Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future of the OL

So I'm on record as saying this would be the worst OL performance we've ever seen under ML. I guess I won't back down from that entirely because I have zero faith in Ced and Fisher is essentially an unknown at RT. But if Boling was really hurting and can come back stronger, Bodine continues an upward trajectory, and Andre can slide into RG without a problem...I'll probably have to eat my words. I hope that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Alexander's confirmation that Andre Smith is the RG kind of has me excited to see this OL.

RT is bound to be better this year with Fisher there full time and settled into one spot.

Boling back healthy.

Bodine still improving and maturing as a player (still just 25)

Now with Andre Smith at RG. I'm not gonna say he'll be better than Zeitler, but who knows. They're different styles. Zeitler was a more athletic, pulling type. Smith will be straight power and should help mitigate some of the push up the middle.

The wildcard is of course Ogbuehi at LT. He won't be better than Whit, or even as good. But can he at least be good?

I definitely like the idea I suggested above for the running game. You run a power scheme in the middle with Boling/Bodine/Smith and then you use your two athletic tackles to pull, rather than a scheme where the two guards pull. I think that will improve the run game overall as Boling/Bodine/Smith are a more similar pairing in skill than say Boling/Bodine/Zeitler were.
    Part of that run success is on a Jeremy Hill, too. Stop dancing around, square your shoulders N-S and run through the hole.

Too many times last year, the run plays either were designed to go outside, or Jeremy popped outside when it wasn't designed there. Granted, some of the interior blocking sucked, but I think the poor run game was a combination of poor planning and execution, and that has to get fixed, big time. If it were me, I'd focus on using fewer plays, and just figure out how to execute better.

I saw a chart recently where each team's running plays were categorized, and the Bengals had a high percentage of outside runs... with Hill as your lead back and Ced getting blown up at RT for much of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Part of that run success is on a Jeremy Hill, too. Stop dancing around, square your shoulders N-S and run through the hole.

Too many times last year, the run plays either were designed to go outside, or Jeremy popped outside when it wasn't designed there. Granted, some of the interior blocking sucked, but I think the poor run game was a combination of poor planning and execution, and that has to get fixed, big time. If it were me, I'd focus on using fewer plays, and just figure out how to execute better.

I saw a chart recently where each team's running plays were categorized, and the Bengals had a high percentage of outside runs... with Hill as your lead back and Ced getting blown up at RT for much of the year.

Yeah, I saw that chart to. I'll see if I can find it. Essentially they were using hill on runs that completely go against his strengths. I also think it is imperative that they commit to using Ryan Hewitt this year.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    So I'm on record as saying this would be the worst OL performance we've ever seen under ML. I guess I won't back down from that entirely because I have zero faith in Ced and Fisher is essentially an unknown at RT. But if Boling was really hurting and can come back stronger, Bodine continues an upward trajectory, and Andre can slide into RG without a problem...I'll probably have to eat my words. I hope that is the case.
    I hope so too... but for my money it's hard to top that trainwreck 08 line. Washed-up Levi and Bobbie, Stacy "franchise" Andrews, and Guy-check. Uuuuuugh.
    ORANGE n BLACK

Worth noting in this discussion that everything is connected and all 11 guys on offense, even WRs, have an impact on pass protection.

Once AJ went down early against the Bills, teams were lining up CBs one on one with just one safety back and blitzing like crazy with extra guys in the box. Just daring LaFell and company to beat them. Andy and those guys were able to take advantage of single coverage for some big plays down the stretch (Philly game for example), but it still made life more difficult for the OL.

Having better/healthier skill position guys will help the OL. Better RB play will help the OL. Getting out to early leads, making field goals and playing better defense will help the OL.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Worth noting in this discussion that everything is connected and all 11 guys on offense, even WRs, have an impact on pass protection.

