Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Free Agency Thread

Blog Entries
    March 7th:

Arizona agreed to terms with TE Jermaine Gresham on a four-year contract. Re-signed QB Zac Dysert to a one-year contract. Extended a contract tender offers to OL John Wetzel and DT Olsen Pierre.

Buffalo extended contract tenders to RB Mike Gillislee and G Ryan Groy.

Carolina re-signed WR Brenton Bersin to a one-year contract, S Colin Jones and DE Charles Johnson to two-year contracts. They also extended contract offers to restricted free agent G Andrew Norwell, and to exclusive rights free agents P Michael Palardy and C Tyler Larsen.

Cincinnati extended a tender offer to C T.J. Johnson.

Indianapolis announced the retirement of OL Joe Reitz. They also re-signed TE Jack Doyle.

Jacksonville re-signed G Patrick Omameh.

New England re-signed FB James Develin to a two year contact. They also gave RFAs CB Malcolm Butler a first round tender and OT Cameron Fleming a fourth round tender.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Blog Entries
    March 8th. Many of these signings are not official yet, but they are expected.

Arizona is expected to finish an extension for LB Chandler Jones.

Atlanta re-signed QB Matt Schaub.

Baltimore released LB Elvis Dumervil. They also re-signed QB Ryan Mallett and signed S Tony Jefferson.

Buffalo released WR Marcus Easley. They also came to terms with QB Tyrod Taylor, P Colton Schmidt, FB Mike Tolbert and FB Patrick DiMarco.

Carolina re-signed RB Fozzy Whittaker.

Cincinatti re-signed WR Brandon LaFell.

Dallas re-signed WR Brice Butler.

Detroit signed LB Paul Warrilow and OT Rick Wagner.

Green Bay re-signed P Jason Schum.

Indianapolis re-signed TE Jack Doyle.

Jacksonville signed DE Calais Campbell and S Barry Church.

LA Chargers re-signed S Jaheel Addae.

Miami re-signed WR Kenny Stills and DE Andre Branch.

New England traded a 4th round pick to Indianapolis for TE Dwayne Allen and a 6th round pick. (On a side note, this is exact same deal we made with the Bears last season for Marty Bennett. A 4 for the player and a six).

New York Giants signed WR Brandon Marshall.

San Francisco signed WR Marquise Goodwin, WR Pierre Garcon, QB Brian Hoyer and FB Kyle Juszczyk.

Washington re-signed TE Vernon Davis.

3. G Larry Warford is leaving Detroit, headed to New Orleans.

And he friggin' Browns nabbed G Kevin Zeitler.

Dammit.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

4. In more Lions related news, word on the street is Detroit is going to release Deandre Levy. Gave the guy a fat deal in 2015 only to pay him to not play for the better part of two seasons.

Dammit.

5. Oh. And Reilly Reiff bolted for Minnescrotum. That - if you are keeping score at home - is the entire right side of the Lions' offensive line walking out the dorr for NOTHING.

Bob Quinn, you are not blowing my skirt up, dude.

Blog Entries
    So Buffalo threw away a good corner in Nivkell Robey, lost one to free agency in Stephon Gilmore. Ibthinknit is OK to not pay Gilmore what he wanted but it was stupid to toss Robey. They signed Micah Hyde so at least slot corner got weaker. They also signed two fullback. Yay for not embracing the modern game and the skillsetsof their roster. That has gone so well for New England. Getbigger, not faster. See what it has done for nobody over the years?
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Losers yesterday:

Bills- Lost very good players and now will end up giving up on Taylor when the team's management ultimately failed him.

Bengals- Lost all but one good of the good players. Whitworth is sneaky bad loss for them. Rumors said that a couple of those deals (Whit for sure) were lost by the team over a couple million dollars here or there.

Deadskins- What a joke. You hire a guy with a known addiction problem and then fire him after the first two consecutive winning seasons in the Snyder era. Why would anyone not named Bruce Allen or Dan Snyder want to work there?

