Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Orange n Black View Post
    Looking ahead to the internal extensions that usually drop late spring/early summer. 2018 FAs are usually the guys that get these. IMO...

Definitely: Burfict, Eifert (5th year option, long term deal 2018 offseason)
    Pretty Likely: Huber, Clark Harris
    Maybe: Will Clarke, Bodine

The rest of em probably walk.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with both Burfict and Eifert. Injuries spook me with both of them. It's part of why I'm high on the idea of Foster, and a TE in this draft.

I believe Burfict has put the worst of his dumb play behind him. However, I just don't know how comfortable I would be going "all-in" on a huge contract with his knee and head injury history. I wouldn't be shocked if the sticking point on these contract talks is length of contract. I would guess the Bengals are willing to pay him well, but not willing to commit to a loooong contract.

Eifert is the other tricky situation. He's dynamic on the field, but what contract do you offer a guy who's missed 27-ish games over the last 3 seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    Bodine earns top performance based bonus for 2nd consecutive year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFowlerES...26388249387014

He was horrible (as were most of them) weeks 1-4 but definitely improved as the season went on.
    Bodine did improve for sure. But his low shotgun snaps are still a common occurrence and given how bad pass pro was last year... and given that Dalton is a rhythm passer who gets the ball out quickly, that aspect of Jethro's game needs to get better this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with both Burfict and Eifert. Injuries spook me with both of them. It's part of why I'm high on the idea of Foster, and a TE in this draft.

I believe Burfict has put the worst of his dumb play behind him. However, I just don't know how comfortable I would be going "all-in" on a huge contract with his knee and head injury history. I wouldn't be shocked if the sticking point on these contract talks is length of contract. I would guess the Bengals are willing to pay him well, but not willing to commit to a loooong contract.

Eifert is the other tricky situation. He's dynamic on the field, but what contract do you offer a guy who's missed 27-ish games over the last 3 seasons?
    It is the elephant in the room, especially given that each of those guys is arguably the biggest difference maker on their side of the ball when healthy.

As I do every year, I'm hoping Burfict used this off-season to really lose some weight and get in great shape. Take some weight off of that knee, but also get his body ready for the long haul. He took a shorter contract last time around, betting that he'd have the chance to get one more long one and cash in before it was all over. If he came in with a transformed body this year, it'd go a long way toward making me feel better about his longer prospects. But the concussions are a wild card, for sure.

As for Eifert, if you're looking for a possible replacement, you couldn't have asked for a better draft. IMO, one argument for shoring up needs like WR or LB or OL in this FA is so that you can simply be freed up to exploit the drafts strengths. Even though I haven't advocated anything like it this year, a draft that looked like this:

1) Reuben Foster
    2) David Njoku
    3) Taylor Moton
    4) Joe Mixon
    4) Deatrich Wise

Would make me very, very happy.

1) OJ Howard
    2) Hasson Reddick

Yeah, maybe a little trading down to move up in those. But you can still see that if we hit on the right mix of picks, we would be an instantly improved team (legit contender, imo (with the huge caveat of OL chemistry) that was also primed for future FA uncertainty.

4. IMO (just speculating) Marvin is the X factor for Burfict. He'll get paid, no doubt, but I think he wants to play for Marvin and I think the team will be able to get a reasonable deal for him because of that. His injury problems are a concern (and that'll probably factor into his deal) but the guy is just too much of a difference maker to let go.

Eifert I'm 99% sure gets the 5th year tag, so they get one more season to really evaluate him. If he has a good year, it's a no brainer. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a TE picked as a hedge.
    ORANGE n BLACK

My take on the extensions:

I see Burfict as the top priority. I'd hope the injury stuff buys a little bit of a discount on the long-term deal. But to me the risk/reward is very much in favor of getting a deal done with him this summer. We're seeing these top ILBs getting $12-13M a year now and with the cap continuing to go up, Burfict could get paid in a big way next spring as a 27-year old unrestricted FA who can add some serious toughness and swagger to some defense lacking an identity. A team like the Browns is going to have $60M or something again in FA next year with nobody on their own team to pay.

Eifert's had an even tougher time staying healthy and the Bengals have a nice ace in the hole in terms of keeping him for 2018, which is a very affordable franchise tag number for tight ends. So it makes sense to let him play out 2017 and prove he can put together a healthy season. Then talk long-term deal with him next spring knowing that even if you can't get a deal done next spring, you still have that cheap franchise tag.

Bengals UK@WhoDey_UK 6h6 hours agoMore

Congratulations to @andydalton14 & @jjdalton5 on the birth of their second child Nash Gordon! #whodey #Bengals #dalton

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Bengals UK@WhoDey_UK 6h6 hours agoMore

Congratulations to @andydalton14 & @jjdalton5 on the birth of their second child Nash Gordon! #whodey #Bengals #dalton

Noah and Nash.

Four letters, both starting with 'N". Nice.

Sounds like the owners will approve Oaklands move to Las Vegas today

I'm a little surprised Ram owner Stan Kroenke has embraced the move. The Raiders still have a huge fanbase in Los Angeles that won't think twice about making the drive to Vegas and some think the Raiders in Vegas will be stronger competition for the local LA area fanbase than the Chargers, a team he'll share a stadium with.

I saw it was voted 31-1... I assume you know who was the one.