Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things AFC North, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Big Jen in a boot. Cue excuse should he suck in KC.
    He almost died.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    He almost died.
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Big Ben pass out at 31 Flavors last night.... I guess it's pretty serious.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    In other words, they are going to draft Myles Garret #1 overall and know they should build a 4-3 scheme around a building block like that.
    Not just Garrett. The Browns have been drafting 4-3 D-lineman and converting them to 3-4 OLBs for years, including two guys that I recently pimped hard, Nate Orchard and Emmanuel Ogbah. Both have flashed but it's easy to assume their development has been slowed, especially Orchard who despite being undersized from the start was asked to drop additional weight. They also drafted Carl Nassib, another 4-3 type I pimped, but to my knowledge haven't jerked him around as much. I also think Danny Shelton, who improved this season, would be even better playing with a bookend at DT.

Point being, the Browns already have a group of young 4-3 DEs who were playing out of position and out of type. So a switch to a 4-3 not only makes sense if the Browns wanted to draft Garrett OR pass on him to take another player, like a QB. I also think it makes sense to switch to a 4-3 if they believe they can retain Jamie Collins. That's a building block they can ill afford to lose.

Last, I think it makes sense form a coaching standpoint as well. Ray Horton isn't the DC that Greg Williams is, and if Horton now hears a who and makes his way to Cincy I hope it's only in a minor role.

CincyJungle retweeted a story that there has been some sort of altercation with a cop this evening, and Joey Porter was seen cuffed, placed in a police cruiser, and driven off... Couldn't happen to a more deserving d-bag.

Joey Porter arrested after reported altercation with police

Posted by Josh Alper on January 8, 2017, 10:35 PM EST

The Steelers beat the Dolphins on Sunday afternoon, but the rest of the day doesn’t appear to have gone as well for their outside linebackers coach Joey Porter.

Chris Mueller of the Beaver County Times reports that Porter was handcuffed and placed in the back seat of a police car outside of a bar in the Southside area of Pittsburgh on Sunday evening. Mueller reports that Porter was handcuffed following an altercation with a police officer.

CBS Pittsburgh confirmed with Pittsburgh Public Safety spokesperson Sonya Toler that Porter has been arrested.

“We are aware of an incident tonight involving Joey Porter,” Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said, via Mueller. “We are still gathering information as it pertains to the situation, and we will have no further comment until we get more details.”

Porter is in his third year as a Steelers coach and played eight years for the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-with-police/

Charged with assault, public intoxication, resisting arrest, and...(wait for it)....making terrorist threats.

Suddenly it feels like Pacman is an underachiever.

Ryan Clark on Mike and Mike admitting Ben is a drama queen. Even goes so far as to imply that he is a hypochondriac.

Got in the car today, and turned on NFL Radio. The conversation was about poor Bud Dupree getting a bum rep because Matt Moore ducked... I turned off the radio and drove in silence.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Got in the car today, and turned on NFL Radio. The conversation was about poor Bud Dupree getting a bum rep because Matt Moore ducked... I turned off the radio and drove in silence.
    I love Bud Dupree and I grew up watching a version of the NFL where those types of hits were celebrated rather than vilified. That said, it isn't fair competition if one team is allowed to play differently than another. And to the point above, the hit on Moore that has everyone outraged today was the second helmet to helmet hit Dupree laid on Moore.

It should also be noted how Dupree didn't have a dirty reputation in college, and he wasn't the only Steeler player guilty of dirty play yesterday. In fact, it occurs so often and involves so many players it has to be a direct result of coaching. Steeler players were involved in so much after the whistle hitting and pushing their coaching staff should be reprimanded.

As for the media, IMO it's a disservice to refer to Steeler football as chippy, as a sideline reporter did yesterday, or the natural result of an increase in intensity. Let's call it what it is. It's dirty and I believe it's rooted in the Steeler coaching staffs knowledge that refs won't slow any game down by calling 30 penalties in a game, especially a playoff game.

Much like the Patriots coaching staff knew refs wouldn't call pass interference over and over again when that team played the Rams in the Super Bowl years ago. Patriot players have since admitted how that teams game plan was built around deliberately grabbing and interfering Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce on nearly every play in the belief that refs would swallow their whistles. Well, it worked, just as dirty football has always worked for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I love Bud Dupree and I grew up watching a version of the NFL where those types of hits were celebrated rather than vilified. That said, it isn't fair competition if one team is allowed to play differently than another. And to the point above, the hit on Moore that has everyone outraged today was the second helmet to helmet hit Dupree laid on Moore.

It should also be noted how Dupree didn't have a dirty reputation in college, and he wasn't the only Steeler player guilty of dirty play yesterday. In fact, it occurs so often and involves so many players it has to be a direct result of coaching. Steeler players were involved in so much after the whistle hitting and pushing their coaching staff should be reprimanded.

As for the media, IMO it's a disservice to refer to Steeler football as chippy, as a sideline reporter did yesterday, or the natural result of an increase in intensity. Let's call it what it is. It's dirty and I believe it's rooted in the Steeler coaching staffs knowledge that refs won't slow any game down by calling 30 penalties in a game, especially a playoff game.

Much like the Patriots coaching staff knew refs wouldn't call pass interference over and over again when that team played the Rams in the Super Bowl years ago. Patriot players have since admitted how that teams game plan was built around deliberately grabbing and interfering Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce on nearly every play in the belief that refs would swallow their whistles. Well, it worked, just as dirty football has always worked for the Steelers.

it's absolutely coaching. And I'm not speaking so much in that the coaches are teaching them to be dirty, but I'm talking personality and demeanor.

For example, go watch how guys like Antonio Brown and Ryan Shazier act now compared to how they acted in college. There's a stark difference.