Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT-Browns

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I don't give things like a misery index or ranking much thought. All I know is I just spent the last 24 hours wading through an enormous amount of posts and articles written by Bengal fans and beat writers, most of them heaping praise and glory on the way a 1-15 football team does business.

Let's be clear, I'm not happy. My head knows the Rams and Browns just overpaid for Whit and Zeitler, but that fact alone doesn't make the Bengals smart for the way thy let things play out. In fact, as much as I mocked the Bengals for their idiotic House Money draft strategy back in 2015 it now seems likely I undersold their failure.

Bottom line, yesterday was a very bad day to be a Bengal fan, but the real disaster happened a few years ago and I can't help remind myself how that disaster was welcomed with open arms by many of the same fans who now want us to emulate the draft strategy of a 1-15 football team.
    Just because they went 1-15 doesn't mean they have a faulty strategy. Cleveland went into last year knowing they weren't going to win a super bowl and knew the quarterbacks in the draft were garbage. Now they have 3 1sts/5 2nd round picks in the next two drafts. They make the offensive line a priority with their only hole being right tackle. They get Myles Garrett as a consolation prize and will probably pluck Jimmy G. with their arsenal chest of draft picks. They had 5 one-possession losses last year. When you look at it that way, they could easily be looking at a .500 season. Maybe more. Hue Jackson could very easily get his first playoff win before Marvin.

While the Bengals are trying to tread water with a head coach with Marvin Lewis insisting on investing in a compensatory pick system that absolutely screwed them this year. What strategy would you pick? We may have won a few more games since Marvin took over, but we have the same amount of playoff wins in that timespan.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    The Browns are making brilliant moves while the Bengals are making horrible ones. This is the same FO and coach who built a 1-15 team. They are making smart moves. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns were better than the Bengal this year
    At the same time, the Browns have made "brilliant" trades and such a lot over the years then blow it with who they draft. I've thought the Browns were on their way up plenty of times before. Everyone is now expecting them to be good and might put unrealistic expectations on them.... if they have another 1-4 win season they might get tired of Hue.

Blog Entries
    I'm also not sure the Bengals win more than 4 this year. They will have a bottom 5 offense.

Blog Entries
    Also downplaying the current Browns because they made bad moves in the past makes no sense because it's a different coach and FO

I'm also not sure the Bengals win more than 4 this year. They will have a bottom 5 offense.
    eh... our o-line sucked last year, so not much has changed there.

Also downplaying the current Browns because they made bad moves in the past makes no sense because it's a different coach and FO
    Same ownership, right? There's been an excuse every time why it'll be different.

My point is simply that they've gotten expectations high, and failing to meet those quickly might make them panic again. They are on the right course, but they need to be disciplined enough to stay on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    eh... our o-line sucked last year, so not much has changed there.
    If you think our OL sucked last year take out a top 5 OG and our only servicable OT. It's going to be brutal this year. David Carr sack records brutal IMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    Same ownership, right? There's been an excuse every time why it'll be different.

My point is simply that they've gotten expectations high, and failing to meet those quickly might make them panic again. They are on the right course, but they need to be disciplined enough to stay on it.
    Again different coach and different FO with a different approach.

The Browns are making brilliant moves while the Bengals are making horrible ones. This is the same FO and coach who built a 1-15 team. They are making smart moves. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns were better than the Bengal this year
    If you agree to immediately stop being a Bengal fan I'll happily pay the admission fee allowing you to become a Brownie fan.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Just because they went 1-15 doesn't mean they have a faulty strategy.
    points/laughs