Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Combine

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I just haven't been able to follow football as I used to. Could someone tell me why Mississippi players were uninvited to the Combine (some passing mention of it on PFT)?
    Both Stringfellow and Kelly have had off-field incidents that involve some sort of criminal activity. The NFL has a new policy as of this year that if you have various offenses, including assault, domestic or sexual violence, gun possession etc, that you aren't invited.

Re Ole Miss program, they basically got the one-year mea culpa where they pled guilty to the "poor institutional control" of their program and they got a one-year suspension. So no bowl game, losing some scholarships (10 over several years), some limitations on recruiting, and a few other things.

And, they have to change the pet name of the school from Ole Miss to "Ole Amiss" for one year. (Boom!)

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Re Ole Miss program, they basically got the one-year mea culpa where they pled guilty to the "poor institutional control" of their program and they got a one-year suspension. So no bowl game, losing some scholarships (10 over several years), some limitations on recruiting, and a few other things.

And, they have to change the pet name of the school from Ole Miss to "Ole Amiss" for one year. (Boom!)
    I think they're going to end up getting hammered. They self imposed some penalties, but are disputing the most serious charges made by the NCAA and plan to fight them. I'd expect them to lose that fight and get with further NCAA penalties. That's what happened at USC and there's more evidence (especially of direct involvement of the coaches) in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    I think they're going to end up getting hammered. They self imposed some penalties, but are disputing the most serious charges made by the NCAA and plan to fight them. I'd expect them to lose that fight and get with further NCAA penalties. That's what happened at USC and there's more evidence (especially of direct involvement of the coaches) in this case.
    Yes I think they were trying to preempt that by basically raising their hand on some stuff, but it seems like there's some pretty damning stuff out there. I've read that Hugh Freeze might lose his job over it. I recall the stuff that came out about Tunsil on draft day... not sure if true but there was some texting strings between him and a coach about an electric bill. I'm sure there's more.

Tak McKinley to have shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and a broken something I've never heard of after the combine. Will be out 5-6 months, meaning he's likely to at least miss training camp. So much for jumping up several spots after displaying his athleticism at the combine...

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Tak McKinley to have shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and a broken something I've never heard of after the combine. Will be out 5-6 months, meaning he's likely to at least miss training camp. So much for jumping up several spots after displaying his athleticism at the combine...

I'm tempted to say he's in free fall but it was always hard to figure out where he was ranked in the first place. He's got too much bad tape. Too small to set the edge, can't shed, and he does his own thing way too much. He's always going to be a 3-4 guy IMO. Not good enough against the run to have much value to 4-3 teams.

I love the bio but nothing else fits.

Combine week! For me, this is the start of the real off-season/start of next season.
    Last edited by membengal; 02-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.

I'm probably going to take next Monday off to watch, but one of my projects will be running Friday so I won't be able to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I'm probably going to take next Monday off to watch, but one of my projects will be running Friday so I won't be able to take it off.
    You're gonna take the day off work to watch the combine?

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    You're gonna take the day off work to watch the combine?
    You're not?