Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Are YOU Watching - 2017

Yeah I don't think Barnett will run that fast, probably in the 4.6's. But from a production standpoint and a skill set standpoint and type of play, I think they're a decent match

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    YEah, and that's the freakish speed that I don't think Barnett comes within a mile of. If he ran a 4.6 he'd be a lock top 5 pick.
    I think a more accurate comp for Barnett is Terrell Suggs. Very productive in a strong conference. Doesn't test out as a great athlete, but is a helluva player. Doesn't have ideal size.

There's a lot more to pass rushing success than freakish athletic talent, although that sure helps. Hand usage, an array of moves/knowing how to set guys up, taking good angles to the QB, finishing, etc.

3. Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    I think a more accurate comp for Barnett is Terrell Suggs. Very productive in a strong conference. Doesn't test out as a great athlete, but is a helluva player. Doesn't have ideal size.

There's a lot more to pass rushing success than freakish athletic talent, although that sure helps. Hand usage, an array of moves/knowing how to set guys up, taking good angles to the QB, finishing, etc.
    I listened to a podcast recently that was very low on Barnett. Said that he was really good at jumping the snap and that was it. Wouldn't work out as well in the NFL for a limited athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    I listened to a podcast recently that was very low on Barnett. Said that he was really good at jumping the snap and that was it. Wouldn't work out as well in the NFL for a limited athlete.

Guess we will see but quite a few said that about Suggs, especially after his pretty awful workout... I think it was at his Pro Day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Guess we will see but quite a few said that about Suggs, especially after his pretty awful workout... I think it was at his Pro Day.
    I'll trust DJ and Bucky Brooks who think Barnett is the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft.

WR Josh Reynolds, Texas A&M

Watched: 2016: Kansas State, LSU, Aurburn, South Carolina, 2015: Louisville

I think it was Tex who compared him to Chris Henry. I don't think that's a crazy comparison. He's more polished than Henry was though. You'd want him to add some bulk, but he's got the frame for it. He'd be a great complement to AJ. I think someone else mentioned Marvin Jones. Reynolds is taller, Jones thicker and stronger. Comparable speed, Reynolds IMO has a higher ceiling. IMO he's a better deep ball guy than Jones, and Jones was a pretty darn good one.

He's got size, speed and is an excellent jump ball receiver. Played multiple outside spots for A&M. Has fringe #1 WR potential IMO. Not a stud blocker, but more than willing. The Bengals covet that. Talks a little too much though.

Measured in this week at 6'3" 194lbs, 4.52 40. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger at #41, and I'm a guy who's already comfortable if we went into the season with Lafell/Boyd as 2/3.

Side note: I know he's a big name, but Trevor Knight is a very average QB. Reynolds would have put up bigger numbers witha better QB.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 03-05-2017 at 12:27 PM.

WR John Ross, Washington

Watched: 2016: Oregon, USC, Colorado, Standford, Arizona State, Idaho

I'll start by saying that I'd be hesitant on using a top 15-20 pick on a guy of his size, even if he had absolutely blown me away.

He's certainly got the speed, he's proven that this weekend. The biggest thing that stands out to you is that teams respect his speed and give him a lot of off coverage on the line, allowing him to rack up free short passes. I don't say that as a bad thing, it's obviously a very beneficial thing.

He's obviously got the speed to get open deep, but I don't know how well he is as a contested ball catcher, which let's face it you're going to need to be able to do at the next level.

Seems like a very good route runner. Quick twitch. Not much of a blocker, Bengals won't likely like that. Can't really judge him as a returner. He didn't do anything in the 5 or 6 returns I saw, but that could be the result of the blocking. Saw him run 4 reverses. Surprisingly, only one gained positive yardage, but again blocking by his teammates plays a big part.

I'll ask this, is he a better prospect than Brandin Cooks? Cooks was a mid'20's pick, similar size and speed, and the Saint's are already trying to trade him even though he's had a pretty good career thus far, and have a QB who matches up well with his skill set.

I dunno, he could end up being Desean Jackson without the baggage. I just personally wouldn't use a top 10 pick on a 5'11" WR.

NFL.com compares Reynolds to Marvin Jones as well:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...lds?id=2558194

LB Hasaan Reddick, Temple

Watched: 2016: Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida 2015: Notre Dame

I uhhh,, is there better tape out there? He's obviously a great athlete, but I'm not seeing the production, and he's playing again lower level competition.

Even though he spends the majority of his time lined up on the LOS, he's very clearly not a DE at the next level, nor IMO a 3-4 OLB. He's not really a pass rusher, at least not one with developed moves. Struggles to shed blocks, at least lined up on the LOS. Prone to taking bad angles which lead to missed tackles in space.

Had a number of nice plays vs Memphis, but also Memphis scored two long touchdown runs on plays he was supposed to have outside contain.

I dunno, I wouldn't feel good about him at 9 at all. He spent a lot of time lined up on the LOS in a 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB role, but he's not that in the NFL IMO. He's clearly a LB, but from what I could find, lacks experience at the position, so he's certainly a project at LB.

I can't recall which recent first rounder he reminds me of, but IMO he's much more athlete than polished LB at this point.

OT Taylor Moton, Western Michigan

watched: Wisconsin, 2016

Probably could have watched more but there there isn't much out there. Plus, if you watch him make TJ Watt his ***** for 4 quarters, do you really need to watch more?

Have no clue if he can play LT in the NFL but I think he can be a day 1 starter at RT. May have a little trouble with speed but not detrimental. I watched him handle two very good spin moves effortlessly.

Has good power and agree with others that he could play some RG.

He's not as athletic, but reminds you a little of Levi Jones in body and technique.