Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things AFC North, 2017

All Things AFC North, 2017

Gregg Williams accepts Browns defensive coordinator job

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2017, 10:23 PM EST

Gregg Williams is heading to Cleveland.

The Browns have fired defensive coordinator Ray Horton and reached an agreement with Williams to take his place, according to multiple reports.

Williams spent the last three seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Rams. He has previously served as a defensive coordinator for Tennessee, Washington and New Orleans, where he was suspended for a year as the central figure in the team’s bounty scandal. He was also a head coach with the Bills.

Horton and Williams have fundamentally different defensive schemes, which suggests that the Browns will also be making some more changes on their defensive coaching staff, and some personnel changes as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ordinator-job/

Crap. Now we'll have Steelers AND Browns headhunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bengal View Post
    Horton and Williams have fundamentally different defensive schemes, which suggests that the Browns will also be making some more changes on their defensive coaching staff, and some personnel changes as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ordinator-job/
    In other words, they are going to draft Myles Garret #1 overall and know they should build a 4-3 scheme around a building block like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Crap. Now we'll have Steelers AND Browns headhunting.
    The Browns will "affect the knee" while sitting on their "assy, assy, assies."

been at the movies. I'm guessing the steelers are up to stuff again?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Bengals weren't the problem last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

No idea, but it's the Steelers... so yes. I've been glancing at NFL.com throughout the day

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

Dupree had a nasty hit to the head on Matt Moore. No idea how Moore could come back. Also a lot of little cheap shots here and there.
    Last edited by BigDawgBengal; 01-08-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Per the Steelers...

Bud Dupree got a clean full speed shot at Matt Moore and blasted him in the chin. Moore remained on the ground so long I had to remind myself I wasn't watching the end of the movie Heaven Can Wait.

Then a bit later Mike Mitchell went head to head with his teammate Russ Cockrell. The friendly fire occurred when the Dolphin receiver ducked under Mitchell's latest head hunting expedition. For an uncomfortable amount of time Cockrell lay unmoving on the field while doing that thing where his arm is frozen in an upraised position. Scary stuff.

Last, the Steelers have been doing the "Play thru the whistle" extracurricular stuff after nearly every play, both on offense and defense. Of course the announcers describe it all as chippy instead of dirty.

More...

I should have noted how the play where Dupree goes helmet-to-helmet with Moore was the 2nd of the day. Dupree also hit Moore on the chin earlier but not as blatantly. Didn't get a running start but still was guilty of rising up and targeting with the crown of the helmet. Looked pretty close to the play in USCs bowl game where the Trojan LB was ejected. I should also note how Dupree is having a great game, dirty play or not.

Also, a Steeler WR #17 (Rogers?) went helmet to helmet...from behind...on a Dolphin DB. Hit him so hard his mouthpiece flew 10 yards. Refs actually called the blindside block penalty for once, probably because the mouthpiece flew so far the call could be seen by fans sitting in the upper deck.
    Last edited by HOF; 01-08-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Big Jen in a boot. Cue excuse should he suck in KC.