Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Talk 2017 Part 3

Depressingly, it's safe to say that our draft just got re-ordered.

More depressingly, the scout quotes just posted point out that Garrett Bolles, the #1 T on many boards, woudln't even be a first rounder in normal years.

Bengals screwed the pooch on this one, and it starts with the talent evaluation of their worst assistant coach. He can't pick 'em, and even when he spends first rounders on him, they regress under him.

I could almost stomach Marvin coming back one more year but when they didn't dump Paul Alexander, I knew this was a season of no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Depressingly, it's safe to say that our draft just got re-ordered.

More depressingly, the scout quotes just posted point out that Garrett Bolles, the #1 T on many boards, woudln't even be a first rounder in normal years.

Bengals screwed the pooch on this one, and it starts with the talent evaluation of their worst assistant coach. He can't pick 'em, and even when he spends first rounders on him, they regress under him.

I could almost stomach Marvin coming back one more year but when they didn't dump Paul Alexander, I knew this was a season of no hope.
    agree 100% on Alexander

I predict that all 11-13 draft picks will make the roster.

So the occasionally quoted Matt Miller did an AMA on reddit today. Browsing, here's what stands out to me the most:

Most underrated player in draft: I really, really, really like Trey Hendrickson from FAU. Think he can be an NFL starter as a defensive end.

I agree, Matt. He didn't play at Georgia and won't be picked #17 overall, but I see a lot of David Pollack in his game. Pollack had more agility, though.

Biggest chance to bust in the top 15: I think it's Dalvin Cook. Fumbles, injuries and off-field are all concerns.

Paul Magloire from Arizona. Former QB-turned-LB. Thought he should have been invited to the Senior Bowl and Combine. Really good range, good kid. Just like watching him play.

David Jones at Richmond is a fun prospect. Not invited to the combine, but I think he'll have a chance to get drafted late and make a roster.

Poor combine + fumbles + injuries + off-field for Dalvin (here comes #FSUTwitter...) concerns the hell out of me. He's my No. 4 RB (Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey, Cook) and it wouldn't surprise me if he falls to Round 2.

I like Watt, but I'm a little perplexed by the recent love for him. He's only played defense for a limited time, so there's huge potential there, but I'd look at someone like Takk as a better fit opposite Bud Dupree. Just me, though.
    As mentioned above, I'm not as in love with Obi. He would definitely have a shot to be that Keanu Neal-type safety if you want that type at SS though.

I have Derek Rivers in the late 3rd round range. Don't think he'll be a top 50 pick in a really deep EDGE class.

Developmental tackle, asked by a Rams fan: I like Antonio Garcia as a developmental guy, but not sure he'll last that long. Julien Davenport from Bucknell would be a nice project, but he's not ready to see the field just yet so you could build him up behind Whit.

Jonathan Allen Shoulder: It really depends on what teams find in the MRIs done at the combine. It may not be a long-term risk, but it may also be something where teams are afraid it'll affect his play right now and in the future. I still think mid-first round is his floor.

Mixon: First round player, all the way, based on film.
    Part of my job is trying to learn as much as I can about guys off the field—whether that's injuries or off-field or whatever. So that plays into it. In my background info on him, I haven't found anyone who says he's a bad person. He had the obvious incident in 2014 (that was awful, disgusting and something I hate) but since then nothing that points to him being a risk off the field.
    In a perfect world, we'd draft players with no off-field issues, but we don't live in that world. So you try to limit risk.

I don't think the combine issue makes Foster fall at all. Still a top 10 pick.
    I think Lattimore could slip just a little, but is still a top 15 pick.

Just for fun I went back and put in David Pollack into Waldo.

I remember his agility numbers were ridiculous, but he scored the best I've ever seen in twitch: .62. Next closest player (in the 6-7 years Ive been following): Nick Vigil

quote:

Rudy Ford, the most underrated prospect in the draft, just ran 4.25 at Auburn Pro Day, 4 days after he was told he wasn't healthy at combine

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    So the occasionally quoted Matt Miller did an AMA on reddit today. Browsing, here's what stands out to me the most:
    I can't say I disagreed with much of that. Hendrickson and Rivers were two of the most impressive performers at the combine IMO. And I've been saying for weeks I don't want Dalvin Cook, mostly because of the fumbling. Mixon would be off my board altogether. Not really impressed by those who claim to hate something they're all too quick to rationalize. Seriously, how hard can it be to find a productive RB who doesn't stalk gays or punch women and parking lot attendants? The concept of a developmental OT seems attractive, but I thought Garcia was one of the least impressive blockers at the Senior Bowl and combine. And you can put me in the camp that likes but doesn't love TJ Watt. I don't see the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I can't say I disagreed with much of that. Hendrickson and Rivers were two of the most impressive performers at the combine IMO. And I've been saying for weeks I don't want Dalvin Cook, mostly because of the fumbling. Mixon would be off my board altogether. Not really impressed by those who claim to hate something they're all too quick to rationalize. Seriously, how hard can it be to find a productive RB who doesn't stalk gays or punch women and parking lot attendants? The concept of a developmental OT seems attractive, but I thought Garcia was one of the least impressive blockers at the Senior Bowl and combine. And you can put me in the camp that likes but doesn't love TJ Watt. I don't see the fit.
    I think he'd be a great SLB.

Sooooo....There isn't much of a way to talk about possible future draft plans without suddenly and completely acknowledging that OT needs to be a high priority. Even if you are naive enough to think that Fisher and Oh-boy (yes, my new pet name) are adequate, we have zero depth behind them, at arguable the second most important position on offense, if not the team.

Problem is, there are no OTs worth top 10 picks, possibly even top 20. IMO, it's looking more and more like we need to trade down...and we need to take whatever we can get to do so. I'd prefer trading down 10 spots and netting a high second or future late 1st/early second, or even a third and a fourth...but at this point, we are being forced into a drafting for need situation. I just don't see how you can once again go into the year armed with nothing but wishful thinking -- especially after that strategy was already employed and blew up in your face (with the same guys, no less).

At this point, I'd have to say both Ramcyck and Robinson are the top two players that we are going to have to target. Hopefully, Oghebui will prove adept at playing Guard, but I'll console myself with the hope that, although it was in a year where we had a chance to nab a truly elite player, we may still get the chance to solidify our OL for the foreseeable future with a top available OT and (later) a top Guard (I'm coming around to Dorian Johnson, as well as Lamp, Dawkins, Moton, Siragusa, Asiata. I wouldn't even be opposed to taking two.

Ideally we can get a high second rounder, even late first, and we simply will be having to flip-flop what I expected our draft order would be (playmaker, followed by OL in second). The strength in the draft is in the second round, so it won't be that much of a booby prize. But of course, it will still be a booby prize, and we should all focus our blame on Paul Alexander and work outward to Marvin Lewis and then Mike Brown from there.

TJ Watt is all potential, and therefore a big risk. There's no denying that his athleticism is top 3 in the draft, and portends huge upside. I just can't get over how stiff he looks on tape, which is crazy when you consider how good his agility numbers were. They also played a bit of a weird system there at Wisconsin, which makes it even harder to project.