Once AJ went down early against the Bills, teams were lining up CBs one on one with just one safety back and blitzing like crazy with extra guys in the box. Just daring LaFell and company to beat them. Andy and those guys were able to take advantage of single coverage for some big plays down the stretch (Philly game for example), but it still made life more difficult for the OL.

Having better/healthier skill position guys will help the OL. Better RB play will help the OL. Getting out to early leads, making field goals and playing better defense will help the OL.
    This is a good point and a counter argument to the debate I've been having in my head. Everything this offense does seems to revolve around AJ. I've been against drafting a WR at #9 because we have AJ, Tyler came on strong at the end of the year, and LaFell deserved that second contract. The pieces fit just fine without adding another big WR and I still doubt the FO is seriously considering it (see my ranting about cloning AJ or Eifert and them still riding the bench).

But if AJ goes down, everything on offense shuts down. Adding another legit guy who could be a #1 wr would guard against that as well as give us a chance for an elite passing attack. So while not relevant to this discussion, I think I'm now on board with taking a WR if they are BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post

Sure, it's all of those things. Just funny to me that in that last game against a good DL, the OL - with TJ Johnson at G and Fisher at RT - had arguably their most impressive performance (Browns' games notwithstanding), with Rex running mainly between the tackles.

So it's possible to have success if they have a solid plan and execute it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    This is a good point and a counter argument to the debate I've been having in my head. Everything this offense does seems to revolve around AJ. I've been against drafting a WR at #9 because we have AJ, Tyler came on strong at the end of the year, and LaFell deserved that second contract. The pieces fit just fine without adding another big WR and I still doubt the FO is seriously considering it (see my ranting about cloning AJ or Eifert and them still riding the bench).

But if AJ goes down, everything on offense shuts down. Adding another legit guy who could be a #1 wr would guard against that as well as give us a chance for an elite passing attack. So while not relevant to this discussion, I think I'm now on board with taking a WR if they are BPA.
    I encourage you to remember what Marvin said at the end of last season. Even with Lafell, he admitted deep speed opposite AJ Green was the major ingredient this offense lacked and he sited it as one of the two biggest off-season personnel needs (along with Pass rusher).

And let's not forget how fiercely they were considering a WR with deep speed last year. Remember when many of us thought they were going to take one of Fuller/Coleman/Dobson until those guys went right before?

Corey Davis is my favorite WR in this draft, but it's those two things that make me think John Ross might be an easy pick at #9 if they find him to be BPA without any trade-down partners. You just can't teach that, and it will add an incredibly dangerous weapon to the offense in an instant. And, of course, as you guys discuss, if AJ goes down we still have a deep-ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I encourage you to remember what Marvin said at the end of last season. Even with Lafell, he admitted deep speed opposite AJ Green was the major ingredient this offense lacked and he sited it as one of the two biggest off-season personnel needs (along with Pass rusher).

And let's not forget how fiercely they were considering a WR with deep speed last year. Remember when many of us thought they were going to take one of Fuller/Coleman/Dobson until those guys went right before?

Corey Davis is my favorite WR in this draft, but it's those two things that make me think John Ross might be an easy pick at #9 if they find him to be BPA without any trade-down partners. You just can't teach that, and it will add an incredibly dangerous weapon to the offense in an instant. And, of course, as you guys discuss, if AJ goes down we still have a deep-ball game.
    Wouldn't hate Ross but I think I'd prefer to get a defensive playmaker at 9 and go for like a Josh Reynolds later.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Wouldn't hate Ross but I think I'd prefer to get a defensive playmaker at 9 and go for like a Josh Reynolds later.
    Josh Reynolds, Josh Malone, KD Cannon. Those are all guys who I think can beat you deep, who should be available in round 3 or later.

My observations:

Reynolds doesn't quite have the speed but his route savvy gets him open and his ball skills are nuts.

Malone has the most speed, and is on some level the most difficult to gauge because Dobbs was so frequently inaccurate. Might have the most upside of the group.

Cannon doesn't have the size and probably not the route running, but he's got great speed and is a real contested catch winner.