Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT-Browns

OT-Browns

Hope this thread is okay. I think what the Browns have been doing is pretty fascinating in really taking an extreme moneyball type approach from MLB to the NFL.

Today's purchasing of a draft pick is yet another really interesting move. (They are reportedly going to just cut Osweiler and eat his $16M guaranteed salary.) These trades are really common in NBA, but I can't remember ever seeing one in the NFL.

If they can avoid getting swindled by the Patriots for Garoppolo and put together a decent draft, they could be absolutely loaded in the near future. They now have 6 of the top 65 picks in this loaded draft and are going to get a transformative defensive player in Myles Garrett.

Overall, Cleveland is in much better shape than Baltimore going forward (even without a QB). We'll see how they do vs. the Bengals and Steelers, but I think they're no longer going to be a punching bag.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Hope this thread is okay. I think what the Browns have been doing is pretty fascinating in really taking an extreme moneyball type approach from MLB to the NFL.

Today's purchasing of a draft pick is yet another really interesting move. (They are reportedly going to just cut Osweiler and eat his $16M guaranteed salary.) These trades are really common in NBA, but I can't remember ever seeing one in the NFL.

If they can avoid getting swindled by the Patriots for Garoppolo and put together a decent draft, they could be absolutely loaded in the near future. They now have 6 of the top 65 picks in this loaded draft and are going to get a transformative defensive player in Myles Garrett.

Overall, Cleveland is in much better shape than Baltimore going forward (even without a QB). We'll see how they do vs. the Bengals and Steelers, but I think they're no longer going to be a punching bag.
    FWIW, a new report coming out from CLE has them saying what interested them was the player, not the pick.

Well, forget that:

Again, Browns shopping Osweiler and late rnd 17, for a 2018 3rd rnd pick and will eat "at least half" of Brock's $16M salary
    Browns telling other teams that they will also eat "at least half" of the $16M due to Osweiler this year to facilitate the trade...

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    FWIW, a new report coming out from CLE has them saying what interested them was the player, not the pick.
    Interesting, though I guess they have to say that if they don't cut him. I would think that they'd at least keep him because he's at least worth $2M or something as a backup.

But whether they keep him or cut him, that trade was obviously primarily about them getting the "free" 2nd round pick. And any value (through trade or as a backup) they can get from Osweiler is just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Interesting, though I guess they have to say that if they don't cut him. I would think that they'd at least keep him because he's at least worth $2M or something as a backup.

But whether they keep him or cut him, that trade was obviously primarily about them getting the "free" 2nd round pick. And any value (through trade or as a backup) they can get from Osweiler is just a bonus.
    Go up two posts.

More:
    Osweiler has offest language in contract. If Browns cut him amd someone else signs him, pick will cost them even less.

If I'm a Browns fan, I'm praying the organization stays the course. They could rule the division with an iron fist in five years... until they have to pay all these draft picks.

12 + 57 for McCarron, please. (Heck, I might even take 12 and 57 for Dalton and keep McCarron.)

Yes - the Browns are a team to watch. I'm sure that the Osweiler deal was a Paul DePodesta special. Interesting approach and you wonder if it sets an NFL precedent for similar-type deals in the future.

I like Hue and I hope that the Browns field more competitive teams going forward.

If the Browns focus of the trade was the pick not the player what they did was illegal per Michael Lombardi tweets:

@mlombardiNFL: I love the deal for the Browns and would cut "The Heist" but the league has strong rules on not paying for picks and this seems like it

@mlombardiNFL: Many in the NFL were upset at the Bradford trade this summer, believing that was a cash for draft pick deal. This deal is way more obvious