Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Notes

Start of training camp is last I heard.

I've been cruising through the off season in FC Cincinnati mode, which has been great these last two summers. Waiting for the Bengals always blows, and I've just never been a baseball guy.

Anyway, the cool bit is that Carlos Dunlap has been cruising through the off season supporting FC Cincinnati as well. He and his son go to a bunch of the games. He wears an FCC jersey with his name and number on the back, and his son wears a Dunlap football jersey. I've seen them a few times, and they were at the Miami game that got rained out.

Cool side note: after the Miami game got rained out, Jeff Berding and Carl Lindner III rallied all the fans who traveled to the game to a nearby bar, and bought them all beer to thank them for coming. They're also organizing a meet and greet with the team here in town for those fans as a further thank you for their huge support. That's pretty effing cool!

Love what FC is doing. Hoping they can beat Miami. If they do, I think I'll try to catch that next cup match that is being hosted in Cincy.

OT: Carlos has a son?

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Pretty cool re Carlos. I'm sure that Watt would have been the lead dog had he not been hurt, but those are impressive numbers.
    Watt probably deserves the hype he gets but I've always felt Dunlap was underappreciated even by Bengal fans. He's my favorite player, bar none, and IMO the closer you watch the more impressed you'll be.

For just one example, I recently wrote about a NFL Live segment showing how Dunlap had more QB pressures than sack leaders Vic Beasly and Von Miller. As noted by the NFL Live staff, both of those players are moved around the DL or shifted to LB to confuse and defeat blocking schemes. By comparison, Dunlap almost always lines up in the same LDE spot or kicked inside one spot to make room for the now departed Gillberry on 3rd down. Point being, Dunlap is never unblocked and unlike Von Miller rarely faces a blocker who is more than a few feet away. Complicating things even further...whenever Dunlap does break into the backfield he frequently has to defeat a chipping RB before getting a clean shot at the QB.

Last, save for Ziggy Ansah in Detroit it's tough to think of an elite DE who works with a poorer bookend than Dunlap's partner, Michael Johnson. Hopefully Carl Lawson can push MJ to the curb sooner than most expect, and I actually think he can if paired in a platoon with the larger Will Clarke. Sadly, with all of the talk about using Lawson as a LB I'm not sure that's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Love what FC is doing. Hoping they can beat Miami. If they do, I think I'll try to catch that next cup match that is being hosted in Cincy.

OT: Carlos has a son?
    ...that was actually just an assumption of mine... Son? Nephew? Young cousin? Little brother? Friend's kid?

James Rapien Retweeted Pro Football Focus
    AJ Green missed six games and the Bengals couldn't run the ball. I'm shocked he's second on this list.

I think this was already posted, but it popped up on my feed today.