Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Who Are YOU Watching - 2017

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    RB Dalvin Cook, Florida State

Watched: 2016 - Louisville, Miami, Clemson, Michigan

The first thing that jumps out to me is how Florida State used him as a receiver. Not just out of the backfield, but lined up as a WR. And not in the slot. They lined him up outside and were throwing him go routes.

Isn't likely to be considered a power back ever, but has good, not elite, power. Has the ability to make guys miss consistently. Will break tackles by slipping out of them, though not much by power.

A legitimate threat to take it to the house anytime he gets into open space. Very good vision, adept at cutting back and taking angles to beat guys.

A willing blocker, but not a good one. Easily the worst part of his game. Good hands. In the 4 games I watched, 1 fumble and 1 dropped pass (got caught looking downfield).

I haven't watched Fournette so I can't compare them, but you have to wonder if Dalvin Cook might be a better fit for the Bengals due to the uncertainty with the Oline. Cook likely can make more out of nothing of the two.

I certainly think he could be in play at #9, but to take a RB that high, especially one like Cook, you have to commit to using his skills in the passing game effectively.
    Cook legitimately might be there in the 2nd for us. No RB with his athletic profile, and it's really really bad, has went in the first. Big time analysts saying he is likely to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Lots of talent - has a great burst. As others have noted he's had some fumbling issues in the past.

Has had a few run-ins off-field but I don't believe he was convicted of anything.
    Boy, running backs with fumbling issues spook me. Every runner will fumble from time to time, but guys with problems have to be fixed... then have to be fixed again after an inevitable fumble in the future.

DE Taco Charlton

Watched: 2016, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, Wisconsin

the athleticism and potential is certainly there but he hasn't come close to realizing it.

Not good against the run. Arguably a liability. Especially in edge contain.

You can tell when he's going full speed and when he isn't. Unfortunately that's usually only 70% of the time.

Taking him at 9, you'd be betting on his potential. Not what he's shown so far.

he could be another Dunlap, or another Manny Lawson.

Blog Entries
    DE Taco Charlton

Watched: 2016, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, Wisconsin

the athleticism and potential is certainly there but he hasn't come close to realizing it.

Not good against the run. Arguably a liability. Especially in edge contain.

You can tell when he's going full speed and when he isn't. Unfortunately that's usually only 70% of the time.

Taking him at 9, you'd be betting on his potential. Not what he's shown so far.

he could be another Dunlap, or another Manny Lawson.
    Is he really that athletic tho? His combine numbers don't show it.
    Last edited by tubbs1518; 03-20-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Interesting re: running backs in this draft. Was watching the NFLN with Brooks and Jeremiah and they were praising the RB depth this year. Jeremiah stated that guys like Joe Williams were likely 4-5 round guys this year, and he rated them higher than Jordan Howard, who was one of rushing leading rushers in the NFL (as a rookie) last year.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    Is he really that athletic tho? His combine numbers don't show it.

athleticism isn't all about numbers. The tape tells all.

he's got great size, very good strength. A good spin move when he actually uses it. Very good closing speed. The athleticism is there, he just doesn't turn it on full speed enough. Exactly what scouts are saying.

athleticism isn't all about numbers. The tape tells all.

he's got great size, very good strength. A good spin move when he actually uses it. Very good closing speed. The athleticism is there, he just doesn't turn it on full speed enough. Exactly what scouts are saying.
    His athleticism is above average for an Edge-rusher too, though. He's not quite the athlete that Daeshon Hall or Detrich Wise are at similar height/weight, but he does have that spin move which is very quick and the other guys lack.

WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan

Watched: 2016 - Wisconsin, Georgia Southern, 2015 - Michigan St.

You see the Terrell Owens comparison he's been getting right away with the first play. Not sure if he's quite the prospect TO was, but I only remember TO in his prime.

Davis has great upper body strength and consistently uses it well to fight through jams from DB's. Also uses that strength to be a very good WR.

A versatile WR who lines up in every spot in the formation.

I do have a slight concern about how he'll fare against press man coverage. He didn't see a lot of it in the games I watched, as a point of respect from DB's, but when he did get it, he didn't always get consistent separation. I think he'll be challenged with that at the next level. He doesn't have elite speed, and while he's a very good route runner, he didn't get consistent separation from his route running alone. On the bright side, he's very good with contested catches.

IMO he's somewhere between TO and Sanu, but closer to a TO than a Sanu as a prospect.

I still don't want a WR at #9, but Davis isn't a pick that would make me upset.

DE/LB TJ Watt, Wisconsin

Watched: 2016: Ohio State, Michigan State, LSU

Bigger than he looks on film. First thing I noticed is he's very disciplined, especially in the run game.

Needs to get stronger if he's going to be a full time DE, but I think he can do that. Doesn't have elite burst, but has enough speed and agility that he can be a pretty good rusher if he develops an array of moves. He doesn't have the speed to consistently get to the QB just on speed alone. If he gets stronger he can be a guy who can have a swim, spin, bull rush, and dip moves. He needs more power to hold up on the bull rush and swim moves though.

Has his brother's motor.

IMO he's better than Taco Charlton right now, but Taco has far more upside. Watt's game will be more will and determination at the next level than elite skills.

Just watched Barnett vs Alabama and a highlight video. I still want to see his 40 time at his pro day next week, but I am warming to him at 9.

I liked his motor, even when Bama was out of reach. Delivered some big hits but at times was effectively blocked by a TE.