Chargers- Okung was one of the worst tackles in the league last season, truly showing that his prime is long over. Phil Rivers better up that life insurance policy. Again.

Seahawks- The Russ Wilson awful A-rod-ish photo.

In the Middle:

Bears- Didn't get a corner and signed a QB with 18 games started.... who has a 5-13 record, a completion percentage below 60 and also a 6.5 career YPA. You usually know QBs once they have 32 starts under their belt. Glennon has 18 and got killed in them, so he may still have a chance. We all knew the Cutler thing was coming, but don't be surprised if the Bears still pick Watson or Trubisky at 3. They had a couple sneaky good signings to put them solidly in the middle.

Jags- Spent a bunch of money again. With their history, they are due for some of these deals to work out. Still have Blake Bortles at QB.

Winners:

Patriots- *sigh* Brady wants to just blow away ALL THE RECORDS.

Browns- Now have a top 3 line in the AFC. Love how they used loop holes in order to make an NBA trade. Worst case for them is a heavy run team with Osweiler for one year while a QB at 12 sits for a year. Don't be surprised if the Browns go all talent core this draft and they have a USC QB starting for them in 2018. Only his name won't be Kessler. Or will Trubisky fall that far if the Broncos, Jets, and other teams try the re-tread/unproven-but-in-league/Romo route at QB? I can't remember the last time there was three positive headlines for the Browns in one day.
    Last edited by Rich Gapinski; 03-10-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

Blog Entries
    March 9:

Arizona signed K Phil Dawson and CB Antione Bethea. They also resigned C A.Q. Shipley.

Atlanta resigned DL Courtney Upshaw,

Baltimore resigned NT Brandon Williams.

Buffalo signed K Steve Hauschka and S Micah Hyde.

Carolina signed OT Matt Kalil.

Chicago released QB Jay Cutler. They signed QB Mike Glennon and S Quintin Demps.

Cincinnati resigned CB Dre Kirkpatrick.

Cleveland traded a 4th round pick to Houston for QB Brock Osweiler, a 6th round pick, and a 2018 2nd round pick. They also signed G Kevin Zeitler
    , WR Kenny Britt, C JC Tretter and resigned G Joel Bitonio.

Denver signed G Ronald Leary.

Green Bay resigned LB Nick Perry.

Jacksonville signed CB A.J. Bouye.

LA Chargers sign OT Russell Okung.

LA Rams signed LT Andrew Whitworth and WR Robert Woods.

Miami signed TE Anthony Fasano. They also resigned S Reshad Jones.

Minnesota signed OT Riley Reiff.

New England signed CB Stephan Gilmore. They also resigned DT Alan Branch and S Duron Harmon.

New Orleans signed G Larry Warford, WR Ted Ginn and LB A.J. Klein. They also resigned DT Nick Fairley.

Philadephia signed WR Alshon Jeffrey and WR Torrey Smith.

San Francisco signed QB Matt Barkley, WR Aldrick Robinson, LB Aldon Smith and K Robby Gould.

Seattle signed OL Luke Joeckel.

Tampa Bay signed DL Chris Baker and WR DeSean Jackson.

Tennessee signed S Johnathan Cyprien and CB Logan Ryan. (I expected this, but it still makes me sad).

Washington fired GM Scot McCloughan. They signed DL Terrell McClain and S D.J. Swearinger.
    Last edited by Amy; 03-10-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    I might be crazy, but I think I'd rather that the Pats had resigned Logan Ryan at 3 years/$30 million than signing Stephan Gilmore at 5/65, with 40 guaranteed. Gillmore is a better CB, yes, but Logan knows the system, and we could use that extra 35 to try and extend Butler, sign Hightower and keep Marty Bennett.

We have lots of cap space this year, but the Titans deal to Ryan came in cheaper than I expected and I'd rather have seen us bring him back.

10. It appears Martellus Bennett is headed back to the NFCN. Reports have Bennett landing in Green Bay.

This partially explains the breakdown in the Packers' negotiations with Jared Cook.