Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT-Browns

I think the advanced analytical approach is only a matter of time before it takes over the NFL much like the NBA and MLB. A lot of data sets out there. The Browns are setting themselves up nicely. 10 picks in the top 100 in the next two drafts. Just invested a ton into the offensive line where they have 3 guys at or near the top of their position. Crowell was pretty good last year at the beginning. The Britt contract was a head-scratcher. Getting ready to pair a freak athlete with Jamie Collins on defense. Had a couple of ends that played fairly well last year. If they end up figuring corner and quarterback out, they won't be a doormat for long.

Honestly, I like the moves that Baltimore made this week as well. Woodhead is perfect for Flacco. The safety pairing is really good. Getting Williams back was huge. Really just like how they said screw the compensatory draft picks and went after some talent to make a run at the north.

Steelers losing Timmons should hurt. Looks like they are in the market for a cornerback. We lose our two best linemen and have 2-3 million to spend on what may be a running back we will ultimately make a third stringer. I'm a little salty about this week, but moreso a little nervous that we could be watching Cleveland about to take over the AFC North once Ben retires instead of us.

Everyone knows the Browns will eventually get better, but c'mon.....they're a 1-15 football team being rebuilt as if they were an expansion team. They had just as many draft picks last year and by some accounts blew nearly every one.

Kind of early to say they blew all of them, isn't it? The top 3 all looked like they could be impact players at some point. Odds are that at least one of those four rookie receivers pans out. Kessler, while he won't be there guy, certainly didn't look terrible and gives them a capable back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Kind of early to say they blew all of them, isn't it? The top 3 all looked like they could be impact players at some point. Odds are that at least one of those four rookie receivers pans out. Kessler, while he won't be there guy, certainly didn't look terrible and gives them a capable back-up.
    Right. Corey Coleman had his moments but breaking his hand didn't help. Both Kessler (and Hogan, who was a UDFA) looked pretty capable, at least as backups. Manny Ogbah looks like a player. Spencer Drango started some and while he may not start, he looks like a useful backup. Too early on some of the others, like Carl Nassib and Shon Coleman.

But it looks like they might have missed on a few, too. I guess that's why it's good to have a lot of picks.

I said by some accounts they blew nearly every one....which is pretty close to what Charlie Casserly said yesterday. And there's the rub because he said people are praising what the Browns have done based upon the unknown potential of draft picks that haven't been made yet. The moves actually made so far are less impressive.

Look, at some point Cleveland has to stop going backward. I get that. But what I also get is Cleveland willingly allowed itself to become a 1-15 in the hopes that a couple of years worth of extra draft picks would fuel their rebound. And by all rights it should. But when does the record flip? The sad and happy truth of the matter is Cleveland invested heavily in years and years of losing big in the hopes it would pay off later. Meanwhile, the Bengals get heavily criticized, and rightly so, for not doing everything they can to win.

Point being, if the Bengals would have willingly done the very same things Cleveland has done I doubt any of us would still be around to criticize or praise the results.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Right. Corey Coleman had his moments but breaking his hand didn't help.
    Coleman caught less than half of the passes thrown his way and was out produced by Taylor Gabriel, the player he replaced, in every meaningful stat. Then he put a bow on his rookie season by getting arrested in December.

I put the list of teams that would be more difficult than the Bengals to be a fan of at 2. The Browns and the Redskins. But the Bengals are trying their hardest to make it a closer race. I know what they could do to take the crown...

1. Extend Lewis
    2. Re-sign Peko
    3. Hang on to Maualuga and let him play 12% of the snaps (and play them slow and poorly)
    4. Re-affirm Pacman as one of your team captains and play him over your 1st round CB from last year.
    5. Announce Jeremy Hill is your clear cut starter

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
    I put the list of teams that would be more difficult than the Bengals to be a fan of at 2. The Browns and the Redskins. But the Bengals are trying their hardest to make it a closer race.
    I don't give things like a misery index or ranking much thought. All I know is I just spent the last 24 hours wading through an enormous amount of posts and articles written by Bengal fans and beat writers, most of them heaping praise and glory on the way a 1-15 football team does business.

Let's be clear, I'm not happy. My head knows the Rams and Browns just overpaid for Whit and Zeitler, but that fact alone doesn't make the Bengals smart for the way thy let things play out. In fact, as much as I mocked the Bengals for their idiotic House Money draft strategy back in 2015 it now seems likely I undersold their failure.

Bottom line, yesterday was a very bad day to be a Bengal fan, but the real disaster happened a few years ago and I can't help remind myself how that disaster was welcomed with open arms by many of the same fans who now want us to emulate the draft strategy of a 1-15 football team.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Coleman caught less than half of the passes thrown his way and was out produced by Taylor Gabriel, the player he replaced, in every meaningful stat. Then he put a bow on his rookie season by getting arrested in December.
    Yes, and Taylor Gabriel had Matt Ryan throwing to him, and he was on an elite offense. Rookie WRs often struggle, and with that offense and the spinning wheels at QB, it's no wonder. I think he's gonna be a very good WR in the league, but it's gonna take some time.

Blog Entries
    The Browns are making brilliant moves while the Bengals are making horrible ones. This is the same FO and coach who built a 1-15 team. They are making smart moves. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns were better than the Bengal this year