in a defeat. Give me Steelers-Pats all day long. The Pats have had their number, but it would be a major mistake to write off Ben, Brown, and Bell.

Lock me in for Steelers vs. Giants/Seahawks. Unless I have to choose just one team from the NFC. In that case, give me Pittsburgh-Atlanta.

(yes, I just set up the most hollow 'told-you-so' ever)
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

4. Chris Berman is stepping down at ESPN.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    Houston
    Seattle
    Miami
    Giants

Blog Entries
    Houston gets the ball first. They have a nice drive and end up punting on 3rd and 3ish from the Oakland 37. Why do you punt from the other teams 37 in a playoff game? Take the long FG or go for it. They pinned Oakland, but it seems to be a conservative call to me.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I was wrong! Sorry BoB! The Raiders 3 and out, the King shanks a punt. The Texans start around the Oakland 40!

Blog Entries
    Texans gain 8 yards on three plays. This time, they go for points and Novak make the kick. 3-0 Texans.

Blog Entries
    Oakland plays really conservative. On 3rd and long they try a screen. Clowney picks it, takes it to the 9 and Oakland is called for a personal foul. First and goal, Houston, from the 4.

Blog Entries
    One play drive. Miller sweeps left for the TD. 10-0 Houston. 6:16 left in the first. Oakland will have to let Cook run Carr's offense or they will lose.