Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2-3 Million more per hobson

2-3 Million more per hobson

I am not about to say something overly dramatic like I will stop rooting for the Bengals. I would much rather spend time in here with you yahoos discussing their mis-steps than pretend that. At least I have a support group. But I think today was really bad day for not just 2017 but beyond. Eventually we will want a new coach. But who would coach here? If you had another option would you? The team just let there best offensive lineman walk. The key to their offense is protecting a QB that statistically doesn't play well under pressure. They needed one guy to do that. A guy who said he wanted to retire here. And they didn't do it to save about 2 million? If they were concerned about a long term deal they could have just franchised him. Paid a little more than they wanted. Sold more tickets for 2017 to pay for it because at the very least it gives the fans something to hope for.

What frustrates me even more is this part in the Dre Kirkpatrick article. Every single person who follows the Bengal with any depth realized this is nonsense.

With Kirkpatrick counting about $10 million against the cap this year and wide receiver Brandon LaFell another $5 million, the Bengals only have about $2-3 million for another deal to fit in under the $16-18 million they have budgeted to spend.

If you were a coach looking for a place to work, knowing that there isn't just 2-3 Million left here but 20-30 dependent on cutting 2 players that don't really have a role here any more and you should cut anyway, wouldn't you pause before you accepted? To me when you are hired for any job one question that you must have answered is will you give me the tools necessary for me to be successful in this task. If you tell me to mop a floor but don't give me a bucket I am not accepting that job. Letting the second most important player on your team walk when you didn't have to, in order to save money that you don't have to save and risky a completely wasted year because of it is so stupid it gives me a headache. We could have just cut Maualuga, gave Whit his money and moved forward into a year with a ton more hope.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...e-bc76b7801261
    Last edited by Bengalbro; 03-09-2017 at 07:54 PM.

I couldn't bring myself to post that article, lol.

I don't think this will end up being the case. It simply can't. Even though Hobson often puts out fake numbers, this one is more extreme than the others have been. I suspect they end up spending probably another $11M in free agency, which is still much less than they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

I don't think this will end up being the case. It simply can't. Even though Hobson often puts out fake numbers, this one is more extreme than the others have been. I suspect they end up spending probably another $11M in free agency, which is still much less than they could.
    I was wondering why it wasn't here. I saw a quote where I think someone from the national scene was asking goodberry why they were saying they only had 2-3 million when they really had 20?

The numbers are conservative and I think you're right about them spending another $10-15M on FAs. I don't think they could spend all that much more though.

As of today, they have ~$24M under the cap.

I think Hobson and the Bengals are probably budgeting $7M or so for a Burfict extension. He's only making $5M now in the last year of his deal and I think his market is at least $12M per year. IMO they absolutely have to get that done now or he's going to cost $15M per year next offseason and he'll be tough to franchise b/c of the pass rushing OLBs inflating the LB tag (and Eifert is a great candidate for the tag next yr. due to low numbers for TEs). They can't let Burfict get away. Can you imagine having to play him twice a year if he ends up in Cleveland, Baltimore or Pittsburgh?

If they count that, which they should, they're down to $17M available and you know the Bengals always budget $15M for rookies, practice squad, injuries, etc. So I think that's how they're getting to that low $2-3M number.

My take: If they're hinting at cuts, they are going to make them when they need that money. Jones and Maualuga are the obvious guys and add that $10M. The $15M for rookies/injuries is also a little bit conservative so they can squeeze out a couple million from there if needed.

To heck with the President, I want Hobson to release HIS tax returns. They have to be an absolute disaster.

Eff Hobson.

If there is 1 thing this organization should NOT have done after a day like yesterday, it was spew their cap idiocy. You talk about putting salt in what was 2 pretty big wounds. They are so blind to the idea of fan friendly.

It is very difficult to be a fan of the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
    If there is 1 thing this organization should NOT have done after a day like yesterday, it was spew their cap idiocy. You talk about putting salt in what was 2 pretty big wounds. They are so blind to the idea of fan friendly.

ha, the exact reason why I didn't post it.

ha, the exact reason why I didn't post it.
    It is a shame that the organization worth hundreds of millions doesn't have someone employed with the kind of sense that you possess. You saw no reason to rile up the small number of posters on a message board... yet they thought it would be a good idea to enrage a fan base that was already on suicide watch. They are nothing if not brilliant and forward thinking!

If you can't laugh about them, you would just break down and cry.

not saying it's ok, but it sounds like they're hoarding at least part of the cap space for extensions for Burfict and Eifert.