Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Talk 2017 Part 3

Worth a read, and don't forget to click on the first link to the primer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/c...e_class_based/

Here's an interesting quote from this. Basically, my favorite Bengal is once again the exception to the rule:

Players who fail both checks - the only drafted edge rushers since 2003 to fail both checks and still manage 20+ sacks on their rookie contracts have been Carlos Dunlap, Jabaal Sheard, and Ray Edwards:

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Bob McGinn with some latest scout quotes:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...look/98698342/
    This is a good read, thanks. McGinn is a good Twitter follow, as he seems to be plugged in.

Interesting about Budda Baker - really like him. Smallish frame but really physical player. Reminds me a bit of a defensive Tyler Lockett in that he isn't big, but he makes a lot of plays. A winner.

Worth a read, and don't forget to click on the first link to the primer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/c...e_class_based/
    It's nice to find a simple breakdown which takes into account the things I've long briefly looked at for my DEs: Broad and 3-cone. The harvard correlation suggests weight is really important for 4-3 DEs.

It's worth noting that Deatrich Wise is one month too old from being one of the guys who check off all boxes.
    Jordan Willis Similarly misses the mark because he is 1/4 of an inch too short.
    Derek Rivers is 3/8 of an inch too short (and also mistakenly designated as a 3-4 OLB here), but he's actually going to be 24 starting the season.

So it's pretty clear when you cross this with Waldo, as well as the Harvard correlation, that your least risky picks are:

Garrett
    Hall
    Hendrickson
    Watt
    Willis
    Wise

Then Thomas and Barnett. Thomas because he's short, and Barnett because he's a little short, but also because he tested sick, so I suspect he'll post better numbers (even though he still qualifies as a lower risk player).

So, thinking of possible trades for McCarron, where are the possible destinations now that FA is basically underway.

Bill are keeping Tyrod Taylor.
    Hoyer is going to the 49ers.
    Romo is likely to go Denver, right?
    Glennon to CHI?

Who does that leave?

CLE, NYJ, ARI?

I really don't think AJ is going anywhere.

Seems like everyone is ticketing Romo to Denver... Texans might be a player, but didn't they guarantee a ton to Brock?

IMO Cleveland was always the most likely destination, but only if two dominos were played first. First, they'd have to miss out on their 1st choice, Garappolo, and they may or may not have happened already. Next, they'd have to miss out on Taylor, their 2nd choice. Only then could I imagine the Browns turning to McCarron, who btw May Kay Cabot actually confirmed was their 3rd choice about a month ago. Also of some note, she says if the Browns miss out on their two preferred choices they will make a trade offer for McCarron.

Odds were never good there will be a trade, but if it is going to happen I'd say things have fallen perfectly. That said, the thing most likely to derail any trade going forward is if Cleveland really is willing to offer the 12th overall pick and an additional mid rounder, as rumored. It's a ridiculous amount to give up for Garappolo, but Cleveland has to do something to convince New England to trade away an established backup QB from the defending champions. Because, just like in Cincy, there's very little motivation for them to trade unless it's a 1-sided deal. That's just the way it is. Best, any team thinking of trading a QB to the Browns knows they're flush with draft picks.

A bunch more new scout quotes in the third post of in the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...583912&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    I really don't think AJ is going anywhere.

Seems like everyone is ticketing Romo to Denver... Texans might be a player, but didn't they guarantee a ton to Brock?
    Betting odds today had Denver as slight favorite over Houston with everyone else as long shots.

Brock's salary is basically guaranteed this year, but they have to treat it as a sunk cost and almost irrelevant on Romo. It should come down to whether they want to spend their available cap space on Romo or somebody like AJ Bouye instead.

A bunch more new scout quotes in the third post of in the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...583912&start=0

I've got to admit the quotes that question Dan Feeney based upon his concussion history are troubling.