Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Free Agency Thread

Blog Entries

The Free Agency Thread

We are a week and a half away from free agency. I'll try and do a daily update on all the transactions do between now and the opening of training camps.

I'll go back to Saturday to start:

Feb 25:

New York Jets released C Nick Mangold.

Feb 26:

Carolina resigned DE Mario Addison to a 3 year contract.

Feb 27:

Arizona placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on LB Chandler Jones. They also resigned LB Gabe Martin and WR Jeremy Ross to one year contracts.

Carolina placed the non-exclusive tag on DT Kawann Short. They also resigned DE Wes Horton to a 2 year contract.

Cleveland released WR Andrew Hawkins.

Green Bay named Jeff Blasko assisstant offensive line coach, Tim McGarigle defensive quality control coach, David Raih offensive perimeter coach.

Indianapolis signed offensive lineman Fahn Cooper. In addition defensive lineman David Parry was arrested for DUI, assault, resisting arrest, criminal damage and theft of a golf cart in Arizona.

New England named Nick Caley tight ends coach.

Pittsburgh placed the exclusive tag on RB Le'Veon Bell. They also resigned WR Antonio Brown to a 5 year contract.

In case anyone does not know, there are two franchise tags. Exclusive and Non Exclusive. The differences are minor but significant.

For the exclusive tag, only the team placing the tag can negotiate with the player. Only the Steelers can talk to Bell for instance.
    For the non exclusive tag, any team can talk to the player, but they only give an offer sheet. If the player signs the offer sheet, his current team may match the offer sheet and he stays with them at that deal. If they decline to match, he goes to the team that made that offer, and his current team gets two first round picks as compensation.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

2. A few free agents who intrigue me as potential Lions:

Dont'a Hightower
    Kevin Zeitler
    Micah Hyde
    Captain Munnerlyn
    (Gulp) Nick Fairley
    Mike Glennon
    Alan Branch
    Zach Brown
    D.J. Swearinger
    Kevin Minter
    Barry Church
    Prince Amukamara
    Duron Harmon
    T.J. Lang
    Stephon Gilmore
    And the one who interests me the most: Dontari Poe
    Last edited by Patrick Sullivan; 02-28-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    Biggie, I'll be upset if we do not resign Hightower.

Now, for the update. Yesterday here is what happened.

Cleveland placed a second-round, free-agent tender on RB Isaiah Crowell. They also agreed to terms with P Britton Colquitt on a four-year contract extension.

Kansas City released RB Jamaal Charles. They signed S Eric Berry and G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif to contract extensions.

Minnesota declined the team option on RB Adrian Peterson.

New York Giants placed the non exclusive tag on DE Jason Pierre-Paul.

New York Jets released CB Derelle Revis. They also named La'Roi Glover assistant defensive line coach and reassigned offensive quality control coach, Robby Brown, to defensive assistant coach.

Washington placed the exclusive tag on QB Kirk Cousins. They also made exclusive rights tenders to OT Ty Nsekhe and OL Vinston Painter.

Steelers resign James Harrison to a 2 year, $3.5 million deal. If Harrison finishes out his contract, he'll become just the 3rd LB in NFL history (Clay Matthews, Junior Seau) to play past his 40th birthday.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Blog Entries
    Yesterday was a quiet day. In addition to the James Harrison deal Brian noted above, the only other move was the Rams tagging CB Trumane Johnson.

6. This started out as one of the most stacked free agent classes in recent memory. I am not surprised to see all these guys getting the franchise tag. Teams don't want to overpay their own players and that is exactly what they would have to do to keep most of the big name FAs.

Add Chris Long to my list of FAs I would like to see Detroit make a run at. Ziggy Ansah needs a counterpart.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    Another quiet day yesterday.

The only news was that Tennessee extended the contract of backup QB Matt Cassel.

Blog Entries
    It was an all northeast quiet day.

New England released T Sebastian Vollmer.

New York Giants promoted Rob Leonard to assistant defensive line coach. They also named Bobby Blick defensive assistant and Pratik Patel director of performance nutrition/assistant strength and conditioning coach.

New York Jets released WR Brandon Marshall.

Blog Entries
    Chicago resigned LS Patrick Sales and QB Connor Shaw to one year contracts.

New Orleans rejected a New England offer of the 32nd pick in the draft for WR Brandin Cooks and a late round pick.

Blog Entries
    Sunday was quiet, Monday had some activity and this week should have lots. Yesterday, here is what happened.

Buffalo released TE Gerald Christian, K Dan Carpenter, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, LS Garrison Sanborn and S Phillip Thomas.

Chicago re-signed TE Daniel Brown to a one-year contract. They also tendered exclusive rights to WR Josh Bellamy and DB Bryce Callahan.

Jacksonville released CB Davon House.

LA Rams re-signed CB Trumane Johnson.

Minnesota announced the retirement of LB Chad Greenway.

Tampa Bay signed DE William Gholston to a five year extension.

Washington signed Head Coach Jay Gruden to a multiyear extension.